SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The expositors study bible / the strand study bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorjoem

The expositors study bible / the strand study bible

I was was wondering If anyone had any thoughts about
The expositors study bible from jimmy swaggart ministries
and also the Strand studt Bible.

Thanks in advance for any and all Input

Pastor Joem

2010/5/24 22:21Profile

Re: The expositors study bible

ESB: JSM

Since the threqd on restoration of Jimmy, though only one page was read midpoint, i have begun listening on and off to sonlife radidio.

In the morning they read out of the Expositors Study Bible, with commentary. This is why it was determined not to get one.

Though it is an excellent resource (in compilation of verious commentaries), there are a few errors scattered about (from what has been heard read).

They do emphasis "Jesus Christ crucified", and in what has been heard, there is yet to be heard any mistakes, though their approach is rudimentary.

If you do get one, disregard the other information not relative to their emphasis.

There are errors of:
mss. interpretation,
numeric misrepresentations,
inappropriate analogies,
shortsightednes in symbolic meanings-sometimes altogether wrong,
they hold a dispensational approach rather than emphasis on God's way making covenant...
...and a few other things of lesser import.

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

p.s. Personally, i can't wait to get my hands on the new Holman Study Bible coming out this October.

2010/5/25 0:52
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: The expositors study bible / the strand study bible

I was taught by a completed Jew to never get a study Bible because it is THAT person's viewpoint on principles, concepts and truths that that particular person believes and reads Scripture from.

He always told our church to get a reference bible, concordance, and lots of paper and pencils and allow the Lord to show us the Scripture.

God bless you,

2010/5/25 8:03Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have a study bible and just keep in mind those factors, I haven't come into disagreement with my study bible so far but thought the person could have hit 1st John a lot harder on the Evidences of Salvation but I mostly use it for historical reference and things like that. I understand there are those that are historically wrong but that is why I have you all to keep me and my study bible in check, I also will give my study bible the credit if I am taking from what the writers wrote. So if I post something that my study bible says that you think is wrong let me know! :)

2010/5/25 8:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
I was taught by a completed Jew to never get a study Bible because it is THAT person's viewpoint on principles, concepts and truths that that particular person believes and reads Scripture from.

Completed Jew, I really like that! That's honestly one of the best places we can get human teaching from as Christians too. Who better than to explain Jewish Scriptures, written by Jews, for Jews, from a Jewish viewpoint, about a Jewish God, to us gentiles. Many Christians unfortunately still for some reason try to view God's Word through the spectacles of western thinking, reasoning, logic, and culture. It's quite amazing what the Lord will do with one of His children from Israel when he gets a hold of them.

2010/5/25 9:14
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: study bibles

Matthew,

I sort of understand because my friend gave me her NIV Archaeology Bible, though that is not my reading Scripture Bible, that is my reading all the historical biblical archaeology facts book!!

It doesn't matter really, Matt, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone for reading a study Bible (sorry if that came across), I was just sharing what I was told and actually, what I do practice.

I will fight for anyone's right to read whatever version of the Bible they want to read; even though I still read from my old KJV! (huge grin) The very first one I bought a matter of fact in a 1978 - a giant print reference Bible. I had it rebound two years ago. They did a beautiful job on it!!

God bless you all!!

2010/5/25 9:57Profile

Re:

Being taught by a Messianic Rabbi, among other things, there is adherence here to what Lysa mentions.

Of all the various things taught, such as root words, the pictures behind these roots, and the picture/number behind each letter symbol, there is a deep and comprehensive method in all the maddness.

The method of Bible study used here is summarized in the word Pardes, (meaning orchard), of which exegesis and exposition are only laying a foundation for the next 3 steps.

This will not be detailed here and now, however, i could summarize the basic ideas behind the method(s) employed:

Above all else, first one must throw off every idea considered prior to the portion pursued in study. Come to God, praying always in communication with God about what he is telling you, and admit to him that your ideas will only bring death and what He says is your life.

Come to Him in meekness and you will never be disappointed.

1. Only God knows what His word to us really means, so any interpretation must conform to the whole of scripture -(from Gen. to Rev.)- and unless God cleearly and unmistakeably gives revelation, you can only rely on what is written. Whether the teachings (Torah), the prophets, the writings, as well as New Covenant Texts, if your understanding of whatever passage studied is any different from these, your conception of what is written is wrong.
The Bible is it's own interpreter.

2. Study of a seperate passage requires knowledge in the book it's written as a whole singular piece of information. It is never enough to know only the few verses before and after it. Each book, as well as each passage divided for study, has a beginning, middle, and end. Special attention to these points in the passages, as well as the book they are found in hold significant keys to understanding and interpreting first the book, and then the passage(s) under scrutiny.

How far you go in this determines how far you progress:
a. Reading out loud helps retention three-fold. 1. when you see with your eyes 2. and hear through your soul 3. your heart is affected by the constancy of...

b. Repetition causes remembrance of what is seen, stated and heard.

3. Developing the process of starting and stopping repeatedly ingrains the sriptures as the beginning and end of your thoughts. (Various methods of learning can be employed here: phrases, thoughts, specific words key behind the thoughts of phrases, etc.). read (out loud), stop, reflect for a specific period of time (keep it short though-less than a minute), repeat or (for example) read the next thought, repeat.

These things are a primer into beginning to meditate on the scriptures.

4. Never spend any time searching for answers. Pray to God for the answers, giving your questions to Him. Your job is to meditate on the book on to the passage, but never onto intellectual understanding. In serving the Lord in this manner, He shall provide, not neccessarily what you think you nedd; but what He knows you need to know to progress in living out His Word in your life.

That's all for now.

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

p.s. Commentaries are, at best, tridiary sources and should never be trusted, no matter what accolaides the author holds.

Whose knows better, the commentator, or God?

p.s.s. The concern is not the version, but how one relates with God in the: looking to, speaking of, hearing with, and doing always.

edited: for misspellings, and there are probably still some

2010/5/25 13:25

Re:

One thing that should have been stated earlier:

The answers to the scriptures you search very often do not come with the meditation/observing. Rather, it more often then not haqppens while you are busy going about and doing your daily routines or activities that seem 'more' important.

It is in these times of insight that we do best by bowing down and worshipping our Great God.

2010/5/25 16:20
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Oh no offense was taken, I read and have several other version in fact I would call myself some what of a bible collector/read, I am currently reading from three different versions on a daily basis just kind of soaking it all in. So far my favorite version is the Ampilified version I own though it is a really old paperback I will probably eventually break down and by a leatherback one. I still read from my first bible too NIV. :) So none taken on the offense side since I read many different versions I don't really have one that constantly defend because I think they are all awesome.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/5/27 16:57Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I personally do not recommend study bibles as your main bible because everyone has their opinions on how to interpret the word of God. It is best to rely on God soley for your systematic theology and not just copy someone else's.

though you can benefit from other peoples points of view.

2010/5/27 17:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy