SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : spiritual senses

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
formidable

Perth, Australia

spiritual senses

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on spiritual senses?
the bible says we are flesh & spirit?
just as our natural body has senses so does our spirtual body what peoples thoughts or do people here walk in these things?

1 cor2-10But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 13These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

1cor3-1And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3for you are still carnal.

1cor15-40There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

1cor15-44-49
There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

There are spiritual senses as well as those that are natural. There is a spiritual eye, a spiritual appetite, a spiritual taste

2004/11/12 6:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: spiritual senses

Here is a map of the three fold nature of man as drawn by Clarence Larkin, it shows spiritual "sense faculties" as being, faith, hope, reverance, prayer and worship.

It would be interesting to hear comments on this map, I'm not sure it fits into my understanding completely, for example, I have always thought the conscience was a part of man's spirit, or at least the gateway to his spirit. Perhaps it is my understanding that needs adjustment?

In Christ,

Ron

[img align=left]http:\\frontpage.inficad.com\~ronh\images\3foldman.jpg[/img]

2004/11/12 9:47Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Scot and Ron and others--

Ron wrote:
“I have always thought the conscience was a part of man's spirit, or at least the gateway to his spirit.”

Ron,
At least you’re in good company. :-)

See Watchman Nee in Vol I of The Spiritual Man:
http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/nee/sprtmnv1/1968c2p1.htm

“The spirit is not synonymous with our soul nor is it the same as the Holy Spirit. We worship God in this spirit.

“According to the teaching of the Bible and the experience of believers, the human spirit can be said to comprise three parts; or, to put it another way, one can say it has three main functions. These are conscience, intuition and communion.

“From the following three groups of Scripture verses it can readily be observed that our spirits possess the function of conscience (we do not say that the spirit is conscience), the function of intuition (or spiritual sense), and the function of, communion (or worship).

A ) The Function of Conscience in Man's Spirit
"The Lord your God hardened his spirit" Dent. 2.30
"Saves the crushed in spirit" Ps. 34.18
"Put a new and right spirit within me" Ps. 51.10
"When Jesus had thus spoken, be was troubled in spirit" John 13.21
"His spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the
city was full of idols" Acts 17.16
"It is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit
that we are children of God" Rom. 8.16
"I am present in spirit, and as if present, I have already
pronounced judgment" 1 Cor. 5.3
"I had no rest in my spirit" 2 Cor. 2.13 AV
"For God did not give us the spirit of timidity" 2 Tim. 1.7

B The Function of Intuition in Man's Spirit
"The spirit indeed is willing" Matt. 26.41
"Jesus perceiving in his spirit" Mark 2.8
"He sighed deeply in his spirit" Mark 8.12
"He was deeply moved in spirit" John 11.33
"Paul was pressed in the spirit" Acts 18.5 AV
"Being fervent in spirit" Acts 18.25
"I am going to Jerusalem, bound in the spirit" Acts 20.22
"What person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of the
man which is in him" 1 Cor. 2.11
"They refreshed my spirit as well as yours" I Cor. 16.18
"His spirit was refreshed by you all" 2 Cor. 7.13 AV

C The Function of Communion in Man's Spirit
"My spirit rejoices in God my Savior" Luke 1.47
"The true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth" John 4.23
"Whom I serve with my spirit" Rom. 1.9
"We serve ... in the new life of the spirit" Rom. 7.6
"You have received the spirit of sonship when we cry Abba Father" Rom. 8.15 "The Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit" Rom. 8.16
"He who is united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him" I Cor. 6.17
"I will sing with the spirit" 1 Cor. 14.15
"If you bless with the spirit" I Cor. 14.16
"In the spirit he carried me away" Rev. 21.10
“We can know by these Scriptures that our spirit possesses at least these three functions.”

Scot, Ron, others

See T. Austin-Sparks:
What is Man? Chapter 5 “Where Christendom is Deceived”
http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/001341.html
i
in which TAS writes:

“The Attributes of the Human Spirit
“As the soul is a trinity of reason, affection, and volition, so is the spirit a trinity. Its attributes are conscience, communion (worship) and intuition.”

By the way, this book, What is Man?. is currently being put up chapter by chapter at
http://www.austin-sparks.net/

Here is the Preface to the book.

What is Man?
by T. Austin-Sparks

Preface
To my readers I would say that, although the main subject of the tripartite nature (body, soul and spirit) of man is such a controversial one, this book is not entered as a part of the controversy. Such a course would only be to contradict its main contention—that Divine things can only be entered into by revelation and never by reason. Indeed, I have no wish that anyone should read this book unless they are really exercised about reality and spiritual things. I would ask for openness of heart as the one concession to the Spirit of truth if, peradventure, He might be ready to use what is written here for enlightenment.

No claim is made to any expert knowledge. The contents represent more the result of observation and experience amongst Christian people over a wide area during a good number of years, than of study of the subject itself.

The book goes out with a prayer which comes from long ago, "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him; having the eyes of your heart enlightened" (Eph 1:17).
T.A-S

2004/11/13 13:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

The other posters have made good points as to what/how the spiritual sense is. Now I would like to share what IMHO it is in actual life, or where the rubber meets the road.

I pray daily that I would be led by the Holy Spirit in everything I will do this day and in everything I may encounter. As the day wears on, I will receive in my spirit a strong impression on something that is usually foreign to my natural way of thinking. I have by experience been taught that to violate this, brings me a measure of grief because this leading had proved to be the superior of my own logic which at best is faulty and shortsighted. The Holy Spirit's prompting has again proven to be far superior to my own logic. Then when ever I follow this leading the results surpass my original expectations.

I must say though, the Holy Spirit will not tell me to anything contray to scripture...it always harmonizes with it.

Spiritual sense? I would say it is when you hear the Holy Spirt speak to your hear/mind prompting you to do something in accordance to the will of the Heavenly Father. I pray daily to the LORD Jesus that the Holy Spirit would teach me to be sensitive to his leading and that I would learn to recognize/discern his leading/voice when he speaks.

Ginnyrose

2004/11/14 10:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy