PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Jesus Teaches About The End of the World

Matthew 24
New King James Version (NKJV)

Jesus Predicts the Destruction of the Temple

24 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”

The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all[a] these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences,[b] and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

The Great Tribulation

15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’[c] spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.

23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.

26 “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.

The Coming of the Son of Man

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

The Parable of the Fig Tree

32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it[d] is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

No One Knows the Day or Hour

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven,[e] but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour[f] your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

The Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant

45 “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? 46 Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. 47 Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. 48 But if that evil servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’[g] 49 and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, 50 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, 51 and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Footnotes:
Matthew 24:6 NU-Text omits all.
Matthew 24:7 NU-Text omits pestilences.
Matthew 24:15 Daniel 11:31; 12:11
Matthew 24:33 Or He
Matthew 24:36 NU-Text adds nor the Son.
Matthew 24:42 NU-Text reads day.
Matthew 24:48 NU-Text omits his coming.

2012/12/20 21:26Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re: Jesus Teaches About The End of the World

Mr. Moderator,
This prophecy carries an expiration date: "this generation" (verse 24). This does not concern the 'end of the world', but the end of the Old Covenant, and Israel's role as God's one chosen nation. Moses prophesies of this event in Deut 31-32 as well. Also, Jesus described the vengeance coming upon Jerusalem in 70 AD in Matthew 23, stating again that the then present generation would live through it. (Matt 23:34-39)

Christ placed His divinity on the line when predicting Jerusalem's fall in 70 AD, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away." Therefore, to continue to use a passage of scripture that speaks of past events, in order to predict future events, is to make Christ out to be a liar. We MUST become more responsible students of the word.

2012/12/21 10:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

My friend,

Your view is Preterism and is a school of thought towards end times beliefs. If we read the Scriptures clearly, slowly and simply we see Jesus Christ is referring to His Second Coming that is literal and proceeds the end of the world.

for those that do not know about Preterism:

--

Preterism is a Christian eschatological view that interprets prophecies of the Bible as events which have already happened. Daniel is interpreted as events that happened in the second century BCE while Revelation is interpreted as events that happened in the first century A.D. Preterism holds that Ancient Israel finds its continuation or fulfillment in the Christian church at the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. The term preterism comes from the Latin praeter, which is listed in Webster's 1913 dictionary as a prefix denoting that something is "past" or "beyond," signifying that either all or a majority of Bible prophecy was fulfilled by AD 70. Adherents of preterism are commonly known as preterists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterism

2012/12/21 10:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

If you read the below Scriptures carefully these were never "fulfilled" even in part during AD 70:

--

And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all[a] these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences,[b] and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

2012/12/21 10:06Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

It has been demonstrated that these events did in fact occur. There was both a great apostasy and a great persecution, which Jesus references in Matthew 23.

2012/12/21 10:16Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I believe it is unwise to dismiss out of hand that the Olivet Discourse was in fact referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

RC Sproul and Hank Hanegraff believe this, as did John Wesley and Jonathan Edwards.

And there are degrees of Preterism-- Full preterists believe that all prophecy has been fulfilled; partial preterists still believe in a future second coming of Christ but believe that much of the book of Revelation and certainly the Olivet Discourse had a past fulfillment.

The modern evangelical church has had dispensational "left behind" theology ingrained into its psyche; this seems to be because many of the popular evangelical teachers have attended seminaries that teach this viewpoint. But really this view has not been around all that long (mid 1800s?)

2012/12/21 11:52Profile

Re:

I was taught that this verse:

Quote:

Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying,
-“Tell us, when will these things be?
-And what will be the sign of Your coming,
-and of the end of the age?
(Matthew 24:3)

talks about three distinct things as bulleted. It was taught that to understand the rest of the chapter you must keep these three ideas in mind.

2012/12/21 12:07
Sree

Re:

So peterists who not believe in second coming of the Lord? If not then how will they explain 1 Thessalonians 4:16?

2012/12/21 12:51Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, all the end time talk reminds me of the foolish virgins who wondered about the future but were not ready today.;let us take no thought of tomorrow,but be about the Fathers business.jimp

2012/12/21 13:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen to that Jimp!!

Sree wrote:

"So peterists [do] not believe in second coming of the Lord? If not then how will they explain 1 Thessalonians 4:16?"

Full preterists do not; partial preterists do.

Believe me, full preterists have an explanation for 1st Thess. 4:16. You can find it if you wish. I certainly believe they are incorrect.

2012/12/21 14:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy