SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Marriage Ordained By God by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A Marriage Ordained By God by Zac Poonen

Before Abraham finished his life, we read in Genesis 24 of his concern for his son. He sent his servant to go and find a bride for his son. There are many marriages mentioned in Scripture, but only two marriages that we see clearly as being God-ordained. One was Adam’s. Eve was definitely God’s choice. The other was Isaac’s marriage. Rebekah was God’s choice too. People ask me, “Do you believe in arranged marriages?” “Yes,” I tell them, “I believe in marriages arranged by God!” God may arrange it through one’s parents (as in Isaac’s case) or apart from parents (as in Adam’s case). The thing that matters is that it must be arranged by God.

If you are a godly father, you will have a concern for your children’s marriages. If you as a young man are fortunate enough to have a godly father, I would say that you should take his advice very seriously. If such a godly father says “No”, to the one you want to marry, wait. God may be testing you there. Your father’s “No” may only be for a time. After God sees that you are willing to respect your godly father’s advice, He will give you the partner He has chosen.

Abraham sending his servant to find a wife for Isaac is a picture of God the Father sending His Holy Spirit to earth to pick a bride for His Son Jesus Christ. That is what is happening in the world today as the gospel is preached. Read that chapter, and you will find some beautiful analogies.

One of the tests that the servant applied was to find out whether the girl would be willing to offer water to his camels. You know that camels drink a lot of water. What Abraham’s servant wanted to find out was whether the girl was a gracious, hard-working girl. And Rebekah was such a girl. She was also a modest girl, for it is clear from Genesis 24:16, that she had no interest in gazing at strangers, like Abraham’s servant who was at that well. She had filled her jar with water and was about to go home, when Abraham’s servant made his request. That is the type of wife you need.

And that is the type of bride for Christ that the Father looks for on earth too. God led Abraham’s servant sovereignly to the right person – Rebekah. The servant then took Rebekah on that long and dangerous journey of 700 kilometres (that probably took a month) all the way back from Mesopotamia to Canaan – a picture of our journey in this world as the bride of Christ.

What do you think the servant talked to Rebekah about, during that long journey? I am sure it was about Isaac. What do you think the Holy Spirit wants to talk to us about on our long journey? About Jesus. Not about doctrine, not about heaven, but about the Lord Jesus. And I am sure Rebekah herself was keen to hear about Isaac too.

I want to know more and more about my wonderful Saviour, from the Holy Spirit on this long journey, until the day I see Him face to face (like Rebekah saw Isaac). And then one day, like Rebekah, I too shall enter the tent of my Lord and be His wife. Do you have that longing?

2017/1/20 11:35Profile

Re: A Marriage Ordained By God by Zac Poonen

"If you are a godly father, you will have a concern for your children’s marriages. If you as a young man are fortunate enough to have a godly father, I would say that you should take his advice very seriously. If such a godly father says “No”, to the one you want to marry, wait. God may be testing you there. Your father’s “No” may only be for a time. After God sees that you are willing to respect your godly father’s advice, He will give you the partner He has chosen."

This passage seems problematic to me. One man's Godly father could be another man's despot. In certain conservative circles the need for control can go way beyond any calling from God. Each saint must decide between himself and God whom he should marry. Godly advice is welcome and should be considered, but a " no," cannot be justified by Scripture when it comes to marriage.

I realize that Zac comes from a culture very different from the west in regard to marriage. For most Indians, say from the business class, a marriage to an untouchable would be unthinkable because of the caste system. In Britain the class system permeates through every aspect of life including Christendom, I can only imagine that it is way worse in India where the caste system is even more entrenched in the phyche of the people. There is no class system or caste system in the Body of Christ. If two people are of age, the decision must be theirs, not their parents............bro Frank

2017/1/20 20:50
Theophila

Re:

Hmmmm.
All I can say is that I have never met anyone who went against the wishes of their parents in marriage and it turned out well for them in the long run.

One of the last physical duties a parent does for a child is to give them away in marriage. There's a reason for the Lord commanding, 'Honor your father and your mother, that it may be well with you'...and the Lord Jesus, by the mouth of brother Paul repeated it in the New Testament. I simply can't see how going against one's parents' wishes in a marriage partner is honoring to them.

Allow me to share a brother's testimony. He lives in this nation.

Both he and his lovely wife are of Indian heritage but from different castes. This is how the Lord worked the whole thing out.

His wife is a Brahmin, the highest caste. He is not only from the caste beneath but also younger! When he told his Christian parents about his choice of a partner, fearing the drama that would ensue from such a venture, they adamantly refused. He didn't argue with them, he simply took the matter to God and waited. His parents prayed and later called him to say he could go ahead with her. Who knows how the Lord changed their minds?

The sister on the other hand had staunch Hinduist parents. They travel to India to their Hindu temple and inquire from the pagan priest about their daughter. The priest said, 'By the time you return home, your daughter will tell you she has found a man she wants to marry. He is not from your caste and practices another religion.

When they express horror, he cautions them, 'They cannot be separated by any living being for the thing is decided from another realm. The best you can do is to simply agree with her decision and be happy!'

The rest is history. Their home is the sort of place you visit and never want to leave because of the sweet atmosphere of peace there. Her Hinduist parents are honored and welcomed there. It's amazing.

The moral of the testimony is that when a person sincerely seeks to honor the Lord in all things, He will work it out, even if He needs to speak through a pagan priest halfway across the world.

2017/1/21 3:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
All I can say is that I have never met anyone who went against the wishes of their parents in marriage and it turned out well for them in the long run.

One of the last physical duties a parent does for a child is to give them away in marriage. There's a reason for the Lord commanding, 'Honor your father and your mother, that it may be well with you'...and the Lord Jesus, by the mouth of brother Paul repeated it in the New Testament. I simply can't see how going against one's parents' wishes in a marriage partner is honoring to them.

Of course Indian culture is different then western but if we look back 40-50 years only the respect for parents, especially christian parents was very high and though they were not arranged marriages without even seeing the other to be spouse, yet the parents in most cases were heavily involved.

Part of the high rate of divorce amongst young christians is the lack of godly parents counsel in the too be marriage.

2017/1/21 8:21Profile
Sree

Re:

Appolos, I kind of agree and disagree with you.

First the point made by Zac Poonen is very clear to me. If you have a Godly parent then listen to their advice. If they say 'NO' to your partner of choice, even after you found it is God's will, still be patient. If it is truly God's will then what God is about to unite, no man can separate. Even a Godly father. God will make him say YES.

Discernment develops with age, though it is a work of Spirit. The longer a person walks with God's spirit, the greater will be his discernment. Hebrews 5:14- But solid food is for the mature, who because of PRACTICE have their senses trained to DISCERN good and evil.

A spiritually mature has his senses of discernment trained by practice. He can sense better. So it is always good to heed to the decision of Godly parents.

But Godly parents also make mistakes. You are exactly right about caste system. In India even in Godly churches, elders look for same caste and language to get their children married. I have seen Godly people who have said NO to their children's desire based on caste and language. Caste system is so deeply rooted in India even among Christians who proclaim some of the greatest truths.

I have come from Hinduism, so I can clearly see the evil of Caste system and how even God fearing people are blinded by this system. I do not even know the caste of my wife with whom I have been living for 6 years. Surely she should be lower caste than mine, because I come from the highest possible caste according to Hindu belief.

My father-in-law is also an elder in Zac's Church. I have very high respect for him (there are also few like him whom I respect). He had only 2 conditions for his daughter's wedding. 1- The Boy should be born again, 2- My daughter should find that he is God's will. He made me speak to other elders to discern whether I am truly born again, once he had that confidence, he decided to get us married. He had no concerns about caste or opposition from my parents who belong to higher caste. If he found that I was not born again, he won't have agreed to my marriage.

Going by Indian tradition of caste system, there are multiple reasons for my father-in-law to reject me, but he cared only about God's will not about Man's. Sadly I have seen very very few Godly men like that. When it comes to their own children's marriage, they will apply caste and all traditions!

I am not judging anyone here, the light that I have in the area of Caste system, many do not have. It is not a subject that will make me not fellowship with another believer. I have never looked down on any believer just because they do not have light in the area of caste system.

2017/1/21 8:37Profile

Re:

How far do we take the honoring of parents under the New Covenant? How far do we consider their wishes in the case of marriage? I speak of marriage between Spirit-filled, Christ Centered believers. And I should specify between a man and a woman.

I grew up in the south. I grew up in Louisiana which to this day is still racially bigoted. I speak of relations between white and black. There have been occasions where Christians of adult age have fallen in love. These are believers from different races. One would be white and the other would be black. But because of the racial bigotry the parents have objected against these marriages and have insisted that they marry in their own race. Oftentimes the marriage has resulted in turmoil and sometimes divorce. Oftentimes those who are counselled to marry in their own race have been unhappy. That is the so-called Godly counsel has been given to marry in one's oen race.

So I ask the question if God has truly lead two people together to marry. And in the context of my post one is white and the other is black. And these two people are Spirit filled and love the Lord. But then the parents object and say you must honor me and not marry this person of a different race. I ask again. How far do we take the honoring of parents under the New Covenant regarding marriage?

As in the case in which I write about. Often time the wishes and counsel of the parents may be based on their own racial bigotry and prejudice. When for sure God is seeking to do a new thing by bringing both a white person and a black person together in holy matrimony. That one's identity in Christ is not recognized by the color of their skin but by the content of Jesus in your heart. But then I may be at the minority view in this forum.

Bro Blaine

2017/1/21 8:58
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brethren,

I believe one way to look at this is how we look at ourselves in relation to the Church and Jesus Christ. To say no to my desires and follow the will of God is not bondage but actual liberty! To submit to a elder of the Church in a decision or warning is freedom! To obey godly parents in the immediate is the right thing to do and will bring the blessing of God.

To seek our own desires and wishes and force them brings bondage, and hurt in our lives. We end us getting what we want but not with the way and blessing of God.

Marriage itself is a spiritual reality and symbol of Christ and the Church and our relationship to God. It would never be worth hurting godly parents, and forcing your way into a relationship that in the end would not be good for you even during that timing in life.

Perhaps in some situations if a youth died to self, obeyed his parents then in the end it could have been a timing issue and he would have still married the woman he desired just later on. There are biblical examples of that also.

Taking by force by our own wills, is of the spirit of this age, to get what we want right away. It shows the world is still in us and controlling our actions. Gods choice is always with patience, godly counsel, and blessing of godly men.

2017/1/21 9:18Profile

Re:

Brethren,

I believe one way to look at this is how we look at ourselves in relation to the Body of Christ. If we desire to control by our flesh and turn it into a virtue, then we shall desire to dictate to others how they then should live.

Marriage itself is a spiritual reality and symbolizes our obedience to God and not to man. Are we willing to follow the leading of God through his Holy Spirit or shall we merely be followers of men?

Sree writes...........

"But Godly parents also make mistakes. You are exactly right about caste system. In India even in Godly churches, elders look for same caste and language to get their children married. I have seen Godly people who have said NO to their children's desire based on caste and language. Caste system is so deeply rooted in India even among Christians who proclaim some of the greatest truths."

This has been my experience among many Indians, they are awash in their culture and the triumph of the world over the church is to see the world and its cultures rule in the church. The Body of Christ transcends the cultures of the world and is a mighty witness to the world.

This has also been my experience having been born and raised in Britain. Otheriwise Godly parents being horrified if their daughter announces a desire to marry one from a different economic background. Just so you know Sree, the class system in Britain is equally as entrenched as it is India.

This has also been my experience living in America. Otherwise Godly parents being distraught about their "child," desiring to marry one from another race.

This has also been my experience with "conservative Christian groups," in America who have a suffocating desire to control every aspect of their adult children's life because they have lived a life of control. It has nothing to do with God and everything to do with an unholy desire to control. The end results is often groups like the church of Wells who come out of a " conservative," background and who were celebrated for a long time and promoted by those of a " conservative," nature until that very controlling spirit turned on them.

Gen 2:24  Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 

One of the most difficult aspects of raising children is the aspect of letting go. If you have no children or young children then you really cannot comment at this point :) You have to actually experience it to understand what you are talking about. Letting go and giving your adult children into the hand of God is an act of spiritual maturity. The spiritually weak and immature will desperately try and hang onto control and it really, in many cases, simply comes down to fear and a lack of faith in God.

So, to those who have adult children who are born again and Spirit filled. Indeed give advice and share your opinion but do not try and over-rule and control the situation. It will not work out well for you, in almost all cases you will drive your "child," away and then at some later point will have to repent and ask your son or daughter's forgiveness along with God of course.

As I say, if you do not have adult children, this will be all theory to you. Do not worry, life will surely teach you valuable lessons as you go along and mature in the Lord..............bro Frank

2017/1/21 10:47

Re:

Mark 10:9

What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.

Under the New Covenant we are baptized in the Holy Spirit. Ultimately he gives council. We are under the covering of Christ. He is the one who leads.

If God has truly brought two people together. Understanding they are believers in the Lord Jesus and a man and woman. Is it possible that those who counseled against such marriage are trying to separate what God has joined together, if so then such counsel is going against the Holy Spirit. Such counsel is going against God himself.

My thiughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/1/21 17:48
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

It just seems to me that historically all Christian believers where possible sought to honour their parents and have them involved in the process of finding a wife. This is the examples we also find the Scriptures.

For me it was an honour to have godly elders of a local church involved in prayer and counsel for our marriage and this helped tremendously. If there were major concerns from the elders that would have been a big red light to me, as well as if parents were against the union (which in my case they were not).

Perhaps there are unique situations where parents are unsaved and give wrong counsel, but in the case of godly marriages with christian parents I believe there should be honouring of them in the process of a marriage partner.

the difference is perhaps between dating and courtship.

this article is a great read on this difference:

--

What’s the difference between dating and courtship?
The concept of dating is about as old as the automobile. Nowadays we are so used to it that we might not be able to imagine any other approach to relationships. But back before the car, the reason why a man would invest time with a woman was to see if she was a potential marriage partner. The reason he expressed romantic interest was to woo her toward that lifelong commitment. This process usually took place within the context of family activities.

When the car was invented, this courting could be divorced from spending time with family because the couple could leave the family behind. Soon, the whole point of spending time together shifted from discernment of marriage to wooing for the sake of wooing. Many people would begin a relationship simply because they found the other to be cute and fun.

This put a new spin on the focus of relationships, and short-term relationships became commonplace. With this mentality, a person who dates successfully breaks up with everyone in his life except for one person (and this is supposed to be good preparation for a successful marriage). Of course, the majority of relationships do not end in marriage, but some become so intimate and intense that the couple might as well be married. If a breakup occurs, then they experience a sort of emotional divorce. It is not uncommon that by the time a person is married, he feels like he has already been through five divorces.

You may ask, “Well, what is the alternative? Am I supposed to shelter myself, put walls around my heart, and forget having a social life?” Not at all. The alternative is to rethink the way we approach relationships. Whether we admit it or not, the world has molded our views of preparing for marriage. We need to seriously ask ourselves: “What is the godly approach to relationships?” What would God have us do? Perhaps his ways are a 180-degree change from everything you’ve experienced. Perhaps you are burned out from the dating scene anyway, and could use a breath of fresh air.

Either way, I suggest a return to the principles of courtship. When I first heard of the resurgence of Christian courtship, I was skeptical. I remember thinking: “Oh, courtship. So if I want to spend time with a girl, I have to arrange for our families to go to a pumpkin patch together, followed by an exciting evening of board games, and then go home by seven. Woo hoo–real practical for a guy just out of college, living in Southern California.” I had heard a great deal about courtship, but when I began reading books on the subject I ended up liking the idea more than I hoped I would. There was a great deal of wisdom that I had never tapped into.

Many books propose different forms of biblical dating, but the fact is that no one ever dated in the Bible. In some passages the parents arranged the marriage, and in other places we read of men going to foreign countries to capture their wives. The idea of traveling overseas and capturing a wife may be appealing to some, but the Bible does provide guidelines that are more practical. Just because the concept of dating was unknown to those before the twentieth century, that doesn’t mean that Scripture cannot help us understand the mind of God on the matter.

In Psalm 78:8 we read of a generation that had no firm purpose and their hearts were not fixed steadfastly on God. If that is a good description of our relationships, they need some reworking. We should be intent on finding out if it is the Lord’s will for us to be with a certain person, and until we are ready to move in the direction of marriage, what is the point of committing to another?

Some may retort that this is all too serious, but should we be giving our hearts away to people who are in no position to make a real commitment? I am not proposing that you build an impenetrable wall around your heart, but that you guard it with prudence. We can wrestle over the terms “courtship” and “dating,” but the essential thing is to glorify God and act wisely. The time spent prior to marriage must be a school of love where two young people learn the art of forgetting self for the good of the other.

While there is nothing wrong with becoming friends and spending time with members of the opposite sex, committed relationships should be entered into for the sake of discerning marriage. When we do enter into relationships, we should allow wisdom to chaperone romance. This involves having the humility to become accountable to others. Find a member of the same sex that you look up to, and go to him or her for guidance in your relationships. As Proverbs says, “Without counsel plans go wrong, but with many advisers they succeed” (Prov. 15:22).

There is also a great deal of wisdom in spending time together with the other person’s family. Not only does it honor the parents, it also helps you get to know the family that you may one day join. Finally–and this may be a real eye-opener: How this person treats his or her family will likely be how he or she treats you when the feelings taper off. For example, if you are a young woman dating a guy who is disrespectful toward his mother and sisters, but is a perfect gentleman around you, guess what you have to look forward to if you settle down with him.

If we spend every waking hour tucked away in private gazing into our sweetheart’s eyes, we will never find out who they are. The type of time a guy and girl spend together is essential if they wish to ground their relationship in reality. Spending time in service, with family, and even playing sports will help reveal who the person really is.

These are some of the principles of courtship: ask God’s blessing at the beginning of a relationship; enter it with direction, toward discerning marriage; involve the families; be accountable to others; pace yourselves as you spend time together; and always listen for the Lord’s guidance.

from: http://chastityproject.com/qa/whats-the-difference-between-dating-and-courtship/

2017/1/21 22:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy