SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What do you say at a funeral when there loved one died in sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

What do you say at a funeral when there loved one died in sin?

Lets say for example Suzie died in her sin. She overdosed on drugs or something. What do you tell the people at the funeral when there all saying, "She's in a better place now." or "At least she's in heaven smiling down upon us."

All I could tell these weeping people was that "The Bible says that 'Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted."

2007/11/26 23:15Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: What do you say at a funeral when there loved one died in sin?

The truth.

2007/11/27 0:06Profile

Re: What do you say at a funeral when there loved one died in sin?

I'm not sure funerals are the best place to tell direct family members that the deceased is in hell. Perhaps I'm wrong. I tend to stress the fact that we all die and then stand before God. If someone picks up on that and presses the issue, I tell them something along the lines of "the Bible says ____" I point away from myself, towards the Bible, this decreases the chance of me getting mugged and makes them curious as to what this Bible says about death and judgment (if the Holy Spirit is working on them).

2007/11/27 0:28
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Maybe I should elaborate some...

The truth does not mean to use the "turn or burn" approach, but to use the truth when and where it is warranted. I beleive that a certain amount of descernment on the message needs to be applied.

My point was that we should not hide behind the "he/she is in a better place" senario, but to use this opportunity to let the message of the Lord through.

It is also highly recommended that you inform said party about what you intend to talk about BEFORE accepting the offer. If the receiving party is ok with your message, give it a go.

I know of a similar experience like this where the young man died of a herion overdose, and his best friend gave a very Godly message to the crowd. They were in denial and all "thought" that he had a bad heart (reason for the death). The man giving the message stayed true to the word, yet used descernment when proceeding. Very good message in a horrible situation.

2007/11/27 1:10Profile

Re:

I had no idea you meant "what do you say at a funeral" if you are giving the eulogy! I thought you meant as a mere visitor.

My apologies. I think Miccah hit it right on the money.

God Bless

2007/11/27 2:48

Re:

My experience has been that surprisingly enough, people at this time of mourning are more concerned with their own soul than the soul of the one who deceased. Even tho many are in differing stages of denial during the funeral, most are acutely aware that nothing can change what has already happened, but they are very much aware that they can still make a change.

I would not recommend you dwell on the eternal destiny of the one who just passed... but rather focus on the one who is there at the funeral.

It is certainly not time for a hellfire and brimstone approach. They can not receive that at this point, and even Christ comforted tho who were mourning for the dead. He never once came raving about hell and eternal damnation when he was talking to a mourning parent or sibling. He wept with them. He comforted them. Thats what we should do while we keep our eyes open for an opportunity to present the hope of Christ.

Krispy

2007/11/27 7:44
poet

Longview WA

Re:

Good question,
When I went to see Keith Daniel during his tour, he came through Hillsboro, oregon.
He told a story about his dad or somebody when at a funeral, wept and let everyone know that the person was in hell and if we dont repent and turn from our wicked ways we will get the same.
I was kinda stunned with the story but had to admire the moxy.
I suppose if we are vigilant and properly warn people of the impending judgment..
it is appointed for man to die and then the judgment.
So when we said something like that everyone would know that we warned him/her ahead of time.
Im not brave enough to do something like that.
(yet)
try and get that sermon when Greg gets them...
God bless.

2007/11/27 8:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I agree with Krispy...

My DH's step-nephew committed suicide. The officiating pastor at the church preached salvation. He did not preach the man into heaven or give any comments on his eternal destiny. I have really appreciated that man's sermon. Methinks he did a fantastic job in handling that situation.

I do grieve when preachers will preach a person into heaven when he/she was known to be away from God. My cousin's husband was very grieved to attend a funeral like this because of one thing: they operated a personal care home for the elderly and this well-known man died in their home. They witnessed his death and his reactions when the death angel came were anything but pleasant. So sad.

Yes, it sems to me one needs to be very careful in what you tell the loved ones left behind. You can tell them you are praying for them during this difficult time and then do. Death is God's way to force home to those that remain that we all will go that way some time.

Blessings,

ginnyrose

2007/11/27 18:53Profile

Re:

Some good responses. It is a difficult situation - I've been there - how to be faithful to God's Truth while still being caring and sensitive to those who are grieving?

However, I wouldn't consign the person to hell necessarily (not even in my own mind). Only God and that person knows what went on between Him and them in the days, hours or moments before death, while maybe unconscious, unable to give any sign of it to their loved ones. How do we know if they may have repented, even at that almost too late stage? We can't know one way or another in most cases, but we can always hope.

I know, or know of, of a number of people who came to Christ on their deathbed, or the Lord actually [i]told[/i] those who were praying for their salvation that their prayers were answered. One was my own father.

So what to say at a funeral? Pray for the right words, and say what He gives is probably the only suggestion I can add to what has already been said! But especially make it clear that no-one gets to heaven by being a good person, but only by the grace of God, and only if we receive Jesus.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/11/27 19:12

Re:

Hello all,

I do not post here often due to many of comments here, bt i thought I would chime in here.

I agree totally with Krispy,
It is extremely difficult to discuss or deal with eternity with people at funerals bcuz they r already dealing with eternity, they just didn't tell u that...

the Lord speaks loudly yet gently to their hearts while in attendance, while reviewing the chain of events, as well as rewinding all of the word that they have probably received as children.

God will do all the preaching in a very special way, better than we can

2007/11/27 19:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy