SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : So, what's your favorite AC/DC song?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

So, what's your favorite AC/DC song?

So okay, this is a misleading title for a thread. I mistakenly made a comment today at work about AC/DC and Back in Black. Then, to my amazement a pastors wife said, "Ohhh that's my husbands favorite AC/DC song." Shocked as I was I said, "Your kidding?!" The short conversation ended after she said something about it corrupting their youngest daughter into loving 70s and 80s music.

YUCK!

Just looked up the lyrics....what a testimony to the world--drug use and oh he'll never die. Quite mistaken.

2006/11/10 14:25Profile

Re: So, what's your favorite AC/DC song?

Well... before I am too quick to judge people, it took me a long time to walk away from music that was wicked. Having said that tho, I dont think I could trust a pastor who isnt anymore discerning than what you just described.

It always rattled me when I meet believers who go on and on about their faith... and then as they are driving away they are cranking garbage on their car stereo. Where is the discernment?

We've been having an ongoing debate on a different thread about music, artistic expression and creativity. Music, to me, is not the issue. There is a spirit behind secular music, and it matters not if it is rock, country, bluegrass, etc. Hitler used classical music for evil.

Before people jump on the music bashing bandwagon... let me ask... what do you watch on TV? How about the movies you watch? Examine yourself.

Krispy

2006/11/10 15:11
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

Krispy,

Point well taken about judgement. I was gothic before my conversion. I knew the next day that this music was absolutely demonic and rid myself of it post haste. Unfortunately, I sold it to a used CD store :(

Agreed, there is a spirit behind all worldly music. The 80's trash I grew up with is just as bad for the soul than the punk rock I loved.

There's just something that makes you want to puke when a professing Christian talks about loving headbanger music. Or a multitue of other things.

I know that there is real immaturity, but what about "by their fruits you shall know them"? Also, what about 1 Cor. 5 that states we should judge those within the church? Just some thoughts.

No TV here it went with the music. Just as polluted and perverse.

2006/11/10 15:34Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
et me ask... what do you watch on TV? How about the movies you watch? Examine yourself.

Sadly true.

If you saw "Time Changers" you'll remember the scene where the time traveling pastor runs out of the movie into the lobby yelling "Turn off the movie! They are using God's name in vain!" The theater workers just looked at him like he was an alien. (Which he was of course.)

Then the time traveler went to the home of a modern Christian home and was equally shocked when he saw a young child watching a televsion program that showed physical affection between a couple. Again he couldn't believe what he was seeing and jumped in front of the screen causing the child to whine to mommy.

Recently, after almost a decade I got cable televsion hooked up into my studio. (It came cheap...to my wallet, not my soul...) Without a doubt the influence is detrimental to your spiritual health.It ain't about legalism, it's about common sense. Why pray "Lord deliver us from temptation" if we then turn around and open the door to it? The worst of it isn't the flesh and materialsm that is presented casually...the worst aspect is the spiritual absorption the medium has on the atmosphere is your household...the black hole it opens in your heart space to imagine living without God...there are many universes on television and almost all of them have no God in them.

This is just it's effect on me and I certainly wouldn't want to legislate this on ayone else. Yet it must be asked of the affuent Christian; when we feel spiritual darkness and conflict with our entertainments, why do we shrug this sensitivity off so easily? Grief over darkness is a blessing and grace from the Holy Spirit, but so often we are irritated by the gift.

Why do we sing "Open the eyes of my heart Lord" in our bible fellowships, and then afterwords rush off to catch the 9:00 R-rated movie? I'm not ranting like wer'e all hypocrites or something...just pointing out that we have been duped into thinking we are under grace when in spiritual reality, we are slaves to this stuff.

Blessings,

MC

2006/11/10 15:46Profile
Santana

Re: Shrek

There's a lot of songs I like that aren't necessarily Christian. But what about when it's Christian lyrics from a non-Christian?

I got saved around the time when the movie SHREK came out. There's a song in there I really really like called HALLELUJAH. But I don't know what Leonard Cohen (songwriter) is talking about. Maybe someone can shed some light on these lyrics:

I heard there was a secret chord
That david played and it pleased the lord
But you don't really care for music, do you
Well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing hallelujah

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah

Well your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the hallelujah

Baby i've been here before
I've seen this room and i've walked this floor
I used to live alone before i knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

Well there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do you
But remember when i moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah

Well, maybe there's a god above
But all i've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

2006/11/10 16:05Profile

Re:

Santana... I dont think that song is about anything. It's non-sensical.

Krispy

2006/11/10 16:29

Re:

Oooo... brother Compton... what a post. You are so right on. I'm guilty as charged. I think we all are, if we're honest.

If serious believers from a century ago could see us now they would not consider us Christians. Many true believers in other parts of the world who live under real persecution pray for US here ... think about that.

Krispy

2006/11/10 16:32
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Santana,

It is an interesting song, that one. I'm not entirely sure it is amiss from the point in which it was written, either.

In the first verse, we see a strong man admitting love. In the second, we see him fall by the "same" desire, and another strong man (referencing Sampson) who was enraptured by, cut to, and ultimately killed through submission to an improper authority (love.) Delilah did tie him up several times in hopes he would die, and finally (on the third effort, the previous two in which he killed men - the jarhead) he told her his secret.

After that, I kinda miss the beats, but modern culture flaunts love (especially the younger portion and our "hollywood rolemodels"). The writer here is expressing a break from that "norm: - an acknowledged disillusioned view of love.

Then he talks about intimacy and apparent synergy (lost), continued in a lamented form (fourth verse). Finally, he wraps up with an interesting concept - this misconstrued "love" has taught him how to fire with deadlier accuracy in a metaphorical reference to personal hurt, followed by the final lament on his view of love. It is ineffectual, a misnomer of height or importance.

Yeah, theologically not exactly something I'd go rubbing into a kid, but interestingly enough holding true with a generally held belief among a good portion of the Church that love is misconstrued on a massive scale, although it still draws almost solely on emotion and betrayal.

Not entirely nonsensical...

2006/11/10 19:18Profile
Santana

Re:

Thanks Ptywama. I do regret putting posting this under this thread. I hate to get off specific topics but now let me re-read and process what you wrote, lol.

2006/11/10 21:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy