SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bi-Vocational Ministry?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Bi-Vocational Ministry?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a job/career path that would compliment somebody looking to do "bi-vocational" ministry? I plan on planting churches one day, and would like to pickup something that I could easily take with me from one city to another. Recommendations?

2008/5/22 20:34Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Bi-Vocational Ministry?

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a job/career path that would compliment somebody looking to do "bi-vocational" ministry? I plan on planting churches one day, and would like to pickup something that I could easily take with me from one city to another. Recommendations?

My pastor cleans office buildings in the evenings. It's basically just take out the trash and vacuum after it's closed down. It may sound like a low job, but if you can get somewhere like a doctor's office you can actually make some really good money. If you did something like that you could work like 5 hours in the evening (after 5) and have the whole day to do whatever you need.

If you do that you have to take out your own taxes. In this case you are basically your own business and they just pay you like they would any other company.

2008/5/22 20:52Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I personally need something that pays around 35,000 a year due to my financial situation. Ideally, 40-45 hours a week.

2008/5/22 20:53Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Bi-Vocational Ministry?

Medical/Dental professionals have a lot of freedom of movement once they finish with school and rotations. Plus you can use your skills as tools for ministry/missions as well.

IT professionals are needed in almost every geographic location in the country, people with network skills, database skills, programming skills. Definitely a lot of mobility capable for people in the technology field.

Accounting professionals and other financial professionals are needed just about everywhere, if you can get a CPA you can move pretty freely.

Legal professionals have a lot of mobility, there are a lot of different fields within the legal profession -contract law, copyright law etc. The legal profession has a bad rap, there are plenty of Christians within the legal field and there are plenty of places where you could go with a legal profession.

2008/5/22 20:54Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Ideally, 40-45 hours a week.

Oh ok, you're wanting a full-time job. Don't you have a little bit of a computer background (I don't remember)? You can find technology jobs all over the place.

2008/5/22 20:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Legal professionals have a lot of mobility, there are a lot of different fields within the legal profession -contract law, copyright law etc. The legal profession has a bad rap, there are plenty of Christians within the legal field and there are plenty of places where you could go with a legal profession.

I have a bachelors degree and paralegal certificate, sadly, even after over a year of searching I've not been able to get further than a mail/copy clerk. Few want anybody doing entry-level work. I keep plugging away resumes and praying, but, alas... no doors seem to open in my area.

2008/5/22 20:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Don't you have a little bit of a computer background (I don't remember)?

Sadly, my technology background is a bit dated, and I don't have the opportunity to go back to school at this time.

2008/5/22 21:00Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:
PreachParsly wrote:
Oh ok, you're wanting a full-time job. Don't you have a little bit of a computer background (I don't remember)? You can find technology jobs all over the place.

One of the greatest needs within most ministries and missions agencies right now are people with networking, database, programming and web development skills. If you like technology you should definitely look into expanding this skill set -I believe there will be a lot more Christian ministry activity done with technology in the future (take this website for example).
There are plenty of community colleges and vocational skills that offer classes in technology fields pretty cheaply, and once you get a few certifications (MSYQL, Windows Server etc.) you ca find jobs pretty quickly.
Technology professionals who work on a contract basis can often set their own hours which lets them free up time to invest in ministry etc.

2008/5/22 21:01Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

KingJimmy wrote:

Quote:

I have a bachelors degree and paralegal certificate, sadly, even after over a year of searching I've not been able to get further than a mail/copy clerk. Few want anybody doing entry-level work. I keep plugging away resumes and praying, but, alas... no doors seem to open in my area.

There is a ministry called 'Christian Legal Society' which you might be interested in. They might be able to give you advise or coaching on writing an effective resume or interviewing. Here is their website: http://www.clsnet.org/

2008/5/22 21:05Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

You don't necessarily need to go to school. If you can get a certificate it's nearly as good.

Here are a few different groups you can get certified with. If you get a technology certification you can almost always get a job.

[url=http://cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html]Cisco[/url]

[url=http://certification.comptia.org/allcerts.aspx]CompTIA[/url]

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx]Microsoft[/url]

Many of them you can just buy a book or so, study the material, and take a test.

EDIT: If you skim through monster.com for tech jobs you will probably see many of them either requiring that you are certified or wanting you to be.

2008/5/22 21:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy