Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Jesus is the Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Jesus is the Sabbath

Jesus is the Sabbath; He is our rest.

The Sabbath Commandment was a shadow and fore-type of that which was to come.

Jesus is the Sabbath - If we are in Jesus we are in the Sabbath (keeping it). Six days shall you labor, but on the seventh you shall rest and not do any work in it. We who are in Jesus (in the Sabbath) have ceased from our works, that is to say our unrepented life away from God, and away from disobedience and sin. ...we have truly repented, turned to God, and entered into our rest (freedom from sin), who is Jesus.

In Jesus He took away our sins and nailed them to the cross, so that God does not see our sins anymore. And where there is no sin, the righteousness that the Law of God requires is fulfilled. Thus it is written that Jesus came not to destroy the Law but to fulfill it.

Jesus is the Sabbath!

Jesus is our Rest! (that is to say: freedom from our works of sin and death)

I stand not on my own righteousness or good works, but on the righteousness, which comes by faith in the finished work of Christ. In Christ I have no sin because He took my sins away and nailed them to the cross, and where there is no sin, the righteousness that the law of God requires is fulfilled...thus is explained the righteousness by faith and Christ fulfilling the law.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest... Hebrews 4:1-3

We who have believed do enter into that rest (freedom from sin and its consequence) who is Jesus, who is our rest (our Sabbath).

The Sabbath was a shadow and fore-type of what/who was to come who is Jesus. To those, who through legalistic prose, intend to bring men into bondage, saying we must observe Holy Days and observe abstinence of certain types of meats which the Lord created to be received with thanksgiving, who say a woman must never cut her hair and wear and to always wear a hat, of meats and drinks...to those of you who would put a stumbling block in your brothers way saying we must keep the Law of Moses to be saved.

Hear me:

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike.

Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.

For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.

But why do you judge your brother?

Or why do you show contempt for your brother?

For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written:

“ As I live, says the LORD,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
Romans 14:4-13

Now heed the words of the Apostles:

Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”—to whom we gave no such commandment— it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell. Acts 15:24-29

Nothing mentioned by them about observing Holy Days/Sabbaths...because they knew and understood that JESUS IS THE SABBATH...and we are in Him and He in us.

The Sabbath Commandment was a shadow and a fore-type of that which was to come.

2011/2/2 0:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Jesus is the Sabbath

Quote:

The Sabbath Commandment was a shadow and fore-type of that which was to come.

Amen! Praise God. As new covenant Christians everyday is a sabbath and is holy to the Lord. We are not called to tithe 10% but 100%! everything we own is the Lord's. Jesus is our rest and sabbath! What a blessing to be justified by Christ so that we have peace through Him. (Romans 5:1).

2011/2/2 0:35Profile
HeartSong

Re:

My LORD has shown me that HE would have me to keep the Sabbath. I have become quite weary of others trying to convince me NOT to obey HIM. From the voracity that is being put forth to convince me otherwise, I have come to the conclusion that it is even a bigger deal than I originally thought.

It is one of the ten commandments. We are to keep all of them 100% of the time - which is only possible in HIM. Jesus Christ did not come to do away with the law - rather HE came to fulfill it. His coming does not give me license to steal or to kill, rather it is by HIS blood that I am able NOT to steal or kill. Would it not also be that it is by HIS blood that I am able to keep HIS Sabbath holy? Why on heaven or earth would I not want to?

2011/2/2 1:43Profile
restinhim

Re:

HeartSong, if the Lord is telling you to keep the Sabbath then you probably better do that. What exactly does that mean to you, to "keep the Sabbath"? Just curious, I am not looking for an argument.

2011/2/2 2:01Profile
HeartSong

Re:

The day is set apart for the LORD. All of my wants and wishes and desires are set aside. Mostly it is resting, but sometimes HE has me out doing.

Sometimes I fall, but when my eyes are upon HIM, I do not.

2011/2/2 2:19Profile
restinhim

Re:

Hi Heartsong,

I am glad that we can get away from the theology of the subject. If you don't mind, what does it look like practically, that the "day is set apart for the Lord"?

And are there guidelines in Scripture you follow regarding what you do on that day, or is it basically just resting your body and not working at a secular job.

I am truly interested in where the modern Sabbath Keepers get their guidelines. Specifically, from Scripture.

Don't worry, I am not going to rebut anything, just want to know what you do or don't do on the Sabbath and what constitutes "breaking" the Sabbath. All I have ever heard is the theology part of it, why or why not. I think we all understand each other's point of view on that.

You say, "sometimes I fall". What does that mean in regard to the Sabbath.

Thanks in advance for explaining these things to me.

2011/2/2 9:14Profile
HeartSong

Re:

One thing I often do on the Sabbath is to walk the property. I observe and rejoice in the new life that the LORD is bringing forth. I also delight in the hidden things that HE reveals to me.

On one Sabbath, awhile back, as I neared the garden I noticed plump green beans hanging from the vine, just waiting to be picked. Well, I set my heart upon having these beans along with my evening meal. While I was pretty sure that the LORD would not have me to be harvesting these beans on my Sabbath - knowing that HE could just as easily have shown them to me the day before - I started to logic my way into getting them. I figured that if I listened to a sermon on my iPod, and sat upon a bucket while picking, that it could be considered as "resting" and being "focused" upon the LORD while still attaining that which my heart desired. So I went and got a bucket, asked the LORD which sermon He would have me to hear, and sat down to start picking. It was less than five minutes into the sermon when Leonard Ravenhill started talking about keeping the Sabbath - and I knew that I had failed.

2011/2/2 13:13Profile
restinhim

Re:

That's very interesting.

I appreciate that you shared a part of your Shabbat with us.

Thanks.

2011/2/2 14:20Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

I don't think it is incomparable to see our Sabbath rest as being in Jesus and still keeping a day reserved for worship as long as we do not elevate the keeping of the law above the condition of our hearts towards God. There has to be no division here.

When I came to the understanding that our resting in Jesus is our NC Sabbath, I read Isaiah 58:13,14 over and over again. It drove me to tears to see how every word of it applied to my resting in/union with Jesus. All the time - every day and hour, and how I had been "breaking the Sabbath" in that light. Also Jeremiah 17:21 tells people not to carry a load on the Sabbath. Can you see the parallel to 1Pe 5:7? If we carry a "load"(burden,worry)anytime, we break the Sabbath law, so to say. Instead we are to rest in Him. What an enourmous, beautiful and scary priviledge and responsibility!

2011/2/2 21:17Profile
libertad

Re:

There definitely are spiritual analogies. I like that one about the load, SolaVeritas. We rest in Him by trusting him with our very soul. Come to me all ye that

1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

2011/2/2 21:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy