SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Deeper Look Into Repentance - Don Atkin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

A Deeper Look Into Repentance - Don Atkin

A DEEPER LOOK INTO REPENTANCE

Like so many other things in life, it is quite normal, natural, to come up with a universally-accepted definition of repentance. When we hear the word, or a when the question is posed, the response/answer is on the tip of our tongues.

“Repentance is a change of mind, a change of direction.”

“Rote learning is a memorization technique based on repetition. The idea is that one will be able to quickly recall the meaning of the material the more one repeats it. Some of the alternatives to rote learning include meaningful learning, associative learning, and active learning.” – Wikipedia

The human limitations of intellect, no matter how developed and trained, disqualify any of the above from being adequate in our consideration of “repentance.” We are not considering this merely in the light of mind and/or emotion.

“Repentance” is an ongoing lifestyle, a way of life maintained by a surrendered will, the daily moment-by-moment identification with Christ in crucifixion: Are you ignorant of the fact that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were buried therefore with Him by the baptism into death, so that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious [power] of the Father, so we too might [habitually] live and behave in newness of life.

Forgiveness takes care of sins. Only death takes care of the sin nature. It is the living out of the resurrected Christ in us by the Spirit that continually presents us with the living hope of glory. Paul explained, I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Let’s go deeper.

By virtue of being created in God’s image and likeness, we are sovereign persons. Perhaps this is why we so strongly react to someone crossing our wills. Our free moral agency must be dealt the death blow by our surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord of all. If we retain even one iota of our option, we yet remain sovereign and ultimately lord of our own lives. Jesus is Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all, insofar as we are concerned.

Our self will does not fit through the eye of a needle. Our self will does not fit through the narrow gate, and cannot walk on the straight path that leads to life.
We no longer often hear the word conversion. It’s a good word. Another is transformation.

I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.

Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

Repentance is the total surrender of our sovereign wills to the Christ within. We will consider the anointing which we have received next Tuesday, Lord willing.

2016/8/20 11:13Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: A Deeper Look Into Repentance - Don Atkin

Excellent teaching Mike, thanks for sharing this, I especially agree with repentance as an ongoing lifestyle. I also see repentance as a gift from God that He gives and imparts and as we abide in Him though we may stumble from time to time the gift is always there and available.

True biblical repentance as this teaching defines and supports, is a magnificent blessing from God. A gift once tasted makes it very difficult to reject and not accept.

BD

2016/8/20 13:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy