SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : need help

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
whyme

need help

Would anyone know why in John 3:17 many of the translations for the word "sozo" render the text to read "might be saved"???

2010/3/31 11:06Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: need help

GOD has graciously offered salvation to
all {the world}; but it must be received
by faith !!

2010/3/31 20:04Profile

Re: need help

the actual greek reads "that may-be saved the world through him" (otagra & textus receptus:both the same).

it is the word 'through' that throws the meaning from what we could misunderstand it to be. it is not only the significance of it's sequence that makes the verb sozo, but the word 'through' makes it less than imperative.

The word 'through' is 'the-avenue-towards' an act and not the act itself. Because it is a primary preposition, even though it is not a verb, the meaning of the verb hinges on it.

2010/4/1 5:45

Re:

This one has been bugging this noggin' all day.

SO after returning home went to the "Woodside Bible Fellowship's Strong's Exhaustive Concordance(showing every word and occurance, and here is what it says in this instance for the word sozo:

4982 ἐκσῴζω, σῴζω [sozo /sode·zo/] v. From a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, “safe”); TDNT 7:965; TDNTA 1132; GK 1751 and 5392; 110 occurrences; AV translates as “save” 93 times, “make whole” nine times, “heal” three times, “be whole” twice, and translated miscellaneously three times. 1 to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction. 1a one (from injury or peril). 1a1 to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health. 1b1 to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue. 1b to save in the technical biblical sense. 1b1 negatively. 1b1a to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment. 1b1b to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance.

Now i do not have to call someone who knows far more than me.

Personally, Salvation is known as to "make whole" irregardless what manifestation of the curse shows forth.

Today i asked the Lord, "why sozo" and wondered why no other verb form. He told me that he is always present to save, and the verb DOES NOT neccesarily hinge on the preposition (like i thought).

The phrase is saying two things at once. Salvation is ever present and the Jesus is the avenue towards receiving it. 'Be' is a 'may-be' because of the "through"...or so it seems.

Maybe i'll get corrected about this, too.

AMEN!

2010/4/1 19:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy