SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Joel Osteen claims on Fox News that Mormons are Christians too...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Joel Osteen claims on Fox News that Mormons are Christians too...

I know there are some here who like Osteen, and there is even a member of his church who is very active on this forum... but when America's most popular pastor says something as false as this nationwide... it needs to be exposed.

In an interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, December 23, Joel Osteen said that he believes Mormons are true Christians.

When Wallace asked whether a Mormon can be classified as "a true Christian," Osteen replied: "In my mind they are. Mitt Romney has said that he believes in Christ as his Savior, and that's what I believe. I'm not the one to judge the [b]little details[/b] of Mormonism, so I believe [Mormons are Christians] and Mitt Romney seems like a man of character and integrity to me..." ("Pastor Joel Osteen Speaks out on Mormonism," OneNewsNow, Dec. 28, 2007).

Osteen is the pastor of America's largest church, the Lakewood Church of Houston, Texas, and it appears to me that either he is incredibly ignorant, incredibly gullible, or incredibly deceptive. Mormonism holds a false gospel and worships a false christ. Official Mormon doctrine claims that salvation is by works and that Jesus is the brother of Satan. (regardless of their recent “denials” due to the presidential election, this is exactly what they believe)

Pastor Cooper Abrams III, an independent Baptist missionary in Utah, made the following important statement: [i]"One question that I would ask all Mormons is this: 'If I accept you as a Christian, will you accept me as a Mormon?' Would you accept me as a Mormon if I reject Joseph Smith and all the LDS prophets as being prophets of God. If I do not believe in temple endowments, the LDS gospel, would you accept me as a Mormon? The answer is obviously, you would not. In like manner, when Mormonism denies the Bible and every Christian doctrine do you think that Biblical Christians should accept Mormons as Christians? Again the answer is very obvious, no we will not. You cannot legitimately claim to be Christians when you refuse to accept what the Bible teaches and what a true Christian believes. I would implore Mormons to honestly and openly examine their teachings about God and Jesus Christ and examine who the Bible defines as being a Christian. There is no benefit in calling yourself a 'Christian' when biblically you are not" (Abrams, Are Mormons Christians?, 1996).[/i]

Krispy

2008/1/11 7:47

Re: Joel Osteen claims on Fox News that Mormons are Christians too...

By the way... this is not about politics or Mitt Romney. This is about Joel Osteen's false claims. Let's stay focussed.

Krispy

2008/1/11 8:12
ironwood

Re:

I believe in miracles.

When I am placed in a civilian detention camp, I believe that I could be roomies with Joel. I will ask him if he would like me to bribe the guard in to getting us a copy of "Your Best Life Now".

2008/1/11 8:18Profile

Re:

At that point he'll have to rename the book "Your Best Life (is Behind You) Now" ... lol

Krispy

2008/1/11 8:49
davym

Re: Joel Osteen claims on Fox News that Mormons are Christians too...

Quote:
it appears to me that either he is incredibly ignorant, incredibly gullible, or incredibly deceptive.

I like the use of the word 'incredibly' here.

Brother, I've pondered this for a while. I kinda hope it is one of the first two. He's a family man and there's no doubt his ministry does a lot of good work around the world. He seems to court popularity with the world though. He's 'everybody's favorite pastor'.

The verses that come to mind are Matthew 7v13-15

[i]13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.[/i]

'few there be that find it'. That's quite scary, but it's not going to change. These megachurches contradict this. Their ministry appeals to our flesh nature (not all though).

Wolf in sheep's clothing he may be. To state that Mormons are Christians is to deceive the world. No doubt about it. Their doctrine is from the pit.

Other verses that come to mind are 2 Timothy 3v12-14

[i]12Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;[/i]

Wow, the Bible really sums it up doesn't it. I just pray one day he'll see his error and have the courage to tell his congregation. What a witness that may be.

Joel would probably argue that he interprets scripture different to me (which he does) and that's his right. There's a lot of good people in his congregation though who aren't getting fed proper doctrine (imho) and it's tragic to think of the souls that may be lost.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt though and will do. Many have told me I'm too soft because I do this, but I just feel we must be extremely careful in questioning these people. They may in fact be God's people, but perhaps just in a state of disobedience.

To know the truth is a wonderful born again privilege and we must use this discernment wisely. I've said before on this site that there was strong, vociferous reeling against the Roman Catholic Church here in Northern Ireland. Scripturally it was correct, but a fierce, bitter 'war' ensued and we now have generations who have bitterness bred into them. i.e. I feel it backfired horrifically. I know this topic is not particularly relevant to this thread, but it just makes me very wary of the best way of handling opposition to false doctrine. Grace should be at the forefront.

David

2008/1/11 10:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt though and will do. Many have told me I'm too soft because I do this, but I just feel we must be extremely careful in questioning these people. They may in fact be God's people, but perhaps just in a state of disobedience.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but Joel is developing quite an amazing trend of saying things diametrically opposed to Biblical doctrine on shows like Larry King Live, Fox News, etc... and then issuing a clarification or apology after the fact (and after much heat from believers).

If you're a preacher, and you're agreeing to go on these shows, you better be able to recite sound doctrine "in season and out of season".

I'm trying not to be judgemental here because I dont know Joel Osteen's heart, however, I believe the evidence suggests that he is more concerned with maintaining his popularity. If he would preach the hard Biblical truth he would not be very popular with the world. Thats a fact.

Krispy

2008/1/11 11:00
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

You know what's funny is all this "exposure" everyone speaks of it's like free advertising for the Church I feel we will need the old Astrodome soon the way it's growing go figure, by the way why always Pastor Joel "all the time" here? read my signature line. I tell you what, I will meet you half way you find me another Church in Houston that the Pastor teaches flawless gospel I will change Churches "You have my Blessing on finding that".

Look for all you that continue to expose Pastor Joel faults why not expose you own along with his, You know I have said this before and I will say it once again that I will "never" leave Lakewood Church if you knew my testimony and how I ended up there you "might" understand but I doubt it, so if anyone is thinking there "exposing" of my Pastor will ever change my mind please don't hold your breath. We have "some" of the most unforgiving so called Christians here that just continue to stir not "sincerely" expose it's unreal, I am sure Jesus would do the same thing right? yea.

If all you exposers used your time to be more valuable way for Gods kingdom he would probably Bless you so much with all the good things to do for his Kingdom you would not even have time to get bored and dig up stuff. I know you will never understand this because folks the continually waste their time degrading folks instead of praying for them probably are not the kind that would understand, but trust me one day you will be dealt the same in life folks will expose and degrade you my guess this would fall under you "will" reap what you sow, I did not say that or Pastor Osteen but God did.

Look you better think God "if you are a Christian" you don't have a microphone hooked up to you for the world to hear everything you say, because if you did I am sure you would never say anything bad again about anyone unless maybe your a Politician they do it all the time.
I think that people have gotten so caught up in certain of their ideas being “true” or “right” that they have lost the most true and right ideas of all, that we can find truth in many of the famous pastors in America if we would only take off our critical lenses for one minute.

Do you give God a chance to work in your life? Or do you expect microwaved, freeze-dried, instant results? well if you do why not give "God" a chance to work in Pastors Joel's life.
How would you like it if you and your spouse were having some serious problems and you were both praying for God to mend or work out your relationship problems, but in the mist of your prayers you have your buddy's telling you, man that girl is a nut case did you hear what she told so and so you need to find you another woman, this is the same thing you are trying to tell me as I keep my Pastor in prayer, look your a so Christian and love God and he is your Lord and savior and you trust him right? well why in the heck don't you trust him to help Pastor Joel? I will never figure that out your like the Christian at the buffet, I will take a little of this and some of that, well hopefully Jesus will not treat your life as a buffet and give you a little of this and a little of that when he really wants to Bless your socks off, good Lord folks give God a chance don't try and be God.

2008/1/11 11:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

davym wrote:
I just pray one day he'll see his error and have the courage to tell his congregation. What a witness that may be.
David

David this is the attitude of a real man of God to do just this, you have a sweet spirit and a total understanding of how Prayer can work I can see that, please do the Christian thing and keep Pastor Joel in prayer and don't let the nay sayers lead you let God lead you.
God Bless
Mr. Bill

2008/1/11 11:15Profile

Re:

Bill... I agree with you on almost 99% of things we discuss on here. But when it comes to Joel Osteen your bias for him is overwhelming. I wish that you could step back and take an honest look at what he says on national TV, but you dont seem to be able to.

As your brother I feel the need to warn you that your defensive posture when Osteen is mentioned smacks of "cult of personality".

Instead giving evidence of Joel's teachings to show us that we may be wrong about him, you turn it into a personal thing against us. I merely quote what he said on national TV, and point out that he was obviously wrong... and you question everything about MY spiritual life except perhaps my salvation.

I love you Bill... but on this matter, your devotion to Pastor Osteen is blinding you.

I pray that no one in my fellowship ever put me on a pedastol that high. It's not the height that would bother me, it would be the sudden stop at the bottom when I fall off of it.

Krispy

2008/1/11 11:20

Re:

Quote:
David this is the attitude of a real man of God to do just this, you have a sweet spirit and a total understanding of how Prayer can work I can see that, please do the Christian thing and keep Pastor Joel in prayer and don't let the nay sayers lead you let God lead you.

So can I assume that you're saying this is not my attitude? How would you know this?

Krispy

2008/1/11 11:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy