SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rick Warren's revealing comments

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimbob

Re:

Where do you get that hell is mentioned 420 times in the NT? I'm sitting here with my concordance, I count 23 times for "hell" and "hades" combined!

2005/10/29 4:56Profile
JCGarc55

Re:

Quote:

I could go on and on there are 128 times Jesus mentions Heaven.

what is the context of the usage though?

Matthew 5:20
"For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven."

these are just a couple off the first page of
hits on got on the word "heaven".

To say Jesus spoke mostly about heaven is misleading unless you explain fully.

2005/10/30 3:45Profile
JCGarc55

Re:

hello again jimbob,

you said:

Quote:
You or I just don't know this side of Heaven how many will be won or lost for Christ through this mans approach, it's still between the individual and God and all of our protests won't change any thing in that respect.

Why then in your opinion do we have so many warnings in the epistles about false teachers and their teachings?

I'm no heresy hunter but Christians should be willing to test things against the Word of God. Warren's book does not stand the test. Have you checked Warren's quotes of bible verses? He purposely used The Message version for his references because they are not accurately translated.

Also, if you take a look at the Purpose Driven Church, you'll get a better idea of whats behind the PDL book and Rick Warren's whole approach. It's basically all about accomodating the sinner IN CHURCH, focusing on the goats rather than the sheep.
Warren's whole approach is about methods, surveys, and marketing.

I totally believe in reaching the lost and evangelism, but not at the expense of Truth, i.e.- watering things down (no more altars, long prayers, mentioning of Hell or Judgement, The Blood of Jesus). I could give you page numbers and examples where Warren suggest such things.

2005/10/30 4:05Profile
jimbob

Re:

The context of the usage is HEAVEN, it is used 128 times! The context of the usage of HELL is used 11 times! Are we having having a hard time grasping this concept?

If Jesus is talking about what the kingdom of Heaven is like or how to get there, then He's talking about HEAVEN!

If Jesus is talking about what hell is like or how to get there, then He's talking about HELL!

The ratio is 10 to 1,Heaven to Hell. Study your Bible.

Now you say the PDL book is wrong, give me one example of a heresy in the book, not something you don't like, but an actual heretical statement. There are 13 pages to this thread yet I don't recall anyone pointing out an actual heretical statement from the book, I'm not saying there aren't any, but I would like to see it.

2005/10/30 11:22Profile
LetUsPray

Re: Rick Warren's revealing comments: INDEED!

On page 20 of the Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren writes that God is not just the starting point of our life; He is the SOURCE of it. One cannot possibly as a Christian state that this is wrong. This is exactly the same message I received from God, well before this book was published: Church stop your programs and activities and return to His Word, study it and obey it. This is the same message each Christian should hear from God, if they are really seeking Him.

As the Church we major at pointing fingers at “sinners” and look to well-known preachers and pastors for answers, while there is only ONE TRUTH and that TRUTH is God, and there is NO OTHER.

Consider King David, a man loved by God. He committed adultery and murder just to satisfy his own lust. Yet, God loved him. You know why? Because in all his sin, David always turned back to God and repented. He sought God; he may have wandered, but He always turned back to God, NOT to men, but to God. How would King David have made out in "our Christian world" today? Would we consider him a prophet, a man loved by God? Frankly, I doubt it.

That is what some of us seem to major in, pointing out the sin of our government, other Christians, or the world, instead of turning to God’s Word, finding Him and Worshipping HIM in Spirit and in Truth.

2005/10/30 12:54Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: error

jimbob, and all others who do not have a problem with The Purpose Driven Life..I submit this information.

Purpose Driven Life Page 10

1. Noah's life was transformed by 40 days of rain
2. Moses was transformed by 40 days on Mount Sinai
3. The spies were transformed by 40 days in the Promised land
4. David was transformed by Goliath's 40 day challenge
5. Elijah was transformed when God gave him 40 days of strength from a single meal
6. The city of Nineveh was transformed when God gave the people 40 days to change
7. Jesus was empowered by 40 days in the wilderness
8.The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his resurrection.

What does the Bible say about these events..

**If Noah had waited until it had started to rain, he and his family would have drowned with the rest of the world..
1.Noah was transformed when he encountered God, and believed Him. Genesis 6: 13-22
2.Moses was transformed when he encountered God, and believed Him Exodus Ch. 3
3.Only 2 of the men that went into the Promised Land, Caleb, and Joshua, came back with positive reports, the other 10 brought back evil reports. Numbers 13:28-33 14:6
4.David was transformed when he trusted on the Lord. 1 Samual 17:37
5.Elijah was transformed when the Lord spoke to him, and comforted him. 1 Kings 19:9-19
6.The city of Nineveh was transformed when they believed God & repented. Jonah 3:5
7.Jesus was empowered when He received the Holy Spirit. Matthew 3: 16-17 Mark 1:10-11 Luke 3:22 John 1:32-34 Jesus was sent into the wilderness to be tempted by satan! Matthew 4:1 Mark 1:13 Luke 4:2
8.The disciples were encouraged by contact with the risen Lord (Luke 24:52) but were not transformed (Mark 16:14) They were transformed by waiting (Acts 1:4) and being filled by the Holy Spirit. Acts Ch. 2

These examples of error, misdirection are found on page 10 of The Purpose Driven Life..I believe that there is sufficent error here to call this book herecy, and is just another man made attempt to conform the gospel of God to fit man..
I have another concern with a statement by Rick Warren on page 12 of this same book.
" I am excited because I know all the great things that are going to happen to you". How can he possibly "know"?? If I could stomach it, I would go further into the book, but if this is how it starts, how can it ever redeem itself????? In Christ Greg :-?

2005/10/30 19:28Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

I agree with Smokey. Well put.

We must also realize that a statement can be just as heretical by what it doesn't say, as it can by what it does say. Remember, 50% or 75% or 99% truth is still 100% a lie.

We have many people and preachers who don't blatantly preach outward lies, but the parts they leave out or quickly gloss over is what makes their teaching and preaching so dangerous and just as heretical as blatant lies. These “little white lies” that slip into teaching and preaching that make the message easier to swallow are more dangerous and ear tickling than blatant lies.

So one question we might want to all ask ourselves with Rick Warren's teachings, and Joel Osteen's, Joyce Meyer's, and your own pastor's, and thousands of others is:

"WHAT ARE THEY LEAVING OUT OR GLOSSING OVER???"

2005/10/30 20:07Profile
jimbob

Re:

I was going to lambast you over your ignorance, but I see that you simply do not reconize that others have a different burden or calling than yourself. I see that if someone does not agree with YOUR opinions 100% as you see them, than that person in your eyes is indeed in danger of hells fire.

Luke 9:51-56; " When the days were approaching for His ascension, He was determined to go to Jerusalem; and he sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to make arrangements for Him. But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling towards Jerusalem. When his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them? But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." And they went on to another village."

If some is condemned in your eyes for what they DON'T SAY, Lord have mercy on your souls.

2005/10/30 21:05Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Maybe you misunderstand. I know many bothers and sisters with a different calling or burden than my own. I am not talking about me or my opinions at all, these you are more then welcome to disagree with, what I am talking about is the Word, character and nature of God. If you preach or believe all hell and no heaven or all heaven and no hell - then you are a liar and misrepresenting God and His Son Jesus Christ. This will absolutely endanger you of Hell fire. The Scriptures show us repeatedly that God does not take lightly those who misrepresent His character or twist or water down His Words. If you preach salvation without repentance or repentance without conviction, confession, or turning from sin - you are in very grave danger of Hell fire. If preach all love and no wrath, or all grace and no judgment, or all mercy and no fury or anger, then, again you misrepresent God and His Son Jesus Christ, and are in danger of hell fire. If you preach a self-serving humanistic Jesus you are in danger of the same. If you preach a God who condones homosexuality or adultery, but every thing else you preach is correct, you are preaching a false God and are in danger of hell fire. It is not me you must agree with 100%, for I have many brother and sister who I share minor disagreements with, but rather, my friend, it is God you must agree with 100%. It is not my opinion of God, but the God of the Bible and likewise it is not my opinion of Jesus that you must agree with, but the Jesus of Scripture in whom you must believe to be saved. That’s the problem many believe in a God and a Jesus they have made up in their own minds and not the God and Jesus of the Bible. The believe in a half Jesus or a half God or a half gospel that is really not the real God or real Jesus or real Gospel written about in the Scriptures. We absolutely must insist that men preach the FULL council, nature, and character of God and not some half truths that are easy to swallow and thus misrepresent God. I think you would be hard pressed to one other preacher on this site or person on this forum who would disagree with this. I hope this helps clarify and/or open your eyes to the truth.

It is a good thing you didn't try to lambast me, you might of just ended up making yourself look silly and foolish. :-P It is always better to discuss things first - save the lambasting for last resort. ;-)

2005/10/30 22:18Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: ignorqance

jimbob

As I continue to shake my head over your response, I have to realise that even when scripture is used to exspose error, there are those who choose to cling to a lie.
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Greg

2005/10/30 22:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy