SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Baptism with the Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Re Baptism with the Spirit

This has been an excellent discussion, and it is a blessing that we can all remain teachable, seeking out the truth about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, searching through the Word, and allowing the Spirit to teach us.

Travis and William, your posts have been extremely helpful, because it is one thing to have a doctrine about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but it is quite another thing to have the experience. Of course our experience should line up with the teachings in the Word of God, and it appears to me that both of you guys are not only filled with the Holy Spirit, but you operate in the gifts of the Spirit, and you flow in the love of God.

God will never withdraw His gifts, because the gifts and the calling of God are without repentance. (Romans 11:29).
Ephesians 5:18 implies that we are to be continually filled with the Holy Spirit. This speaks of our relationship and fellowship with Christ. Staying full of the Holy Spirit is dependent on our abiding in Christ. We must stay connected to the Vine and draw on His life in order to bear fruit.

Another good discussion would be to start a topic on how does a Christian bring forth fruit that is pleasing to God.

2017/8/11 9:33Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

George:

Quote:
Nowhere in the Word of God is anyone admonished to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Not once in their epistles do Paul or Peter or James or John write anything about believers "receiving their baptism," or "having their Pentecost."

This is a true statement, but the absence of a particular statement in the letters of four men does not mean that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not a reality. We do, however, have three instances other than the day of Pentecost in the book of Acts in which believers received a second infilling or baptism of the Holy Spirit. In two of those three instances they spake with tongues and prophesied. In the third we do not know what the manifestation was, but we do know it was significant enough that Simon was willing to pay money for the ability to reproduce what He either saw or heard. We also have an instance of some of the apostles being filled with the Holy Spirit (The place was shaken and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit). So we see that there is a baptism in the Holy Spirit that is different from the baptism into Christ and His death in Romans 6 (the rebirth). It has an initiation, an initial baptism. We see the apostles receiving this in Acts 2. But then it is a continual walk in which the Holy Spirit continually fills us as is evidenced by the occasion I mentioned.

So there is ample evidence for this baptism. After Jesus ascended, the Apostles and over 100 other people gathered in the upper room. They were already believers. They had already, by faith in the sacrifice of Christ, been born again. But there was more for them to receive. There was another baptism that God had prepared for them. A baptism of power, of fire.

I have seen people who received he baptism of the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation. I was not one of those. I was born again at 8 and experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit abiding in me. That happens at salvation. But I still needed another baptism if you will, the induement of power from on high. I received that at 18, and I can tell you it was a very real and very life-changing experience.

2017/8/11 9:37Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Baptism with the Holy Spirit

Brother Mike,

Thank you and maybe it is time to move on to another subject :)

It is just that I feel compelled to give input on such an important subject as this truly can effect our whole Christian walk and service.

Maybe I should end off by saying: " You show me your Spirit Baptism by the fruit alone and I will show mine by both fruit and demonstration of gifts"
:)

Blessings,

2017/8/11 10:00Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

William: I like that. If our lives do not show fruit, we have to ask what we have planted? This discussion has truly been a blessing to me. Bless you brothers and sisters.

2017/8/11 10:12Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
a-servant wrote

Also, I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere in the last 11 pages...

Acts 8.14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria.

15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit,

16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

I simply don't understand how this can be explained away....

God bless,
Lisa

2017/8/11 15:14Profile

Re:

Mike said:

"""""Another good discussion would be to start a topic on how does a Christian bring forth fruit that is pleasing to God.""""""

That's a wonderful idea. Also, can we do an interactive study on 2 Peter 1?

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

2017/8/11 20:04
a-servant

Re:

Luke 24.49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

= pre Pentecost, the Holy Spirit hasn't arrived yet

I think we did talk about the other one, the time of Pentecost was that time in history to bring different groups of believers into the church:

1. Jewish believers, (Acts 2).
2. Samaritan believers (despised, outcasts, mongrels, part Jew and part Gentile), Acts 8:14-17.
3. Gentile believers (Cornelius and other "Gentile dogs"), Acts 10:45-46.
4. Disciples of John the Baptist, Acts 19:1-6.

After the first representatives of these four distinct groups (Jews, Samaritans, Gentiles, and disciples of John the Baptist) had been incorporated into the body of Christ, there is no record of speaking in tongues when the Holy Spirit came into the hearts of believers.

Samaritan believers:

This account is a bit difficult to understand, given the fact that it says that these people, "were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." This was obviously water baptism, because the whole point was that they still needed to be baptized with the Holy Spirit. But the question is - Why could they be baptized in the name of Jesus, and yet still need to receive the Holy Spirit? Doesn’t this prove that the baptism with the Spirit is a second blessing, wholly distinct from salvation? 

This passage does NOT say these people were, "saved in the name of Jesus." It says that they were BAPTISED in His name – and baptism, even in the name of Jesus, doesn’t birth anyone from above, even today. The fact that the passage never mentions salvation seems significant. The point is, they were NOT born again – under the New Covenant – for they had NOT yet received the new birth from above. They had simply received the Word of God, and had been baptized in the name of Jesus – which was nothing more than John’s baptism.

2017/8/11 20:16Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes but it says they were "believers." When in the NT are believers not "born again?"

2017/8/11 21:20Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Mike, Travis, Wiliam

So....WHY has God given you this experience you call the "baptism with the Holy Spirit" and not to others?

Are some Christians "greater" than others.....?

2017/8/12 9:21Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Sree

The Lord Jesus emerged from Jordan into the new day of the Holy Spirit.

It IS FINISHED!

Rom. 6:4 -- Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

Rom. 6:5 -- For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection.

As the Lord Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit when He emerged from Jordan, so we too are filled with the Holy Spirit in our union with Him in His resurrection.

2017/8/12 10:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy