SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Interview With a Modern-Day, Sunday-Morning-Church-Going Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

Re: is this the key

You are welcome Todd!

Quote:
That I feel is the one thing that seperates the men from the boys, how willing is the apostle willing to be seen for who he is.

I couldn't agree more Zeke0. Could we say that reasonable transparency is a hallmark of authentic leadership, while opacity is a hallmark of false leadership?

MC

2005/8/4 23:59Profile
todd

California

Re: is this the key

ZekeO,

I think you're bringing up a relevant point. But I'm wondering how much it can be backed biblically. I also don't think I have a clear understanding of your question.

Are you saying that openness in personal relationships adds weight to someone's claim of apostolic authority? In that case I think I might agree with you, in a sense, but certainly this is not a major sign of an Apostle. But this clearly does seem important for any leadership.

But I think the thing that really carries weight in the realm of church authority is power. I just see it all over the New Testament. It really seems pretty simple to me. But I can see how the personal relations aspect would help give the person claiming authority more weight in an individuals eyes. That seems to be a very subjective assessment though.

I would say that the one thing that "separates the men from the boys", as you put it, is the raw power of God.

MC,

Quote:
Could we say that reasonable transparency is a hallmark of authentic leadership, while opacity is a hallmark of false leadership?

I don't know, but it's an interesting thought. But it seems very ambiguous to me. I mean, what is meant by "reasonable transparency?" Is this primarily a willingness to share weaknesses?

I also think we need to distinguish what type of leadership we are talking about here. Apostolic, prophetic, or pastoral? I would say that [i]the[/i] hallmark of authentic apostolic leadership is power. While [i]the[/i] hallmark of authentic prophetic leadership will be the accuracy and influence of the prophecies. But I think that the formula you suggest might apply especially to pastoral leadership.

That's kind of how I see it at this point.

2005/8/5 0:41Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Hey Todd,

really got me thinking, get back to you after work or at lunch. I have a few scriptures bouncing around my head at the momment.

Write later,

2005/8/5 1:48Profile
free

Re:

Im really puzzling over the turn of our conversation. I had always understood that, at least in the New Testament days, ONLY those who have seen the risen Lord (in flesh) can call themselves Apostles. They were first disciples and then later became apostles. Sorry I dont know the verse to back this, maybe someone out there can help to clarify this.

2005/8/5 3:32Profile

Re: Apostles and Prophets.

Have you ever played the "Telephone Game" in grade school ?

One person starts by whispering a short message in a person's ear and then that person whispers what the first person said to the next person, and from there, on it goes, and by time you get to the 20th person or so, the original message is nothing like what the first person had said. Ha ! It was a funny game.

Anyhow, that seems to be what folks have done to the definition of "Apostles" out there in church land.

An apostle, was nothing more than a male "Messenger", like what we call a Missionary or a Church Starter or Ambassador, now a days.

A Representive for Christ to bring His message to folks.

Here's some definitions and how & where it's used elsewheres.

G652 apostolos
From G649; a delegate; specifically an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ (“apostle”), - apostle, messenger, "he that is sent".

G652
apostolos
Thayer Definition:
1) a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders
1a) specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ
1b) in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers
1b1) of Barnabas
1b2) of Timothy and Silvanus and Epiphroditus Phil 2:25
Part of Speech: noun masculine

G652
apostolos

Total KJV Occurrences: 81

apostles, 53

Mat_10:2, Mar_6:30, Luk_6:13, Luk_9:10, Luk_11:49, Luk_17:5, Luk_22:14, Luk_24:10, Act_1:2, Act_1:26, Act_2:37, Act_2:43, Act_4:33, Act_4:36, Act_5:12, Act_5:18, Act_5:29, Act_5:34, Act_5:40, Act_6:6, Act_8:1, Act_8:14, Act_9:27, Act_11:1, Act_14:4, Act_14:14, Act_15:2, Act_15:4, Act_15:6, Act_15:22-23 (2), Act_16:4, Rom_16:7, 1Co_4:9, 1Co_9:5, 1Co_12:28-29 (2), 1Co_15:7, 1Co_15:9, 2Co_11:5, 2Co_11:13, 2Co_12:11, Gal_1:17, Eph_2:19-20 (2), Eph_3:5, Eph_4:11, 1Th_2:6, 2Pe_3:2, Jud_1:17, Rev_2:2, Rev_18:20, Rev_21:14

apostle, 19

Rom_1:1, Rom_11:13, 1Co_9:1-2 (3), 1Co_15:9, 2Co_1:1, 2Co_12:12, Col_1:1 (3), 1Ti_1:1, 1Ti_2:7, 2Ti_1:1, 2Ti_1:11, Heb_3:1 (2), 1Pe_1:1, 2Pe_1:1
apostles’, 5
Act_2:42, Act_4:35, Act_4:37, Act_5:2, Act_8:18
sent, 2
Joh_13:16 (2)

messenger, 1

Phi_2:25

messengers, 1

2Co_8:23

Prophets are just that. Eph 4:11 Just on the list with Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists & Apostles.

'Apostolic Authority' is something, that somebody just WANTS I guess, because these Scriptures don't point to any such thing.

The "Apostolic Authority" teaching started with the Catholic Teaching.

Guess some folks just need to feel "Special-er" than the most ... Ha !

Enjoying reading this discussion. Neat !

2005/8/5 4:35
Compton

Re:Character

Quote:
I mean, what is meant by "reasonable transparency?" Is this primarily a willingness to share weaknesses?

I suppose "accountability" is a better term. I threw "reasonable " in there to be, well reasonable about it. (I think a leader should be allowed to keep a few things private!)
Quote:
But I think the thing that really carries weight in the realm of church authority is power. I just see it all over the New Testament.

I realize the demonstration of power is an accepted test for authority, but I've seen power before in men who steal other mens' wives. A demonstration of power may or may not be a sign of true authority. I'm not trying to be glib or dark here, but it is my unsettling experience that some men can seem to preach sound doctine, prophecy with uncanny insight, lead men to salvation, heal sickness and other marvelous things...all at the same time being lifetime systematic liars to their very core. Don't ask me how these men rise in the ranks of church leadership, but they do.

Remember Judas presumably demonstrated power with the other Apostles. As one write called it...he was a dark riddle. (Forgive me for being such a wet blanket on this subject...I feel awful about discussing this frightful phenomenon.)

I've known some "dark riddles" that were so convincing as authentic men of God, that once their carousing in broad daylight was exposed, I fearfully examined my own salvation. "If they can deceive themselves and others so profoundly," I reasoned, "how can I trust my own heart?"

I think there is a better hallmark for authentic spiritual authority then power. This hallmark is character.

It is my strong conviction that only mature and abundant fruit of the Spirit can authenticate a true leader. This may be a hard truth because we are taught not to judge others...a fact that some may be quick to exploit. We are all accepted into the house of God by grace and mercy, but only men of the highest proven spiritual character and moral ethic should steward the house. After that criteria is met, some power would be great! :-)

MC

2005/8/5 5:29Profile
Manfred

Continental Europe

Re:

Hi everyone,

Just a very important question, echoing free's question:

Are there apostles today ?

Personally, I think that there are none.

Manfred

2005/8/5 6:04Profile

Re:

I believe there are no Apostles such as the originals... gifted as the originals, etc.

There is an apostolic ministry today in the sense that there are those who travel and plant churches, but they are not of the same variety as the Apostles.

For one thing, the Apostles mentioned in scripture all had one thing in common... they had all seen Jesus. Even Paul. He saw Him on the road to Demascus, and no doubt Paul had witnessed Jesus' earthly ministry... he just wasnt in favor of it at the time it was going on.

These are my convictions on it. I get nervous about someone who declares themselves to be Apostles. You see it increasing in Charismatic circles today: Apostle So and So. Putting themselves on par with the original Apostles. I understand the original Apostles were mere men, but I think everyone understands what I am saying.

Krispy

2005/8/5 6:13
ZekeO

Re:

Quote:

For one thing, the Apostles mentioned in scripture all had one thing in common... they had all seen Jesus...

That is at best an assumption based upon the silence of scripture or an ignorant untruth.
Quote:
These are my convictions on it. I get nervous...

Dude, I get nervous when a person of your personality has any conviction, and especially if it is a conviction that is based upon supposed truth.

2005/8/5 6:52Profile
ZekeO

Re:

Hi Manfred,

I am not in a position to call someone an apostle, but here are some scriptures about them that broadens the field a bit:

1) Jesus – “The Apostle”. Heb 3:1…fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.
He was “the” sent one. Jn 13:16; Jn 3:17

2) The twelve apostles.
a. The were also “sent ones”
b. They were “witnesses of Christ’s Resurrection”. Acts 1:22,26
c. The number was fixed. Rev 21:14, Matt 10:2; Jn 6:70,71
d. When Judas committed suicide, God led the other eleven to replace him. Acts 1:21-26
e. God accepted Matthias according to acts 2:14
f. Paul was never intended by God to be one of “The twelve”. He did not meet the necessary requirements to become on the twelve. He only became a Christian three years later. He distinguishes himself from the twelve in 1 Cor 15:5-8

3) Other Apostles in the New Testament.
The Father “sends” the Twelve- while here on earth
The Spirit “sends” others-now that Christ has returned to heaven, after His Ascension.
a. There are more apostles named in the New Testament than any other Ephesians 4 ministry: four prophets named, one evangelist, one teacher, no pastors!
b. There are nine other apostles mentioned by name:
i. Barnabas-Acts 14:14
ii. Paul-Acts 14:14
iii. Andronicus-Rom 16:7
iv. Junias-Rom 16:7
v. Silas (Silvanus)-1 Thess 1:1; 2:7
vi. Timothy-1 Thess 1:1; 2:7
vii. James, Jesus’ natural brother and not one of the Twelve-Gal 1:19
viii. Apollos-1 Cor 4:6, 9
ix. Epaphroditus-Phil 2:25

If the number was fixed at twelve, then there would not have been a possibility of others posing as apostles and deceiving the believers-Rev 2:2
This was some 50 years after Pentecost!
c. Also there are references to counterfeit or false apostles-2 Cor 11:13

4) There is far more said about the ministry of apostles that all other ministries combined

2005/8/5 7:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy