SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : DID LUTHER USE TAVERN MUSIC ??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: What time does your worship service start? You can thank Luther.

____More , much more, than a Tavern tune. Luther restored congregational WORSHIP to the church._____

Another aspect of Luther's day, was the use of alcohol as a normal, common table food. Beer was prolific, and was stored as a food source, by the fermentation of grains in the brewing process. Thereby, the peasant could sustain his family by storing the brew, and cheaply too. [ high calorie product] [ Grog, a semi-nasty mish-mash of grain and high sugar products was popular too, that just got the job done; Calories.]

Beer could be made with stalks and other grasses, including some barley and malt products. What I'm getting at, is that Taverns were not like we may think of a today in America. They had central places the city met, and served food, including beer, as a staple.

The "Pub" system is very similar throughout Great Britain; it is a city counsel, so to speak, and everyone it seems, imbibes; it is cultural. I've been to Pentecostal conferences there, where at lunch break, everyone hits it to the pub, and downs a pint or two before the next session.

Luther was famous for his hospitality, and he was soundly supported and fared well financially. He , of course, was married to "Katy", the former nun, and they had 6 children, 4 of whom survived into adulthood. They often had as many as 30 guests stay with them, often students tutored by Luther, and always had several kegs of brew on hand, to feed them.

The song, "A mighty Fortress is our God was composed from a folk tune popular in the day, and, it is very catchy. I imagine Luther was humming it for a while, and turned his thoughts to God..."in baritone of course.....and being the genius he was , decided to write it down, and it became the most popular tune in Christendom; not necessarily a bar tune.

Today, we take for granted a worship service that all participate in, and for most it is the only time of the week where they can actually exercise their call to worship Him in spirit.

Did you know that this was it was Martin Luther, who restored congregational worship to the church? This is huge, considering it's impact on the Eternal Bride over 600 years or so.

My grandmother was saved, and born again at 12 years of age, while listening to a hymn being sung in a small one-room building in Alabama circa 1900. Before Luther, there were Choirs only, or "Cantors", who sang prayers, similar to the Muslim of today.[ all Catholic]

Martin Luther was also a musician, who adored music, and believed that the body should actively do so.......bt

"Luther became known in particular for three things: the doctrine of salvation by faith alone, the belief that Scripture should be translated into the people's language, and the birth of congregational singing. He felt that music was of God, not of man. And he was determined to restore congregational singing in the German language to the Church.

So strong were his beliefs about music and worship that he wrote these fiery words: "Next to the word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world. It controls our hearts, minds and spirits. A person who does not regard music as a marvelous creation of God does not deserve to be called a human being; he should be permitted to hear nothing but the braying of asses and the grunting of hogs!"

His passionate beliefs led Luther to write both words and music for several hymns, including "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." Luther's first hymnal was published in 1524.

It contained eight hymns, four written by himself. Later hymnals were also published for congregational use. He urged people to use the hymns at home and encouraged parochial schools to teach them to their students."

Pretty cool, eh? considering that before this man, it was not even conceived that a common man dare worship Him away from the Priesthood or silently listen to a choir. In this, too, Luther SHOOK the world, and the reverberations are yet sweeping over you and me.

http://songsandhymns.org/people/detail/martin-luther

2012/8/15 5:34
brothagary

Re:

lol you have warmly surpised me with your last coment brother tom ,,you certainly are and an open minded spiutual gifted christian , and regarding this last coment ,slow to cast harsh judment

2012/8/15 6:34Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

rock on!

2012/8/15 7:59Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
DID LUTHER USE TAVERN MUSIC ??

Whenever a question is worded in such a way that it demands a yes or no answer, you want to raise some red flags and explore further. I’m not thinking of you, proudpapa, but those who over the years have brought this issue into the forefront. WHO’S been raising the question, and why? Unfortunately it has often been an attempt to justify one’s musical preferences. So, then the question in itself becomes divisive: The no- sayers can justify their opposition to contemporary music, and the yes-sayers can justify their “modern” style of music. And so you have two opposing camps – the very two that have caused terrible splits in the church. Meanwhile few care to learn more about Luther’s aim and heart passion, about the nature of taverns back then, and what Luther actually did do with music. The aim of the question is often to justify one’s interests rather than learn more. And you have disunity instead of unity.

I appreciate Brothertom’s post, because it sheds light on Luther. Now, we also need light shed on the contemporary issue. Why have people battled over musical preferences so much? How can God’s people move towards maturity in the way they worship together? Can Luther help us out on that matter? I believe so!

Diane

2012/8/15 9:35Profile

Re:

And should Christians have church in bars on Sunday mornings? One of the better messages I heard was in an Easter service I attended that was held in a bar on Sunday mornings. Converted bikers. You know of the Hell's Angels type that come to Jesus will often have church and Bible studies in biker bars. obviously the bikers would be out of place in our muddle class churches. For that matter they would probably be prevented from coming into the building. So the bar location would be more comfortable for them to study the word and worship.

My point is whether it is bar music or the bar location itself. That is not what makes it evil. It is what is in the heart of the people who are there. Christ can redeem music or locations and use for his glory. Only because of the people who have Jesus in their heart.

Just my input.

Bearmaster

2012/8/15 10:24
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen Bearmaster!

2012/8/15 11:09Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I know this is so far off topic but I just wanted to share something here. I have not really listened much or often to any kind of hymns, praise, worship, or any kind of music for a really long time, I think it has been at least 13 or 14 years now. I have listened to a song here and there but not like when I first came to know the LORD. I would spend hours just sitting at HIS feet and singing praises to HIM. I would sing of HIS beauty, HIS mercy, HIS grace, HIS love, and just worship and praise HIM as often as HE gave me leading. Then somethings happened in my life, some really difficult and painful things and for a time I withdrew from this part of my walk with the LORD. I stopped listening to music, I stopped spending that time with HIM and I sang to HIM less and less...I know for many here that is probably not such a big deal but for me it has been. It was a part of my time with HIM and I have missed that. Anyway after reading over this thread and praying about music in general, for some reason GOD has chosen in HIS mercy and love to use this topic to lead me into spending time with HIM in song and worship again. This morning I pulled out some of those worship cd that I have had buried in a box and just spent time singing and praising GOD. IT felt like being home again, it really made my morning, to just sit at HIS feet and worship HIM. GOD is so amazing so wonderful that there are times in my heart I just feel an overflow of love for HIM and want to express it to HIM...HE has given me a song to sing to HIM again and it was just really awesome. The pain and sadness that was there before from the past is gone, HE has given me a new song and its just all about HIM.

So thanks for the thread. I don't have an answer to the question though and sorry for going off topic just wanted to share what this has meant to me :)
God bless
mj

2012/8/15 11:51Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i love the way the 4th verse of a mighty fortrace starts... the spirit and the gifts are ours..jimp

2012/8/15 11:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy