SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modest Swimwear

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Watered

Re:

i'm sorry if i am hijacking this thread, i just have a quick question. Please forgive me if i sound disgusting, but what is lust? because being a 17 year old , and i go to a public school, and some of the girls dress crazy, how do i know that i lust, like i have a main idea of what it is but can someone give me a definition, because the way i deal with this problem is i just look at the ground, its safe that way but sometimes you see a very beautiful young lady and i don't know if i lust, i just really want to be pure and Godly and i want to view young ladies in a pure and right fashion.

Again please forgive me that i am writing this and if it is inappropriate, this topic is a scary topic. Thanks much.

2008/9/8 20:13Profile

Re:

Wow! It's amazing all of the positive responses I have recieved already on my xanga site regarding this post. Women are outraged and should be. Their is a big difference between a lack of discretion and dressing like a whore and we all should know the difference and do unless were just not saved.

2008/9/8 20:17
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
but what is lust?

Lust is when you have a strong desire for something that is not rightfully yours to have or use. Make sense? A person can lust for things (covetousness), for a persons body (fornicate), power (pride of life). Simply put it is a perversion of desire. Make sense?

I am impressed with your desire to be holy. You talk this over with the LORD and I am sure He will impress upon your mind what it is.

God bless you, son,
ginnyrose

2008/9/8 20:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Here we two examples of the extremes of Christianity and in my view both are wrong

So be it if obedience to the Holy Spirit's leading is being legalistic: I happily accept that distinction!

Sir, I wonder what gives with you? Anytime anyone takes a postion on anything you come along and call them legalistic or attack them in one form or another. Why do you fight others so much?

ginnyrose

2008/9/8 20:57Profile

Re:

I just recieved this from another sister on this subject. The replies on my post just keep coming in. I so thank God, for women with convictions after all of the whoredom we face every Sunday morning. I know their are alot of women in our church who are not happy about it but have not yet spoken out about it. My comment on the church websight is still under "review" so it may not get posted.

"Student Groups - General
Description:
Hey girls,
I received an e-mail awhile back and I was not going to read it because I did not know who it was from, but I am so glad that I did. Girls, I am not preaching, but I encourage you to read this letter from the hearts of our Christian brothers. I love you sisters and that is why I am sending this your way! Let's be an encouragement and help to our brothers! :)
Letter down below....

Girls, could we talk to you right out of our hearts for a few minutes? It is awkward for us to talk about something of this nature, in person,
so we thought we would write our feelings.
We are young men who have been saved. We desperately want to live for Christ and not follow the ways of the
world. We feel in our hearts that we should live "holy" lives. After all, our
bodies are the temple, the sanctuary, the place where the "Holy" Spirit
lives and makes His home.
We know that guys and girls are affected differently, so since we desperately want to follow hard after God, could we kindly and respectfully ask you to help us with a few things? We realize that girls are primarily stimulated or turned on by "touch."
Did you know that guys are turned on by "sight?" So when you are "aroused" (sexually awakened) by a guy's "touch," we are in the same
way aroused by mere "sight." Let us explain. When we see girls who are dressed in a suggestive, revealing, provocative, teasing, tantalizing
manner, our sexual desires are aroused. Our bodies are then affected. To be absolutely candid, let us give you some examples of what we are
referring to. If you are wearing a blouse that barely meets the waist of your slacks and some of your skin shows while you are moving around, or simply while you are walking, sitting, or kneeling, our minds are
geared to wonder what more of your body would look like further up....This causes our bodies to respond biologically, and suddenly we
are fighting a war in our minds and bodies. And that war of lust is continuing often long, even hours, after you are gone. We hate this, because our "righteous man" wants to think pure thoughts....
When you wear low-cut tops which are in any degree revealing, or when you bend over, and they are revealing, this again causes us big problems in the flesh. The Spirit and the flesh begin to fight again. What we are trying to say is this: If it is not for sale, don't
advertise it. We really feel that the still small voice of the Holy Spirit speaks to you and nudges you when it is too tight, too short, too low, or too revealing. Will you listen to that voice? For the Scripture says, "Quench not the Spirit." (1 Thess. 5:19)
Girls, do you know what we would really like? We would like to come among our Christian sisters and not have to fight and struggle in the flesh. We do not need to have to wrestle in the flesh at church or at church activities. We men, whether young, old, single or married, are
faced with this every day among girls of the "world." But we would like to have rest in our Spirit man when we come among Christian girls.
After all, doesn't the Scripture tell us to "come out from among the world and be you separate, saith the Lord." (2 Cor. 6:17) It also tells
us that "all that is in the world, the lust of the eye, and the lust of the flesh, is not of the Father, but is of the world." (1 John 2:15) We are the church, not the world.
We know that people often use the verse, "Man looketh on the outward appearance, but God looketh on the heart," (1 Sam. 16:7) to condone
anything they wish to wear. This is one of the most misused/used out-of-context verses in the Bible. Conversely, the fact is, if your heart is pure, your outward appearance will be modest....
Girls can be fashionable and modest at the same time. To be honest, we respect you more when your appearance is modest, as the Scripture commands in 1 Timothy 2:9. We really do not want the kind of girl who dresses provocatively, for we know that if we marry her, she will still be that way in the presence of other men once we are married.
We know that we have Christian responsibilites toward girls, too. We must be careful to portray ourselves properly. We must treat you like ladies. If we are really committed Christian guys, we will strive to treat you like Jesus would. After all, you are daughters of God.
Thank you, dear Christian sisters, for hearing our hearts on this subject. Once we have conveyed the truth of the matter to you, you become responsible before God for what you do with the truth. We really are "our brother's keeper." (Genesis 4:9.) We know that there is a
"cult of conformity" in our generation, but we as Christians "march to the beat of a different drummer." Please, girls, do not say, "I don't care," but help us in these last days to live as close to Jesus as we
can. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Committed Christian Guys" "

2008/9/9 15:05
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Rivquah,

Thanks so much for sharing this: it is so timely! and I would guess most males who frequent this forum would say a hearty "AMEN!" I am no male but from discussions read here and elsewhere it is right on.

I have often wondered what one should do when a female visits your church wearing such immodest clothing - I am talking about low-cut necklines with ample cleavage showing. The last time a certain girl visited our church (she would visit occasionally because her grandparents attend there) wearing such skimpy clothing (she is a professing Christian) I got so upset and seriously wondered what can be done. She knows we ladies do not dress like this nor approve of it, so why on earth did she do it???? The idea flitted through my mind to go to the nursery and get a blanket and ask her to wrap it around her shoulders...she has not been there since and I do wonder if I would actually have the nerve to do it....

Anyhow, thanks for sharing Rivquah.

ginnyrose

2008/9/9 18:13Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Rivquah,

Anyhow, thanks for sharing Rivquah.

ginnyrose

Anytime Rosie, gin gins! :-? :-D I mean Sandra, right?

Rivqah, (Riv-kah)--Hebrew for Rebecca. ;-)

2008/9/11 16:53
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I mean Sandra, right?

Most people call me this. Some call me Mom, or Grandma and one person calls me Honey! :-)

ginnyrose

2008/9/11 18:47Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Dear Ginnyrose,

I hate to just jump in, I have been following this thread and remember this situation well in some of the churches we have been in.

Ginnyrose wrote:

Quote:
I have often wondered what one should do when a female visits your church wearing such immodest clothing - I am talking about low-cut necklines with ample cleavage showing. The last time a certain girl visited our church (she would visit occasionally because her grandparents attend there) wearing such skimpy clothing (she is a professing Christian) I got so upset and seriously wondered what can be done. She knows we ladies do not dress like this nor approve of it, so why on earth did she do it???? The idea flitted through my mind to go to the nursery and get a blanket and ask her to wrap it around her shoulders...she has not been there since and I do wonder if I would actually have the nerve to do it....

When we attended a denominational church that had many of these types of young girls my daughter sewed her own clothes, dresses, and wore a head covering.

Since I don't sew much, and have never worn a head covering I wondered where it came from.
She told me, "Mom, if I don't dress like this, I'll have to wear speghetti straps and a tight skirt".

Of course we stood with her. Once in the young people's Sunday School class the youth leaders wife asked the question to all that were there: "Who would you rather be approached and witnessed to by: this girl with the dress and a headcovering; or this girl with modern, skimpy clothes?"

Oddly, almost every single guy in the class said my daughter; and almost every single girl said the other girl wearing modern clothes.

Girls have a lot of competition, acceptance issues and pressures on every hand to conform to modern day "fashion".

My guess is, that if you had given her a blanket, she probably would have just gotten embarrassed but not changed her style of dress.
(How well do you know her grandparents? Could you gracefully approach them?)

Strangely, the same sunday school teacher who asked the question with my daughter in it, I had personally seen come up to the balcony and tell girls on the front to sit in a lady like fashion, as the ministers could see her underwear... on more than one occassion, and pretty much on every front row...

Yet, I can't help but wonder what older woman, one she would listen to, could approach her and let her know that God loves modesty?

That doesn't mean she has to wear a certain "style" of bibbed dress with 10 pleats in the front and back that reaches to her mid calf; but a modest style, one that is befitting a young woman representing godliness.

It is a quandry I have thought about often.

I pray that God would help all of us who are "older", have the grace, love and wisdom to teach these young women some discretion.

Blessings to you all!
Lori

2008/9/11 20:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Lori,

Very thoughtful post, Lori. It is so gratifying to know there are other ladies in other churches who share the same concerns.

You know it is very difficult for an older sister in the church to teach the young because they consider us white haired ladies to be old-fashioned and out-of-date with the times.

Quote:
My guess is, that if you had given her a blanket, she probably would have just gotten embarrassed but not changed her style of dress.

You right on this. I know it really would not work, but I am frustrated because people should not have to deal with lustful thoughts when you are in a worship service honoring God! It is as though the devil himself is sitting there working to divert your attention away from God.

Quote:
I had personally seen come up to the balcony and tell girls on the front to sit in a lady like fashion, as the ministers could see her underwear... on more than one occasion, and pretty much on every front row...

I have heard of churches erecting barriers in front of front rows to hide exposed flesh.

Quote:
I pray that God would help all of us who are "older", have the grace, love and wisdom to teach these young women some discretion

This is what we need to pray earnestly about because we are considered old-fashioned, out of touch by the younger set.

Lori, there seems to me to be a more fundamental issue at stake here, do you not think? Do you not think it is the one that deals with the holiness of God? People have little or no concept of it. Too many regard God as a heavenly- Santa-Claus-in-the-sky that gives gifts when we ask for them, or make the right kind of noises. They do not seem to understand that God expects his children to be Holy because he is Holy. When I was at CPC the LORD impressed upon me to emphasize His holiness to my clients. I did and can you guess the reaction? It seemed to have been a foreign concept to them. They had great difficulty understanding it.

And another issue: do people understand what the voice of the Spirit sounds like? I wonder. Sure they will likely hear a still small voice but will dismiss it as not being relevant. They can do as they jolly well please regardless who thinks what...after all the Bible does not specifically spell out a few things. As long as the devil can keep people thinking like this, they will just jolly well do as the flesh pleases. The LORD is concerned how we live our lives every day, including how we cloth our bodies. He convicts me and surely I am not the only one He does this to, am I?

My thoughts - kind of scattered...hope they make some sense.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/9/12 23:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy