SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Skirts Only?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
mama27

Re:

Thank you for your encouragment Keepstanding and FreeSparrow. Please pray for me this weekend as the issue has come to a head with my young adult daughters. Convictions without humility mean nothing. I need Holy Spirit-given wisdom. Bless you for sharing...

2012/8/17 7:08Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by mama27 on 2012/8/16 17:54:31

You didn't put me on the spot Mary Jane...it's just hard to explain w/o starting debate...I am seeing my adult daughters possibly taking a different position if I read between the lines. Indeed most of the Church seems fine with pants except for the group I mentioned. It must be the heart, and not outward conformity. But I feel very alone...So I wondered if that was the case here as well.

Brother Greg, thank you for your comments. And the video was excellent - I had not seen it...

Dear mama27

thank you for your kindness in your reply to me. I do understand your desire in not wanting to debate this topic.
You mentioned that most of the church seemed fine with women wearing pants except for the group you mentioned, I will admit that most of the churches I have attended have been non denominational churches and this topic was not spoken too. The didn't really teach on modesty either though. But the closer I have walked with the LORD there are things HE has shown me and I saw the need to dress in a modest way as not to draw attention to self and not to cause a brother to stumble. Now I live here in the east and am surrounded by mostly RCC, in fact in the town that I live there are only two other churches that are not RCC and both do follow a more traditional dress code for women, they wear dresses or skirts to church. Coming from the background that I do I find myself feeling awkward and out of place because I am not use to that kind of dress but as you said it is the heart that matters. I know this is my issue and no one has ever said anything to me so I don't want to give that impression just wanted to let you know that I do understand how it can feel being the only one or on the outside :) I will pray for you and your daughters. I know it can be very painful with our children, wanting what is best for them...

God Bless
maryjane

2012/8/17 8:03Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

maryjane wrote: "The(y) didn't really teach on modesty either, though."

It has often come to me how different my whole life would have been if I had been instructed in modesty from infancy. Instead, I was praised for being prideful and for showing off. Never was I taught the need to be kind to others. Others were tools and servants to my desires. What a wasted life I was led to lead. Praise Jesus for continuing to call me as long as it took.

mama27, even should your daughters take a path you do not wish for them, the steps they were instructed in as children will still be in their heart and, Lord willing, He will fill them with a hunger to walk in the old paths.

I wear long dresses now. Of course, if we are clearing brush in the back of the property, I usually wear long pants to avoid being scratched by thorns.

Kind regards,
white stone

2012/8/17 12:03Profile
keepstanding

UK

Re:

Dear mama27

I will be praying for you and your daughter.

2012/8/17 16:19Profile
FreeSparrow

Just passing through

Re:

Yes mama27 I will be praying for you and you daughters as well.

2012/8/17 16:54Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

My wife, my Mom and my sister only wear long very modest dresses and skirts. I waited until I was 36 years old to get married. I wouldn't have married a woman who wore pants. I thank God for women who still have high standards of modesty. They are salt in a world where immodesty is getting worse and worse.

I am in Hispanic ministry and I recently discovered a fairly new Hispanic denomination Movimiento Misionero Mundial (Worldwide Missionary Movement) http://www.usammm.org/ that is already in 60+ countries. They are growing even in the USA rapidly and they are EXTREMELY modest. Here is a video en Peru where they are baptizing hundreds at the same time: http://youtu.be/Flu7gK_x1Ic

You are certainly not alone in your conviction. There are thousands of women all over the world with the same conviction from the same Holy God.

2012/8/17 18:47Profile
mama27

Re:

Thank you to all who have shared....I would have a lot to say on this subject except that I do not want this topic to become heated.

I had not seen the video that Brother Greg recommended, and after watching it, found that this is Part 2 to the same message for any who are interested....."What do Guys Think about Modesty?"....in hopes that it will bless someone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2hLSWb2P0

Thank you so much for the prayers and for the encouragement.....I have asked the Lord countless times, "Lord am I wrong?", because there are just very few who adhere to this standard of modesty. I do not want in any way to come across as self-righteous or judgmental....this is just what God impressed on my heart when my girls were small....

2012/8/17 20:24Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you so much for the prayers and for the encouragement.....I have asked the Lord countless times, "Lord am I wrong?", because there are just very few who adhere to this standard of modesty. I do not want in any way to come across as self-righteous or judgmental....this is just what God impressed on my heart when my girls were small....

I just wanted to say thanks also to those who have taken part in this thread. I am glad that we were able to share with each other and encourage our sister in CHRIST with out the topic being turned into a debate. I will also say that even though I do wear loose fitting pants and do not feel the same conviction as some of the other sisters here do about wearing dresses only I really appreciate your hearts and the fact that you did not try to make me feel as if I were in sin for following my convictions on this topic.I really think dressing modestly is a matter close to the LORDS heart and I know HE has shown me so much as I seek to please HIM over the years. GOD is so great and so awesome. I really think this has been a great thread, thank you mama27 for opening it. I will continue to pray for your family.

God bless
mj

2012/8/17 20:32Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

I want to respect your wish that this thread not become a debate thread Mama27 (don't know what else to call you) but I would encourage you to consider that no matter how much you may couch what you say in tender words if what you say is of God there WILL be some controversy that happens.

All the more so if it collides with a heart that is rebellious toward God.

Don't be afraid of that controversy. Don't try and prevent it. Don't shrink back from that.

Just say what is on your heart to say in so far as it is of God and let the Lord use it in whatever way He wills.

This thread caught my eye (figuratively speaking and no pun intended LOL) as I am absolutely bombarded where I live, every single day, with the skimpiest dressed women you can imagine.

It is mind boggling what is passing for normal dress among young women and even not so young ones in our modern American society. Mind boggling.

Many of the women look like...well...prostitutes. Literally. In how they dress. I kid you not.

Especially on Friday nights when you can see a whole flock of such scantily clad women heading to the fraternity houses for partying and who knows what else.

I live in a University setting.

In California.

They even have an underwear run here! Literally. Where thousands and thousands of students take it all off except for their underwear and go running around campus on the night of the run.

I simply cannot believe the shorts that women wear these days. It's absolutely beyond belief. More often than not they are like underwear than shorts. Only made of denim.

I applaud your desire to be modest.

I wish there were more sisters who had a similar heart.

Carlos

2012/8/21 17:01Profile
Etuna

Re:

Wow, what an interesting topic. Last i heard a teaching on this must've been back in High School (I'm 26 now). Were i live and even at my church, women that waer pants aren't (for lthe lack of a better word--->) frowned upon at all.

Covering up decently, and a little loose fitting clothes are advised for thé ladies but thats as far as it goes.

I can hardly wait for m'y homegroup meeting tommorow to ask thé guys what they would think if we were to all rather wear only skirts.

Thank you for sharing Mama27. I'll liste n to thé audio's. Very interesting.

2012/8/21 19:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy