SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Interview With a Modern-Day, Sunday-Morning-Church-Going Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
The fruit I see in the New Testament, and not only in Acts, is spiritual growth. All of the the NT epistles centre on this, and therefore that is what we are seeking here; certainly not "signs and wonders" - but spiritual maturity in the Lord.

Yes, certainly that is fruit, and that's truly great. So is seeing people saved, acts of kindness to the poor, etc. But clearly that's only part of the kind of results they were getting in the New Testament Church. From what I can tell, they also had the consistant witness of the power of God that was with them as well.

Quote:
What do you mean by this? Charismatic type experiencial type things?

Todd, you dont hear much about house churches and their fruit because it operates outside the bounderies. We've seen a number of people saved, we're involved in prison ministries, ministry to retirement homes, etc etc... if that what you mean by fruit... it's happening.

If you're talking about barking and slain in the spirit Toronto type stuff... I'm sure that happens in some... but not in ours since we reject that type of thing for doctrinal reasons. (Please dont everyone get side tracked on that!)

Salvations are fruit, yes. Prison and retirement home ministry is great, but what kind of fruit are you seeing there? Demonstrations of the Spirit and power? Are people getting touched by God? Getting healed, delivered? Because all kinds of religions do good deeds, so that in and of itself I don't believe is demonstrating the Spirit or power, necessarily.

Barking I don't know about (in fact, I don't think anybody is too excited about that), but getting overwhelmed by God's presence (what some might refer to as "slain in the Spirit")- yes, I would consider that situation to possibly be a demonstration of the Spirit, though not necessarily of power. I think power would be more like miracles, healings, deliverance, etc. (which, of course, might happen if someone gets powerfully touched by God).

1 Corinthians 2:4
"And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power"

But really I am also talking about the results outside of the assembly, so to speak. I'm talking about seeing New Testament results and having a New Testament kind of witness. A New Testament kind of power and fruit.

Romans 15:18-19
"For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, [b]in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have [i]fully[/i] preached the gospel of Christ[/b]."

I'm talking about that.

Of course personal and corporate spiritual growth is great and legitimate fruit. But doesn't this growth include growing in power? Where's the demonstrations?

I'm sure that any religion can claim spiritual growth. What do we really mean by that? The fruits of the Spirit? Yes, that's wonderful. But what about the demonstrations of power?

1 Corinthians 4:20
"For the Kingdom of God does not consist in words, but in power."

Don't get me wrong, I think house churches are cool and I'm leaning more and more towards that direction, but let's not get arrogant in thinking we're more spiritual because we've chosen this model for "doing church."

I think I'd pick a traditional church that is seeing demonstrations of the Spirit and power over a house church that's not anytime. I'm more interested in the power (fruit/results) than the form. Aren't you? I'm just looking at the New Testament ideal here, as I see it.

2005/8/3 17:50Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I have been in a strictly home church that ended up being very controlling and cult like and hurt my family greatly. It was the leader of the home church. It was really a traditional church government meeting in homes...

Yep, that can be a problem too. But it occurs in any church... traditional or home church.

Yep.

Wherever sheep graze, wolves are sure to be near. What church model can be completely wolf repellent? My opinion is that these churches that are run by one top man, with the automatic support of weak "elders" is an unstable situation to be in.

Even if elders must answer to the pastor, they should be capable of spiritual exchangeability with the pastor.

At least that's my feeling on the matter.

MC

2005/8/3 21:51Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

Thats what defines a terrorist, not true "freedome fighters".

Again, it depends where you get your deffinitions from.
Quote:

Sorry... I found that distasteful, my brother.

Sorry Steve, it was a little jab, I see that it is a touchy subject, so I apologies. So in keeping with the teachings we have received here, I am asking for forgiveness?

2005/8/4 1:28Profile
free

Re:

What happens when a home church gets so big (there is a limit to the size of every home) that it cannot accomodate the people who are coming? Doesnt it turn into another regular church?

In a free-for-all setting, what usually happens is the vocal ones will do all the talking. Im not sure these are all spirit-filled (we can only hope). So we spend our time listening to them listening to their own voices. Where is the spiritual food coming from?

When Jesus fed the 5000 he did it by dividing them into groups and they were ministered by his disciples. Now, at that time, unbeknown to us yet, there was one among the twelve who was a "Judas". 11 out of 12 is all this fallen world allows us. So it is with churches these days.

I can only talk of my own experience with churches. In the last 10 years Ive lived in 5 different cities all over the world, Asia, America and Europe. In each city, before I chose my church I visit 5 or even more. So, you can see how many churches Ive visited. Some are like rock concerts. Some are like funeral services. No church is perfect, is right. If we are unhappy with a church, we have the freedom to move to another till we find one which fits our temperament. We must always factor that in, our temperament. God made us all different and it is maybe not such a bad thing that churches differ.

I dont think it is necessary to copy the early churches. Times have changed. In those days, they were not allowed to meet as freely as we are (or at least in most countries).

2005/8/4 4:30Profile

Re:

Zeke... forgiveness given, of course.

*** edited *** I responded to something that the admins removed... so I have removed my response.

Krispy

2005/8/4 8:26

Re: Bagdhad 2003

Quote:

Neilgin1 wrote:
War is sinful.

*[i]Edit:Picture removed.

Nilgin wrote: War is sinful
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever's reply:

We live in a fallen world, thanks to Adam & Eve. Jesus Christ came to this earth two thousand years ago to handle the sin problem. “Behold, the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world”.

With all of that being said, what did Jesus Christ have to say about anyone living on this earth until He comes again?

Matthew 24:4-14
“4. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8. All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”

What does Romans tell us about Governments and their right to wage war? Christ has already told us that war will be with us until He creates the New Heaven and the New Earth:

Romans 13

1. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: THE POWERS THAT BE ARE ORDAINED OF GOD.
2. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4. FOR HE (RULERS OF GOVERNMENT) IS THE MINISTER OF GOD TO THEE FOR GOOD. BUT IF THOU DO THAT WHICH IS EVIL, BE AFRAID; FOR HE BEARETH NOT THE SWORD IN VAIN: FOR HE IS THE MINISTER OF GOD, A REVENGER TO EXECUTE WRATH UPON HIM THAT DOETH EVIL.
5. WHEREFORE YE MUST NEEDS BE SUBJECT, NOT ONLY FOR WRATH, BUT ALSO FOR CONSCIENCE SAKE.
6. FOR FOR THIS CAUSE PAY YE TRIBUTE ALSO: FOR THEY ARE GOD'S MINISTERS, ATTENDING CONTINUALLY UPON THIS VERY THING.
7. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just as God used Nebuchadnezzar to punish Israel, he uses one nation to go against another. There will never be peace on this earth, other than in the millenium, when Christ rules with a rod of iron. Other than that it will not happen until He creates a New Heaven and a New Earth after the Millenium, after the Great White Throne Judgment

God bless,

Stever

2005/8/4 8:26

Re:

Quote:
What happens when a home church gets so big (there is a limit to the size of every home) that it cannot accomodate the people who are coming? Doesnt it turn into another regular church?

You split off into a new group. Many "traditional" churches do this as well with their small/cell groups. We've done this, and now we have a network of home churches which are under the oversight of a group of elders. A house church really shouldnt be much bigger than 20 - 25 adults. If there are a lot of children, then I would recommend 15 - 20 adults. It depends on the size of the house your meeting in... if your in double wide, obviously the group might need to be smaller.

Krispy

2005/8/4 8:32

Re:

*** edited *** I responded to something that the admins removed... so I have removed my response.

Thanx...
Krispy

2005/8/4 8:36

Re:

Quote:
I dont think it is necessary to copy the early churches. Times have changed. In those days, they were not allowed to meet as freely as we are (or at least in most countries).

This is only partly true... in Acts it tells us that the church had favor with ALL the people. In that instance they were not being persecuted, yet they met in homes... everyday. As well as the temple.

I dont think we can just dismiss the way they met. I'm not anti-traditional church. I just know from experience that the intimacy is lost now in most traditional churches. We meet for 90 minutes, look at the back of someone's head... chat for 5 minutes as we exit to the parking lot... and we call it fellowship. It's not.

Krispy

2005/8/4 8:39

Re:

Krispy said:

I dont think we can just dismiss the way they met. I'm not anti-traditional church. I just know from experience that the intimacy is lost now in most traditional churches. We meet for 90 minutes, look at the back of someone's head... chat for 5 minutes as we exit to the parking lot... and we call it fellowship. It's not.

Stever's response:

I agree. Also, how did Christ preach the Gospel and heal the sick? Did he go door to door? Did he build a multimillion dollar building and invite everyone in? No, He went about preaching wherever He went to whoever the Holy Spirit placed in His path. Did he heal everyone? No! Only those that He was led to by the Holy Spirit.

The early Church in Acts should indeed be our model. We do not need Pastors that have been trained in our Godless seminaries of today to lead us. We need Spirit Filled believers that are sold out to God that want to open their homes for this glorious purpose.

1 John 2 tells us that the Holy Spirit reveals all truth to the believer:

20.But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things......27.But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1 Timothy 3 gives us a model of the type of men that can take on this task:

1. This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a pastor, he desireth a good work.
2. A pastor then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3. Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4. One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5. (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6. Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
8. Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9. Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13. For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

God bless,

Stever

2005/8/4 9:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy