SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : what it should be...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rdv

what it should be...

I am curios to what some think the church would look like today, if were operating as God had intended. Not just as individuals but as a "church".

2009/9/18 21:39Profile
HeartSong

Re: what it should be...

It would be heaven on earth.

2009/9/18 22:27Profile
anonymity

Well, I think we look to the early Church in Acts and also the the Epistles of Paul to the early Churches.

Meaning Apostolic authority, Prophetic revelation, Evangelistic multitudes of salvation. The full manifestations of the supernatural gifts of the Spirit, edifying the body, sacrifice and suffering, unity, and so forth.

There would of course be some differences in more specific things as the Lord so please and as there is some variation, but the main things will be foundational.

Still though I believe that one cant get it all just by reading. It must be revealed and experienced from the Lord. A fullness many have yet to come close to comprehend.

This to you may be an obvious answer and maybe not specific enough. I understand that. I would say though that there are other things to consider.

There are some thoughts against what I have said. As there are those who would believe that many of the gifts have ceased, that manifestations have ceased, and that these things were only for the founding of the Church.

Or still some would say other things like it is not the Lord's will at this time to have such a powerful thing released. Or the Lord does not always do it the same. Or when the believers shared all things in common it was actually an error and this is why the Church became poor. Or we have no Apostles so what to do. Or the office of Apostle has ceased.

Then in contrast there are those who say that God will move even greater then he did in the beginning and that was only the beginning. It will crescendo and culminate in the end times. The Spirit will be poured out in the last days and these are the last of the last days. The early Church was young and did not yet reach the fullness of the body of Christ built up. As the world grows darker the power of the Church will grow more powerfully.

So this is the question I would raise. This is what I wrestle with. I want what the early Church had. I don't want to be some nominal Church though I do want to be sound and wholesome. I do want to be greater then the early Church.

What do you think or all think? Should the Church now be as the early Church? Should it be lesser in some senses? Or should it be greater?

2009/9/18 22:33Profile
elharris

Re:

What it would NOT be.

First of all there would be no church buildings. Believers would meet in homes. There would be no Bible colleges, or professional preachers or theologians. You might say everyone would just be "home schooled".

First Century Church in the House

Follow the progression of scriptures, to see the organizational structure of the first century Church.

Romans 16:5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house (church) of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

1 Corinthians 16:15 I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house (church) of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

1 Corinthians 16:19 The (house) churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, [b]with the church that is in their house.[/b]

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, [b]and the church which is in his house.[/b]

1 Timothy 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1 Timothy 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the (house) church of God?)

1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

So we have already seen that god lives in us, that we live in houses, and that God’s will was the house church, and that this was the organizational structure of the pillar and ground of the truth.

1 Timothy 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house (church) to house (church) ; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.

2 Timothy 1:16 The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:

Philemon 1:2 And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, [b]and to the church in thy house:[/b]
2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house (church), neither bid him God speed:

So why a house church? Because it kept things small enough that people could all learn, contribute and not fall through the cracks.

We were NEVER meant to have these huge Churches.

Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from [b]house to house[/b], did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, [b]and in every house[/b], they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

Acts 8:3 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Acts 12:12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.

Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Acts 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

This would have then become a “house church”.

Acts 16:4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.

Acts 16:5 And so were the churches (eccleisas, houses and households of believers) established in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Acts 16:30 - 34 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, [b]and thy house.[/b] And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and [b]to all that were in his house.[/b]

And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, [b]and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.[/b]

Acts 16:40 And they went out of the prison, and entered into the house (church) of Lydia: and when they had seen the brethren, they comforted them, and departed.

As you see the “house” church of Lydia grew, as did all the house churches.

Acts 17:5 But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.

Why the house of Jason? Because Jason and all his house believed and there would have been a church in his house.

Acts 18:And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

There then would have been a house church in his home. They would not have then taken and said “OK now we’re going to take over this synagogue and make it into a Christian Church.

Acts 20:20 Paul talking to the Ephesians - And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, (That would be house church to house church in Ephesus)

152 Acts 21:8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

Phillip would have also had a “house church”. It’s just the way it was, the way it was originally ordained by God to be.

The end of the letter to the Romans really shows us how many house churches there were in Rome.

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:

2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:

4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

5 [b]Likewise greet the church that is in their house.[/b] Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

6 Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.

7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

8 Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.

9 Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.

10 Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.

11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.

12 Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.

13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.

14 Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, [b]and the brethren which are with them.[/b] IN THEIR HOUSE.

15 Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, [b]and all the saints which are with them.[/b]

16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

All the churhes were in homes. Not because they could not build a church, but because they were never supposed to build churches.

This is one reason why when an elder was ordained, they had to be honest men who knew how to rule their own houses well, having the wife and children in all subjection. Any one who had a meeting of this sort in their home, had to have all the qualifications mentioned in Timothy and Titus.

The meetings themselves, would be a meeting of EQUALS. The Greek word ecclesia was an assembly of free citizens, meeting to conduct the affairs of the state.

In this case you would have a range of believers in varrious states of growth and learning the teachings of Jesus Christ.

They would also be in varrious states of operating the manifestations of the holy spirit.

Coming together was first of all to learn and become established in the truth of the Word of God, and then to fellowship with one another. Then to PRACTICE operating the manifestations of holy spirit.

This was all done decently and in order, and directed by whoever was set in place to keep order and be the main example to the believers, which would have been the elder et.

Each believer would walk in the power of Christ, and be a wittness in the community, bringing others to the meetings.

In the meetings they would see examples of people speaking in tongues, after it was explained what it was. They would see examples of interpretaton and also hear prophecy.

Sometimes you would also see the other manifestations in operation. Sometimes devils would be cast out and people delivered. Other times, healing would be ministered. Other times miracles of varrious sorts, it would all depend on what the need was, as to what manifestaiton would be in operation in any one given individual.

From the least to the greatest would these examples come forth, since in varrious states of growth, all at one time or another would have the opportunity to share as God worked through them.

It would definately be a participating meeting, with all at some point getting to contribute.

Each memeber would have the same care for one another, and they all would help each other.

It would be something like this.

Regards,
El

2009/9/19 5:03Profile

Quote:
Not just as individuals but as a "church".

This is a great thread! :)
There are so many ways the church would be operating differently than it does today if it were to follow the teachings of the early church. Here's one:
Members having the same care one for another, all suffering together, all rejoicing together. (1 Corinthians 12:26)

2009/9/19 6:15

Quote:

rdv wrote:
I am curios to what some think the church would look like today, if were operating as God had intended. Not just as individuals but as a "church".

We think of the First Church, but pretty much every Epistle was written to correct errors in the First Church and the Early Church fathers had to do the same. It never ends - the only difference now is that what is called the church is not as correctable or willing to hear correction as the first church was.
Jesus, Paul, Peter, Jude & John said that it will only get worse, the closer we get to Jesus' Return BUT - HE WILL have A CHURCH that will finally be able to rest with Him and not have to always have the Sword of the Spirit weilding, but only at His Coming or when we meet the others in Heaven already.
Until then, the fight will go on - we've been promised that and exhorted to not faint nor grow weary contending for and defending the faith once delivered.
I had a vision of the last days Saints many years ago. On earth, they looked like death warmed over, but in their eyes was that Glory filled look of VICTORY. These were the battle fatigued Overcomers. Yes, He will have a Church and persecution will brighten their light so that they'll be more recognizable.
Luk 18:8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall He find faith on the earth?

Keep The Faith and see you then. :-)

2009/9/21 0:10
Leo_Grace

Re:

People would come together every Sunday not to be served, but to serve. There would be no need for a large building, no choir, no sermon, no service because these people would be reading and meditating on Scripture, and worshiping and praising God on their own at home everyday.

After a brief meeting in the early morning to organize the day's activities, they would go out in small groups to various mission points to preach the gospel, to minister to the needs of others, visit the elderly, and accomplish other activities as they are led by the Spirit.

Later in the afternoon, they would meet again briefly to discuss what has transpired, to pray in thanksgiving, to ask for God's guidance, and to plan for next week's activities. Organizing is done quickly and effectively with no fuss.

There would be no need for budget meetings, fund raisers or passing the plate. All their ministry activities, which they faithfully pray over, will have the necessary resources on hand when needed without anyone knowing or asking how these were raised.

They would all know and love each other as one happy family, trusting in God and caring for each other. Peace and joy would fill their hearts each and every day, though trials will abound.

2009/9/21 0:55Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I seem to recall that persecution was a hallmark of the early church.

Stephen was stoned to death, Acts 7.

They were scattered because of Stephen's death, and there was great persecution, Acts 8v1.

James was killed with the sword, and Peter was put in prison,Acts 12, etc.

So, if the church were operating as God intended, things would be so different.

2009/9/21 6:09Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Friends,

I understand there are many here who are deeply concerned about the state of the church in America, as am I. However, I want to encourage you all to be committed to a visible, local church.

Even when there was incest going on in the church at Corinth, Paul didn't write a separate letter to all of the "remnant" telling them leave the church. Life in the local church is sometimes frustrating and tough, but it's also joyful and edifying - if you are committed to it.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/9/21 9:13Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
El Wrote: What it would NOT be. First of all there would be no church buildings. Believers would meet in homes. There would be no Bible colleges, or professional preachers or theologians. You might say everyone would just be "home schooled".

It is true that the early church is not recorded as building houses of worship. I see facilities whether they be "church" buildings, Bible colleges, etc. simply as tools for the real church to use as she does the work of the ministry. For example, God has given us (part of our fellowship) a vision for a school of ministry to train men and women from the nations and to send them out to do the work of the ministry. We will need facilities to fulfill this vision that God has given us. The facility is only a tool. It is not the "church". I totally agree with the fact that the church is NOT a building we go to, a religious exercise, a disconnected part of our lives similar to "work" and "entertainment", etc. The church of the Living God is a living organism, not an organization.

So, what would it look like? I think anonymity's post paints a pretty good picture of the visible results of the church becoming what God intended it to be. I believe the church was always intended to look like it did as we see it in the New Testament. How do we get there? Well, the body is made of many member, of which I am one. If one member suffers, all suffer. If one member is deficient, it will have an effect on the whole body. Corporate revival is not possible apart from individual revival. I think it comes down to me as an individual determining that I WILL live in the presence of the Lord no matter what price I have to pay to be there. I am willing to do whatever it takes for the sake of drawing near to God. That, I think, is what the early church looked like. They were martyrs long before they ever had to give their lives. Whether I live or die, I do it unto the Lord. I am dead to self, sold out to Him. That is what characterized the early church, and I am convinced that is why they walked in what anonymity describes.

2009/9/21 22:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy