SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What books are you reading?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Has anyone heard of H. S. Vigeveno? I read a book by him called "13 Men Who Changed The World". I thought it was quite good.

2017/2/16 18:59Profile
dohzman

Just starting to read

The Life and Epistles of St. Paul by W. J. Conybeare and J. S. Howson

2017/2/18 18:58Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Just starting to read

Dozman,

Hope it is as much a blessing to you as it was to me. It's not easy readism (if there is such a word), but I found it gives some great insight and puts context to the establisment of the church. I would love to find similar books on sime of the other apostles such as Peter and John, but there is not so much biblical narative on them I guess.

Let me know how you find it after reading.

2017/2/19 4:07Profile
dohzman

Re:

Just one chapter in , I'll update ya , usually on first reads I am a little slower because it takes a bit more time for me to wrap my mind around what I am reading. I have a fairly decent library, Flavel, Owens and most of the early church writers, not sure why I put this one off for so long, I've read a good many excerpts from it just never the entire book.

2017/2/19 18:11Profile
Jeremy221

Re: What books are you reading?

Christ and the Powers by Hendrik Berkhof, a book recommended by Art Katz. I've heard Art teach much of its contents but it's a lot different to read it. I've read through it once but feel that it is so tightly packed it will take another go to get more out.

Edit: Added author

2017/2/20 2:27Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Have We Missed the Second Coming?: A Critique of the Hyper-Preterist Error by Kenneth Gentry

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VW876CY/

I haven't finished reading this yet. While I am aware of Escatalogical Preterism which believes that much of what Jesus prophesied in Matt. 24 came to pass in 70 A.D., I was not aware of the Hyper-Preterist movement which apparently is a cult like organism that exists mostly on the internet and believes that ALL prophecy was fulfilled by 70 A.D.

Most preterists I know believe that Jesus will come back to Earth bodily sometime in the future and the dead will rise, etc. I don't have a beef with them too much although I myself am not a preterist. Hyper-preterists, because they believe that the 2nd coming and judgement on the world happened in 70 A.D. and won't happen in the future are quite unorthodox and dangerous, to be frank about it. They employ a theological system that takes verses and forces them to fit their preconceived ideas. They can be compared with Jehovah Witnesses in this regard. The book shows what verses they use and how to be prepared for interacting with them.

-Daniel

2017/2/23 23:10Profile

Re: response to david winter

now thats an idea..that is why i cant find a real bible study..people seem to be spending more time reading other books..not that im against this...but it would be wonderful to read the book of ephesians or any book and pray and talk abut Gods beautiful word.

2017/2/24 1:41
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Books sometimes can be a distraction really. I know a brother who in his youth used to read a lot of books, but now even when I am trying to persuade him to read something, he says he wants just to read the Bible.

But that is different with every one of us, I guess. I love reading books when I have time to... The main point is that we should not shift our focus from our relationship with Christ. What's your profit when all your theology is right but you don't know Jesus? If God does not speak to you personally? It is really wonderful and encouraging to see God in history and in the life of others but let us always seek to know Him personally!

Having said that, here is my list of books...

- The Normal Christian Life - Watchman Nee
- The Overcoming Life - W. Nee
- Sit, Walk, Stand - W. Nee
- Why Revival tarries - L.Ravenhill
- Absolute Surrender - A. Murray
- Candels in the dark - A. Carmichael
- Mimosa - A. Carmichael
- Struggling but winning - Peter Jeffery
- The Pilgrim's Progress - J. Bunyan
- Tortured for Christ - R. Wurmbrand

I think I have not yet finished one of the books of Amy Carmichael but all these have been a blessing to me. We should always pray that God opens our ears to hear what He is speaking, so that in the end our hearts, not just our heads are changed.

I hope that what we read will not stand against us on the Judgement Day but rather draw our hearts nearer to Him!

2017/2/24 4:01Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: What books are you reading?

The Better Covenant by Ron Bailey. Available on Amazon.

Ron Bailey first goes through the Old Testament giving insight regarding the many covenants found there in order to compare or contrast them with the New Covenant of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He shows also how the New Covenant was promised in several Old Testament passages.

The title for The Better Covenant is taken from Hebrews:

"But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises" (Heb. 8:6 NKJV).

I highly recommend this book. In my opinion it ought to be on every Christian's "required reading" list. It will help lay foundational understanding as to this wondrous New Covenant we are involved in.

2017/2/24 11:39Profile
dohzman

Re: The Better Covenant by Ron Bailey

That will be the next. The way he unpacks scripture is very rare. He has a way in framing questions that can cause you to dig a little deeper in discovering the real you in the answers.

2017/2/24 18:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy