SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Satan Defeated Today

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is Satan Defeated Today

While trying to dodge the pots and pans being thrown around on the end time threads I saw this question come up. As such I thought I would open up a thread on it. Hopefully this question will have relevance for our walk with Christ. The question...is Satan defeated today.

Here are some verses to open up the discussion. And please let us keep the pots and pans in the kitchen. :-)

Starting with a verses in Revelation 12:7-10

And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging War with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war, and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down. The serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

A question for discussion would be when did this happen? Did it happen or is it yet to hapoen? The following verses should be helpful for discussion.

Hebrews 4:15-16

Therefore since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.

1 John 3:8

The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

Col. 2:15

When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them having triumphed over them through Him.

Romans 16:20

The God of Peace will soon Crush Satan under your feet.

I pray this thread will generate some good discussion and application for our walk with Christ. I ask the SI guidelines be observed. Let us keep the pots and pans in the kitchen. And also let's please keep the church fathers out of this discussion. As well as commentaries and our favorite authors. Let us look to the Holy Spirit and His Word for instruction.

I open up this thread not to provoke controversy or have needless theological discussion. For we are in a spiritual war with the evil one. To know whether or not he is defeated or is fallen, will certainly encourage us in a victorious walk with Christ.

Posted by Brother Blaine.

2016/4/23 9:38

Re: Is Satan Defeated Today

yes.

2016/4/23 9:40
docs

Re: Thanks Blaine

I appreciate the question and the attitude behind it. Especially, "Hopefully this quesation will have relevance for our walk in Christ." I'm busy this morning and likely today but maybe I can find time to throw in a little bit for whatever it may be worth. You ask good questions. I believe Satan has been defated yet we don't see the full extent or rather the full manifestation of this defeat yet. Satan is "already" defeated but we "not yet" see the full manifestation of this defeat.

One verse in particular that I believe can be of help in our walk is I John 5:18 - "We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him and THE EVIL ONE DOES NOT TOUCH HIM."

"We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God craefully watches over and protects him [Christ's divine presence within him preserves him against the evil], and the wicked onne does not lay hold 9get a grip) on him or touch [him]. (I John 5:18 - Amplified Bible).

2016/4/23 9:51Profile

Re: Is Satan Defeated Today

Bear,

that's good brother. And as I said in the other thread to Frank, I agree with what Doc said. His ultimate power was "broken" at Calvary, but the full manifestation isn't "played out" yet. That's done after he is loosed with great fury knowing his time is short, & then once & for all "crushed under our feet" & "thrown into the Lake of Fire." Otherwise, why are warned by the apostle Peter to be sober & alert because he is "a roaring lion roaming around seeking whom he may devour"? It's kinda like how we WERE saved by the lamb who WAS slain from before the foundations of the earth, we ARE BEING saved, & we ultimately WILL BE SAVED at the final resurrection, judgement & end of all things.

Romans 16:20

The God of Peace will soon Crush Satan under your feet.

God bLess,
Jeff

2016/4/23 10:01

Re:

In the OT we do not read records of casting out devils. In the NT they could be cast out because they were defeated.
I believe Satan was defeated and the Kingdom of God came the same time: When Jesus came in the flesh.
Matthew 12:28
28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Zsuzsanna

2016/4/23 10:07
docs

Re: Absolutely Tozsu!

/I believe Satan was defeated and the Kingdom of God came the same time: When Jesus came in the flesh.
Matthew 12:28
28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you./

Absolutely!

2016/4/23 10:11Profile

Re:

So far, Neil has the most concise answer. Jeff, I am saved, I am not being saved. Do you think you have confused Sanctification with justification? Either a man is justified or he is not, you cant be kinda saved. Either we have power over Satan or we do not. Can you see how you have allowed your pre-conceived notions to influence your thinking on what should have been a fairly simple answer that Neil scored 10 out of ten on. This is exactly what almost all theology does, it complicates simple concepts. My prof in College wrote a 327 page paper on Matt 24. He offered it to his students. I declined. My thinking was, if God tells me great truths in one chapter and has given me the Holy Spirit to lead me into all truth, why would I read over 100 chapters from a man on the same subject. He was a premillennialist.

And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
(Luk 10:18-19)

Was Jesus lying to his Disciples Jeff or have you misunderstood what it means to be careful of our enemy? ......bro Frank

2016/4/23 10:34

Re:

Bro David writes...........

"28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you./ Absolutely!

Amen brother, the Kingdom of God has already came unto us. Now, that is something worth pondering on, no matter what side of any theological debate anyone stands on. But this reality does have ramifications for the theories of men. Lets hope no one tries to " spiritulize." away the reality of what you have just confirmed............bro Frank

2016/4/23 10:37
docs

Re: Credit goes to Tozsu

She wrote,

28 "But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you."

But there's no problem here. I was just responding to her statement appolus yet I understood what you meant.

2016/4/23 10:41Profile

Re:

Frank,
God Bless you friend. I don't disagree with you, but it feels like you're attempting to "pin me" down in my words. I understand salvation brother. I am simply drawing on Biblical concepts of justification, sanctification & glorification to show a parallel analogy how the Devil was defeated, is being defeated & will at the end be finally cast into the lake of fire forever (the final once and for all defeat). I don't like answering these type questions cause you want a one word answer & then I feel a "gotcha" coming. If I go on (the Bible is a big book brother where compare scripture with scripture for the full sum of God's Words to rightly divide the Word of truth), not just a short collection of one liners). I don't like it when people pull out their microscope to microanalyze ones words & "trap them" to make "their point". I'm not accusing you or saying that's your intent, just telling you that's how it felt. I don't know everything brother, but Indo know & study the scriptures & I'm drawing from them altogether, not just preconceived notions, one sided arguments, etc. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong by degrees in an area, but I understand salvation friend. If the enemy roars around like a lion, but is chained up in the abyss, there's a deeper truth than your trying to oversimplify it too. And Parts of Revelation are future concerning His final defeat. We can agree to disagree & that's fine.

Saved in Three Tenses
—Have been saved, are being saved, shall be saved

This lesson may seem to be a statement of the obvious. However what is obvious to some is not obvious to others.

—Three Times of Salvation

The Scriptures speak of being saved in three tenses and senses. In one place the scriptures say that we "have been saved" (past). In another place they say that we "are being saved" (present). In yet another place they say that we "shall be saved" (future). All these statements are true. An understanding of how we are saved in three senses and tenses, helps to avoid wrong ideas about salvation, whilst helping us gain a true assurance of salvation.

1 We Have Been Saved (2Timothy 1:9)

Our Past Salvation

There is a sense in which God has already saved each and every Christian. In this sense salvation is equated with the forgiveness of sins.

Ananias said to Paul, "Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins" (Acts 22:16). So Paul, as soon as he obeyed, had his sins washed away. He was saved.
Paul said to the Corinthians, "You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified..." (1Corinthians 6:11) They were saved.
Paul says of God our Saviour, "he saved us..." (Titus 3:4-5). That's past tense, isn't it?.
A little earlier there in Titus, Paul says, "The grace of God has appeared bringing salvation to all men" (Titus 2:11)
2 We Are Being Saved (1Corinthians 1:18)

Our Present Salvation

There is a sense in which God is still saving each and every Christian. In this sense salvation is equated with the Christian's growth and perseverance.

Paul spoke to the Corinthians of "those who are being saved" (2Corinthians 2:15). Here we do not have past tense. We have the word "saved" used in a present and ongoing sense.
Paul tells the Philippians, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who is at work in you..." (Philippians 2:12-13). Here we see salvation presented as something being worked for by us in synergy with God. It is not all over and done with.
Note the implication of this question, "How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:1-3).
Another telling statement, "be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure..." (2Peter 1:10)
John says that "the blood of Christ cleanses us..." (1John 1:7). Past sins were forgiven when we became Christians, but further sins since then need to be forgiven too. Forgiveness and salvation continue as we walk in the light.
3 We Shall Be Saved (Romans 5:9-10)

Our Promised Salvation

There is a sense in which salvation is a future event. In this sense salvation is equated with the second coming of Christ.

Jesus said, "these (wicked) shall go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life" (Matthew 25:46). This is a future event.
As we saw at the introduction to this lesson, Paul twice says, "We shall be saved..." (Romans 5:9-10). This is neither past nor present, but future, isn't it?
Paul makes an interesting statement, "Our salvation is now nearer than when we first believed" (Romans 13:11).
The Holy Spirit is given "as a guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession..." (Ephesians 1:14). Here redemption and the eternal inheritance is something in view, something yet future.
Paul speaks of "the hope of salvation" (1Thessalonians 5:8). A hope of salvation implies a future salvation. If our salvation were altogether finished, then we would have no need any more to hold it as our hope.

2016/4/23 10:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy