SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need help with a Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nellie

Need help with a Scripture

I would like to know if anyone knows where it is in the Bible that Jesus went to hell and took the Keys from Satan? Or is this in the Bible?

I've heard Preachers preach it, but haven't been able to find the Scripture.

Thank-you so much.

God Bless
Nellie :-)

2005/12/7 18:12Profile
paula4jc

Re: Need help with a Scripture

Maybe these vesres.
Ephesians 4
7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why it[a] says:
"When he ascended on high,
he led captives in his train
and gave gifts to men."[b] 9(What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions[c]? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

2005/12/7 18:53Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: Need help with a Scripture

I do not know when Jesus gets the keys, but He has them in Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
:-o

2005/12/7 19:44Profile
Nellie

Re:

I appreciate your answers, and I knew these Scriptures. but the one I can't find is Jesus taking the Keys from Satan.
I know Jesus has them now.
Nellie

2005/12/7 19:59Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

did Satan ever have the keys? I can't find that anywhere in scripture...neither can i find that Jesus ever went to hell the place of death and damnation. he went to the place of the OT redeemed to lead them to paradise "when he ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men". As far as I know God always had the keys...maybe the Son didn't have them until the Father gave them over at the ascension, when Christ had been given all authority, per Matt. 28:18. Someone please correct me if Scripture says otherwise.

blessings,
denver

2005/12/7 20:03Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Hi Nellie,

I'm listening to a sermon and found this one for you. It's way above my head but I saw John Gill's commentary and will leave that for you to prayerfully consider.

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Rev 9:2 - And he opened the bottomless pit,.... With the key that was given him; he made use of his universal power over all bishops and churches, enacted laws, issued out decrees, made articles of faith, and imposed them on men's consciences, and obliged all to submit to his hellish principles and practices; and this, as it may be applied to Mahomet, the eastern antichrist, may regard the publishing of his Alcoran, and obliging all his followers to receive it as the infallible word of God:

and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; the Complutensian edition reads, "of a burning furnace"; and so the Syriac and Arabic versions; which may design false doctrine, and superstitious worship, which sprung from the decrees of popes and councils, and the Alcoran of Mahomet: and smoke being a dark thin vapour, and very troublesome to the eyes and nose, and of a perishing nature, which soon vanishes away, these are fitly expressed by it; for they are the hidden things of darkness, and the authors and abettors of them are such who darken counsel by words without knowledge; they are empty things, have no solidity and substance in them, are comparable to wood, hay, stubble, smoke, and wind; and are very troublesome and offensive to all enlightened persons, and who have the smell and savour of divine things; and will all perish with the using, being the doctrines and commandments of men, when the true Gospel is an everlasting one. Smoke sometimes designs great afflictions, punishments, and judgments upon men, Gen_15:17; and here may represent those judgments, both spiritual and temporal, which the antichristian doctrine and worship, brought upon the world, and which have been manifest in all ages since.

And the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit; Christ, the sun of righteousness, was greatly obscured by the Romish antichrist, by his false doctrine and worship, in his offices, merits, and grace, he taking upon him to be head of the church, the infallible interpreter of Scripture, and to give out pardons and indulgences; and particularly by the doctrines of merit, of works of supererogation, and of justification by works, &c. as he also was by Mahomet, who represented him only as a mere man, and exalted himself above him as a prophet; and by both were "the air", the church which receives its light from Christ, darkened; or the Scriptures, which are the breath of God, are given by inspiration of him, these were most grievously beclouded, and most wretchedly perverted, both by the decrees of popes, and the Alcoran of Mahomet. And it is remarkable what Abulpharagius (b), an Arabic writer, reports, that in the seventeenth year of Heraclius the emperor, which was the year 627, and the fifth of the Hegira, in which year Mahomet began to plunder and make war; for in this year was his plundering excursion into Dumato'l Jundal, and the battle of Bani Lahyan, that half of the body of the sun was darkened; and the darkness remained from Tisrin the first, to the month Haziran, so that very little of its light appeared; which might portend that darkness he was introducing by his wretched religion. And frequently the sun and air have been darkened at noonday by the locusts, as Pliny (c) relates; and of which we have had a late account from Transylvania; see Exo_8:15.

(b) Hist. Dynast. p. 99, 102. (c) Nat. Hist. l. 11. c. 29.

2005/12/7 20:35Profile
dohzman

Re:

The keys are a symbol of authority. The ministers who use such picturistic launguage(sp?) are doing that for an emotional grab at thier listners and thier sermon has no real scriptural basis. Word of Faith ministers use this alot. But the literal taking of the keys from satan in hell isn't biblical. Just fanciful preaching by thoses who strut on stage trying to raise an emotional fevor among thier listeners. They usually make up some big contest between Jesus and satan in hell. Jesus' work (atonement) was finished on the cross, though. Basically. But this topic can open up a whole can of worms and branch off endlessly. But again as to the literal taking of the keys, no...

2005/12/7 20:35Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

I've heard this terms being used in a compilation as well...and agree with dohzman:

Quote:
The ministers who use such picturistic launguage(sp?) are doing that for an emotional grab at thier listners and thier sermon has no real scriptural basis...Just fanciful preaching by thoses who strut on stage trying to raise an emotional fevor among thier listeners. They usually make up some big contest between Jesus and satan in hell.

Somehow it always remains difficult to stick to the word of God. Many people want to add power and authority to it, others try to render it powerless, but few trust in the power of Gods word itself (through the Holy Spirit).

A wonderful verse about what Jesus did with satan is this one:

"Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives."
[b]Hebrews 2:14-15[/b]

In Christ,

Paul

2005/12/8 1:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Nellie's

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone knows where it is in the Bible that Jesus went to hell and took the Keys from Satan? Or is this in the Bible???I've heard Preachers preach it, but haven't been able to find the Scripture.

No, it isn't in the Bible. It is part of Catholic Medieval teaching known as the 'harrowing of hell' or 'ransom to the devil theory'. We had a little discussion which touched on this some time ago from the scripture [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=2942&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]1 Peter 3:19[/url]

I think the idea probably came from a combination of the verses in Peter, the Ephesians reference already quoted and the verses in Hebrews“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.” (Heb. 2:14-15, KJVS)

The 'key' is a symbol of authority. Back in OT times David's treasurer held the 'key of the house of David' (Is 22:22) and in the Revelation this picture is presented of Christ as the 'royal treasurer' whose doors are open to us “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath [u]the key of David[/u], he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;” (Rev. 3:7, KJVS)

2005/12/8 5:01Profile
Nellie

Re:

Thank-you all so much for your help.
I appreciate your time in sending me the Scriptures.
God Bless
Nellie :-)

2005/12/9 15:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy