SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Gideons

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Gideons

My church has recently brought in a gideon to speak to our church.That person came on two occasions. Now, one of them sort of came and talked to me after service today to see if I would be interested to come to a "meeting" of some sort.He said my pastor specifically recommended me which made me feel good. I dont know a whole lot about them besides their main trait of putting bibles in hotels. I have done just a little research on them, and so far, I havent found anything negative. I guess I am feeling a little unsure.Can some of you out there fill me in about them.Have you had any good or bad experiences with them?
I appreciate it!
GOD Bless
John

2008/9/14 19:03Profile

Re: Gideons

I know Ray Comfort, was involved with Gideons International for seven years and he seemed to think it was a great ministry.

http://www.livingwaters.com/articles_ray_archive/articles_ray_03-04-16_dosomething.shtml

2008/9/14 20:03
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Gideons

Hi jamccor...

The Gideons provide Bibles to schools, hotels and at other public places.

They used to come to my college (a "secular" university) and pass out pocket New Testament Bibles to anyone who would accept them. They would stand in the Student Union Building, cafeteria and in major academic buildings and simply ask if anyone wanted a free Bible. I still have the one that I received as a Freshman! One of the men who handed them out told me that their group passed out over 2000 in a single day!

They didn't spend time trying to teach doctrine or the plan of salvation. I suppose that they figured that the Word of God presents the truth about our need for salvation far better than we can.

I know that this is an expensive endeavor. I've often lamented the fact that some mega-churches spend a fortune on elaborate productions (like dramas and musicals) that could have easily purchased Bibles for everyone in town. One of the churches that I attended spent tens of thousands of dollars on equipment that can "make angels fly" during a couple of dramas each year. I just thought that the money might have been better spent if it was used to purchase Bibles for the entire town.

This is what the Gideons do. They realized the emptiness and loneliness of travelers, so they place Bibles in hotels. It is a great idea...and I have read many testimonies of lives that were changed!!!

:-)

2008/9/14 23:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy