SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Keith Green once wrote that since we will be held accountable for every word that comes out of our mouths (not something I am looking forward to), he could envision every Christian musician and singer having to stand before the throne and play and sing their songs before God.

I think we lose sight of the fact that there is a God, and we will one day stand before Him. Therefore, we do need to be careful what we say, what we sing, what we listen to....

Be careful little feet where you go... for the Father up above is looking down in love... etc

Simple children's song, but one we should all heed.

Krispy

2005/8/12 6:08

Re: acknowleging spiritual stirrings and whether they be of God

Quote:
Krispy: Like anything else... we have to look at the fruit, as well as the method.

philologos: sometimes we have to look at the root too?

Krispy: Point?

Not sure if this was in anyone's mind, but I'd just like to mention that there IS a difference between music unto the Lord, and music unto Satan, which can be discerned in the backbeat, the harmony (or lack of it) and the words. Some people are particularly vulnerable to the sound certain instruments make. This may seem random to someone who has no problem, but to that person, it's a [u]spiritual[/u] snare.

Because music is so 'of God' in principle, when it has been hijacked for sinful purposes, it can resonate at a level beyond words for those who have been subject to its powerful influence to harm them.

We need to be aware of this, and respect each other's weaknesses. Like some people have to avoid alcohol, others have to avoid drum, violin or clarinet (to name but 3).

Having lived in a part of Africa (as a child), where drums were played for 72 hours at a time every so often, I can assure you, they 'speak'.

Quote:
HopeinChrist: I can't say that a certain song or class of music is not of God because it does not personally stir my spirit.

dorcas: I wouldn't be too sure.

All I mean is, we have a spirit and God's Spirit and if my spirit is stirred by the Holy Spirit, I know it's of God. I'm willing to give up music that doesn't enable God to communicate health to my soul.

2005/8/12 11:46

Re:

Quote:
We need to be aware of this, and respect each other's weaknesses. Like some people have to avoid alcohol, others have to avoid drum, violin or clarinet (to name but 3).

I dont necessarily agree with everything you wrote, but I do agree with the part I'm quoting. In Paul's day a lot people were hung up on the issue of eating meat sacrificed to idols. I view music much the same way. If our music offends someone who does not have freedom in that area... we should avoid playing it around them. I dont mean offend like they dont like the style, I mean offend like it may cause them to relapse into their old self. Like some have the freedom to drink a beer now and then, but if their is someone around who has struggled with alcohol... the stronger brother should refrain from it around them. And if you cant refrain without feeling like a hypocrite then the stronger brother needs to consider not doing it all.

Just my thoughts.

Krispy

2005/8/12 14:44

Re: understanding music's spiritual connections

Quote:
I dont necessarily agree with everything you wrote,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you elaborate please?

2005/8/12 15:00
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Like some people have to avoid alcohol, others have to avoid drum, violin or clarinet (to name but 3).

Dorcas,

I'm not sure I agree that some people should avoid violins.

Now avoiding violas on the other hand is a very sensible precaution.

MC

2005/8/12 17:58Profile

Re: avoiding certain types of musical instrument

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree that some people should avoid violins.

Now avoiding violas on the other hand is a very sensible precaution.

Compton,

Yes, I've heard some people have a thing against violas, but not in Christian testimony. ;-)

Whereas there was a famous Presbyterian minister who had to avoid opera, he was so addicted to it. (Although no-one would call opera 'Christian music', would they?) On the other hand, a woman I knew had been ritually abused to hymns playing loudly all over the house, which had made her confused about what God is like - for decades. It is this sort of diabolical abuse of the power of music, to which I was referring more generally. And even violin music can be abused, sad to say.

2005/8/12 20:12
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Hot Worship!

Good Morning in Jesus Wonderful Name,

The following three passages of Scripture, I have found really set the standard for what music should be....singing and making melody in your heart unto the Lord..amen!

Quote:

'And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

[b]Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;[/b]

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;'

Ephesians 5:18-20

'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another [b]in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,[/b] singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.'

[Colossians 3:16]

'He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow [b]rivers of living water[/b].'

[John 7:38]

Has anyone read or studied with Ray Hughes. I loved what he said about singing the Psalms back to God, hallelujah. My favourites are not Psalms, but Isaiah 55:6,7 and Jude 24,25....

He mentioned that one of the pre-requisites for ministering in song. OT. One had to have memorized, the whole Old Testament, wow talking about letting the Word of Christ dwell in you richly...

In Jesus,
Aeryckk.
:-P

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.If heed is not paid to this, it is not true music but a diabolical bawling and twanging."

- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) :-P

Link to some hot worship: here

Link to some more worship: here

2005/8/12 20:49Profile
gzus

Re: What style of music is acceptable for a Christian?

Duhhh!!! Everybody knows it's Hip Hop Music right fam?! :-)

Hip-hop Music, by The Phanatik

1st verse
How do you like you Hip-hop music/ some like it holy/ some like it polluted/ some like a crew like The Movement in tune with the blueprint of Heaven consumed with Life/ Hip-hop on a higher level/ Hip-hop is not evil/ Hip-hop was not created by the Devil/ it’s just like every other music form your soul’s been searching for one since you’ve been born/ looking for something to express/ that rhythmic pattern bumpin in your chest/ and it just so happens that these cats rappin have tapped into a key of life/ and it strikes for so many people/ in so many regions/ rap is the way to reach’em/ nothing is equal/ [b]it’s as classic as classical/ and probably more spiritual than most of the spirituals that you know/[/b] that’s not just cuz I do it/ nope/ not just cuz it’s my music/ nope/ but that is how I use it so/ I just thought that you should know/ I love what it was and what it’s become musically but between you and me I hate what it’s done/ how it’s run and how the songs of every singer sound like sound tracks to match shows of Jerry Springer/ we live to it/ look at what we did to it/ or what it did to us this is not just music/ it’s not kid music/ these are grown men/ on the microphone who like to condone their own sin/ for us it’s holy ground/ Hip-hop is holy now/ long as I got the microphone I’ma hold it down/ but when I pass the mic back it’s back to you know what/ but we don’t recommend you listen I mean you know us

Chorus
It aint nothing like Hip-hop music/ it aint nothing like/ it aint nothing like/ it aint nothing like Hip-hop music/ [b]it’s not wrong or write it’s how you use it fam[/b]

Verse 2
Don’t let these radio programs through/ all they want to do is program you/ Hip-hop to the slow jams too/ trying to turn young cats into macks/ while keeping our shorties on there backs/ giving it up/ all in the name of living it up/ living large off of charge cards with limited bucks in your pocket/ riding with sin like a sidekick/ that don’t make sense/ check the logic/ today’s top topics are topless cars and chicks/ that’s easy/ but rhymes are hard to kick/ even if I’m not one of your favorite artists/ I’ll still set this joint a ablaze like a arsonist/ Hip-hop is ours and it’s a mirror of our hearts and this is harsh but listen our appearance is marred/ [b]if you don’t like what you see in the Hip-hop glass/ know the future is a present from the Hip-hop past/[/b] and if you don’t like the gift it’s giving than don’t rip the ribbon and tip your glass as if this is living/ demand more/ let them know you won’t stand for it/ we gonna have to change if there’s no fans for it/ this could be holy ground/ Hip-hop is holy now/ long as I got the microphone I’ma hold it down/ but when I pass the mic back it’s back to you know what/ but we don’t recommend you listen I mean you know us

Chorus

Verse 3
First you buy the CD/ then you buy into what they saying ain’t you tired of them lying to you/ it’s like false advertisement/ they show you guys with whips and chicks but have you ever tried it/ you never find love in a one night stand/ that’s like trying to use a flash light for sunlight tans but/ it’s not enough light/ you probably cried nuff nights with the pain inside bottled up tight but we/ come to release the pressure and weight of sin and pull you out like measuring tape/ you can/ move your body like a sneak if you wanna/ then turn around be hollering rape in the corner/ I’m not hating on ya/ I’m showing love the kind of love to get you aint gotta go to the club and young/ brothers you aint gotta grow to be thugs rolling on dubbs/ what I’m saying is totally bugged/ I know this because unless I say I’m holding a snub going to pop slugs at homie you don’t even budge but/ [b]It aint even gotta be like that/ I spit life on the mic Christ set me free like that/ but/ this is holy ground/ Hip-hop is holy now/ long as I got the microphone I’ma hold it down/[/b] but when I pass the mic back it’s back to you know what/ but we don’t recommend you listen I mean you know us

Phanatik - The Incredible Walk - Hip Hop Music

http://www.crossmovementrecords.com/

Peace and God Bless!

2005/8/12 21:18Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

We know David praised the Lord with the harp, cymbal, etc. It has been said to that a certain denomination will not let any instruments in their worship. Their position is that the early church did not have music and it was only used in the Old Testament times. If we think we should copy the early church in everything then maybe they are right.

Does anyone know of a New Testament verse that states the New Testament church used music instead of just singing hymns?

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/8/12 21:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you elaborate please?

I dont agree that different drumming rythyms are inherently evil. Can drums be used for evil? Sure, if thats the intent. But even Michael Card uses a syncopated back beat on most of his music...

Krispy

2005/8/12 22:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy