SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Look who's first on the list, before the unbelievers, the immoral, the idolaters, the murderers, etc.

Answer: The “cowardly”! Oh my! Now we face the giant with a much more sobering tone. We can say that fear is the antithesis of "faith/believing".

Let’s press on…..

Diane

2012/7/20 12:10Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
STOP trying!

True, Tuc. But for now I’m going to pretend that I did not see your H. Taylor quote (and back up a step). We Protestants are trained to think: “by faith alone” – and it is our instinct to say: not by work or effort. But still we must ask: Stop trying what?

How do we distinguish “not-trying” from passivity, from refusal to enter “The Promised Land”, from refusal to apprehend the gifts and enablements inherent in our salvation – in other words life habits which we may view as “faith” living but which mask the underlying condition of UN-belief.

Here's the question: How do we distinguish fear-driven Christian living from faith-empowered Christian living?

A thought: Was it not the third servant in Jesus’ parable who was guilty of not even trying – by merely burying the money? Conversely, how did the first two servants exhibit faith by investing their “bags of gold” (a good analogy for the life of Hudson Taylor?

Diane

2012/7/20 12:13Profile
Compton

Re:

Hi all,

Underneath many of our complex issues, I think fear and love are an everpresent fundamental tension. And perhaps to clarify, I think we should separate fear from anxiety. Fear can be helpful at times...say to move out of the way of an oncoming car, but anxiety thinks the driver is turning around to make another pass at you.

Anxiety is so native to humanity, that I think it pervades every aspect of our thinking. Of course not all of us admit to knowing fear...indeed some of us may overcompensate so successfully that people think we are impervious to worry. I observed this first hand growing up in the church, where the word anxiety is replaced by its spiritual pseudonym "wisdom".

Now, I think it's important to recognize that while anxiety has a nuerological, chemical, and even physical component, it is ultimately a spiritual issue. To be sure, as we experience life, our hippocampus becomes buffeted and scarred by a number of painful episodic memories, making it harder and harder to not become filled with "wisdom" towards everything and everyone we meet. In loght of this, Jesus' encouragement for us to dare to become as little children is healing. Moving past anxiety, I believe requires a healing that begins spiritually and then reaches even our brain chemistry.

However, because fear and anxiety is so commonplace and ubiquitous, we tend to overlook its influence on our thoughts and actions. As a result, we do not address our fear, but the objects of our fear. We focus on anything and everything that is tormenting us...things that are real, and things that are imagined. Fear and anxiety informs everything from our beliefs towards economics to our taste in comedy, from our convictions in politics, to our interests in theology. I feel confident in making a such a generalized statement simply because of the general lack of love I see even in Christians who know better.

Speaking for myself, I recognize this one issue as a central battle because it interferes with the flow of Gods love within.

Anxiety and fear gives us a mindset of scarcity and pessimism in the best of times, while love possesses abundance and hope even in the worst of times. Fear worries, while love believe all things. This is why I believe the tension between the two fuels our struggles, no matter how complex or rational we think we are. Fear and love are like two rubber bands around our wastes anchored in opposite directions. The more we move towards one, the more the other wants to pull us back.

"At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Blessings brethren,

Mike

2012/7/21 8:06Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I recognize this one issue as a central battle because it interferes with the flow of God’s love within

In other words, fear inhibits our ability to live out the greatest commandment: to love God, others, and ourselves – because fear alienates us from the source of love – God himself. Fear also alienates us from one another– and from ourselves. Fear inhibits truthfulness in our inner being.

For that reason, as conscientious believers we cannot pamper this mighty giant. It is detrimental to deny its operation within us and within those we interact with - and indeed in our society at large. By ignoring its presence, we work against our very calling: to be messengers of God’s hope through faith (trusting faith) in Christ and his gifts. We could label this condition “antichrist” – because fear usurps the role and place of Christ in the human heart. And it leaves the unredeemed - and even ourselves - in bondage to fear and beset by the sinful patterns that arise out of fear. The Light remains hidden under a bushel and others see no reason to trust our God.

This cannot be!

Why not start here:
Quote:
… we do not address our fears, but the objects of our fear.

How are we doing that? What are some objects we commonly feared? WHY do they make us anxious? What's going in within us?

To add to Mary Jane's earlier point: I think we fear losing control because we have bits of the forbidden fruit from the Garden stuck between our teeth.

Diane

2012/7/21 9:55Profile
Compton

Re:

To begin with, I agree with your inclination to include Mary Janes concern over slothfulmess inside this issue. I believe they are related...and in the very least I don't want to ignore anyone as we press forward on this one track.

I also want to disclose that I have a special interest in this topic. Whether it is because of my own past, or because I am responsible for leading people today, understanding fear has been an area of interest to me.

Regarding my earlier comment about focusing on the objects of our fears, rather then our fearfulness, you raised a question for discussion....

Quote:
How are we doing that? What are some objects we commonly feared? WHY do they make us anxious? What's going in within us?

When discussing the objects of our anxieties, a starting point I am interested in, is not real objects like a burning building, but false objects...and how convincing these illusory objects are to our minds. We know most of our anxieties are based on perception rather then reality. Yet both real objects and unreal objects can feel exactly the same in our minds. The building may not be burning but we still swear we smell the smoke! So how do we tell the difference between something that is real and something that is nothing more then the manifestation of some spiritual, emotional, or chemical nature?

The conundrum I am thinking of can be descibed with the analogy of a music band performing on a stage using amplifiers. Let's imagine that half of the members of the band can't make the performance, so the other musicians in the band decide to fill in their sound with a prerecorded sound track. During the concert, half of the instruments are "live" and half the instruments are recorded. Since both the live and recorded music is being projected through the same amplifier and PA system, the audience has no discernible way to tell the audio difference between the live instruments and the recorded ones. Both sources of music are being reproduced through the same speakers with the same fidelity at the same time. In this way, we can describe how our mind is blending real life external inputs, with our own imaginationary internal inputs, constantly and seamlessly. The "audience" in our minds has no sensory way of telling the difference between something that is actual, and something that is "prerecorded."

For a real life example of this pickle, you might remember the movie "Beautiful Mind", which was based on the lifestory of a Nobel prize winnning mathematician who suffered from acute schizophrenia. From his youth into his older years he literally "saw" several people who were figments of his mind, but we're as real to him as everyone else in his life. He would not only see them, but have two way conversations with them that resulted in disastrous situations occasionally. Because his brain projected them using trustworthy sensory experiences, he had no sensory or experiential ability to dismiss them away.

His hopeful breakthrough came not through sensory discernment, but through a simple observation: the imaginary people never aged or changed like real people.

This is exactly how we can tell the difference between real objects and imaginary objects. Real objects come and go, but the ones that haunt and torment us the most never age or change. I have experienced perceived objects that seemed absolutely real to me..but over the years I begin to recognize unchanging telltale patterns. I began to notice that despite variations, these were the same fears I've always had! I doscovered how easily my brain can easily inject these illusory objects into almost any situation.

Now this "emotional intelligence" of learning to separate illusory objects from real objects is itself not really a solution but it does form the basis for moving forward. If my point in this post seems agreeable I would like to share with you how I do manage (somewhat) to move forward practically...or at least experimentally.

Blessings,

MC

2012/7/22 3:57Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
understanding fear has been an area of interest to me

Mike, I believe you are here reflecting the very heart of God. I say this in view of the multitude of scripture verses, stories, and analogies that touch on the human experience of fear – beginning in the Garden of Eden. Even the Messianic announcement itself touches on human fear: “Fear not, for behold I bring you good news!” Those many references are surely placed in scripture because God cares about our anxieties and fears.

In fact, I think this quote deserves a stand-alone post. Perhaps others would like to enrich Mike's comment by quoting scriptures or hymns (there are so many) or writings to portray the fact that FEAR is of significant concern to God – in his love for humanity. That then opens the way for reflection on how the gift of salvation serves as God’s remedy for fear.

(I'll return to touch on MC's other points.)

Diane

2012/7/22 22:14Profile
roadsign

Re:

“But there they are, overwhelmed with dread, where there was nothing to dread.” Ps. 53:5

Quote:
Yet both real objects and unreal objects can feel exactly the same in our minds.

Becoming aware of this distinction is key. Most of what we fear is imagined; it is constructed from a fragment of reality. Yet our minds perceive it as totally real. Fear, then, is deficient in truth. And that has significant implications spiritually. God does not redeem what is untrue, non-existent. There can be no forgiveness and no miracle for a mirage.

After pondering over your real-vs-recorded music imagery it occurred to me that the object I fear most is myself. I have a smoldering anxiety that is founded on real episodes in the past. I know I have a besetting propensity to mess up. I can be disrespectful, thoughtless towards others, overly accommodating and passive, or overly blunt and forward. And I can deny my Lord a thousand ways over. Life, unfortunately, is an unrehearsed script. Only afterwards do I remember the right “lines”. But that does not give me any assurance that I will get it “right” the next time. Unfortunately in real life there is never a chance to rewind and retake.

My perceived “reality” about myself is that I am untrustworthy; and that drives my anxiety.
Quote:
the imaginary people never aged or changed like real people

Now let me try these words on for size: My imagined self has not changed since childhood. Then it is surely God himself who has been using others in my life to validate what is real about myself - something that I am reluctant to accept because it clashes with my “preset” image in my mind. So then….. in reality, I am indeed changing by the grace of God and being used by him. The challenge for me, (and I know this theologically) is to deepen my trust in God and his work in and through me – that this may become “emotional intelligence” (as you put it).
Quote:
I would like to share with you how I do manage (somewhat) to move forward practically...or at least experimentally.

Do go for it!

Diane

2012/7/22 23:48Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Only afterwards do I remember the right “lines”.

A favorite song of mine is The Crooked Road written by Darrell Scott.

"I walk a crooked road to get where I am going
To get where I am going I must walk a crooked road
And only when I’m looking back I see the straight and narrow
I see the straight and narrow when I walk a crooked road"

"I love with all my heart, there is no way of stopping,
I have no way of stopping I just love with all my heart.
Through the broken and the beautiful, the bad news and the good news,
The bad new and the good news is I love with all my heart."

There is more grace and wisdom in these lyrics then many Christian songs out there today. I guess that because Christians are supposed to have all the answers before they take the test...and in that way, Christianity as a "religion" has honestly added to my anxiety.

I relate very well to you self diagnosis about feeling "untrust worthy." But isn't this closer to the imperfect person we really are...the actual person God has redeemed...not the one we wish was there inside us.

Quote:
God does not redeem what is untrue, non existent.

This is quite an excellent thought to mediate on.

Because of the hour tonight I'll pause before sharing how I've personally moved forward through my own anxiety. For now, I will offer the following teaser:) My solution doesnt free me from feeling fear and anxiety...in fact it may at times make it worse! However, the practical solution I have arrived at, (through a scriptural perspective I believe) has enabled me to navigate through my fears and anxieties. So while it may not lessen their feeling inside, I believe I have learned some simple ways to lessen their control over my decision making.

See everyone soon,

MC

2012/7/24 2:03Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I see the straight and narrow when I walk a crooked road"

On this note, I have made a fascinating discovery through recent sharing times with certain believers - some whom I have known for years and some I have never met. In our visits they shared with me their “crooked” journey– their life of trials and pain, and their own struggle in it. As they talked, I perceived a radiating, beautiful calmness – the evidence of deep resting faith in the Lord which had developed through their years of trials. I was deeply encouraged and comforted by them. But when I pointed out my observation about their faith, they were all reluctant to accept it. They were seeing the crooked road and sensing their anxieties.

On the other hand, I have also chatted with countless believers who emanated an uptight aura as they shared their troubles. They made me feel uptight, and sometimes I would leave their presence all weighed down with anxiety. I would then have to work hard to distinguish these “recorded” sounds of anxiety which I absorbed from those people – and then reject it, lest I be defiled by it. Their stuff was not my stuff! (I have a tendency to absorb anxiety “loads” that are not my own) Of course, these Christians would not likely have acknowledged their fearfulness/faithlessness if it was pointed out to them. They were simply too obsessed about the externals – the OBJECTS of fear (ex spouse, children, job, boss, bank account, government, etc) Instead of assuming their own “load” and taking responsibility for it, they had a habit of dumping it on to others. I’ve had that habit myself, so I can't be critical. No one does this deliberately.

[It would be worth considering on how much of our societal anxieties are “recorded” sounds – produced by the media rather than by real experience.]

Quote:
My solution doesnt free me from feeling fear and anxiety...in fact it may at times make it worse! ….. So while it may not lessen their feeling inside, I believe I have learned some simple ways to lessen their control over my decision making.

I look forward to reading this!

Presently I am studying First Thessalonians. It is full of references which address the struggle to conquer fear with faith. Here we see a group of Christians who had learned the secret. Much can be drawn from this epistle.

….something for later….

Diane

2012/7/24 7:16Profile
roadsign

Re: THE GIANT IN THE LAND

Now I address FEAR from a societal perspective - as the giant in the land. I draw from lyrics in popular Broadway songs – such as these words: “WE’LL SLAY THE GIANT”?

These words are from the song, “Seize the Day” in the musical, “Newsies” which is based on the New York City newsboy strike of 1899. Young newspaper sellers are exploited beyond reason by their bosses, and so they set out to enact change and are meet by the ruthlessness of big business. The lyrics express their resolve to slay the giant – as they see it:

“Open the gates and seize the day,.
Don’t be afraid and don’t delay….
friends of the friendless seize the day
Raise up a torch and light the way ….
WE’LL SLAY THE GIANT,
neighbor to neighbor, father to son.
one for all and all for one.”

I discovered this song this week through my involvement in Music Camp. I asked the children learning the song, “What is the giant?” They didn’t know the storyline, so they had no context to suggest that the OBJECT of fear was the ruthless giant of powerful big business. However, their other songs helped them see that FEAR indeed underlies the many expressions in their songs – fear of being abandoned, fear of life becoming meaningless, fear living in a world that can trample over you and swallow you up:

In “Annie”, orphans sing:

It's the hard-knock life for us!
No one's there when your dreams at night get creepy!
No one cares if you grow...of if you shrink!
No one dries when your eyes get wet an' weepy!
No one cares for you a smidge
When you're in [an orphanage]! (We substituted the words: “on the edge”)

Then there are these words from “Seussical”:

I'm alone in the universe
So alone in the universe

No one notices anything
Not one person is listening
They don’t have any way of knowing

….. And one day soon I know there will be
One small voice in the universe
One TRUE friend in the universe
Who believes in me …… Please believe in me”

When the children sang these songs, they used cell phones as props. Through dance and actions they conveyed a sense that, while they might have hundreds of Facebook “friends” they may not have even one true friend – one person who would be there for them when they wanted to talk. Was there one person who would come and dry their tears, comfort them? Was there anyone who truly cared?

Then the kids learned “Kumbayah” – a contrasting song. I selected this one myself for its value in teaching musicianship. Yet it worked well thematically. I noted how it points to One who does indeed listen, one true friend, who does indeed care, who hears your crying… praying…. singing.

So you see: Even in secularized contexts, it is not difficult to label FEAR as the mighty giant in the land. Symptoms are everywhere. Somebody must have the courage to acknowledge its expressions. Broadway may be doing that better than we who are Christians. You see, only in the context of fear can a song like Kumbaya (O Lord, Come by me) stand out as surprisingly refreshing. It is a simple song that expresses trust and hope in God.

While working on Kumbaya my colleague (who herself does not believe in God) asked the children: “Are you happy about what will come of this?” In other words, can you sing this song with the hope that it expresses? If you can, you will have INTENTION and you will convince your audience.

That is all the more true for us who have real faith in God! We are not merely conveying a character of another person's hope. To the extent that our trust and hope is real we will convey INTENTION in our lives - not merely when in the spotlight - but in the dark corners too. It is an intention that flows from a vibrant trust in our Lord. And the world will see it.

Diane

2012/7/28 10:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy