Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Deacons in the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Deacons in the Church

Can y'all help me out here and explain to me what the Biblical role of deacons is? I understand their qualifications--is that where I am to derive their role?

Also, how do deacons function in the house-church model? Is it distinctly different from the typical Baptist church?

My questions come from a conversation I had with a brother--I told him that I didn't think that deacons were supposed to make rules in the church. But to be honest, that theology has been developed in a box, because I have never really had a meaningful discussion about it with anyone. It's not really something we have Sunday school classes over.

Thanks!

2017/9/11 12:34Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Deacons in the Church

Weren't deacons first appointed in Acts to assist with serving at the tables so that the apostles would be free to minister in prayer and studying and preaching the Word.
So I would say they are in a ministry of helps, helping administer in practical ways, the finances and other means of the local church.

They are appointed as and when necessary so a small house church gathering may not require deacons at all?

They are appointed to serve, not to rule. If anyone should be ruling that would be the elders.

Blessings,

2017/9/11 13:21Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Deacons

Further to previous response:

"What are some duties that deacons might be responsible for today? They could be responsible for anything that’s not related to teaching and shepherding the church. Such duties might include:

Facilities: The deacons could be responsible for managing the church property. This would include making sure the place of worship is prepared for the worship service, cleaning up, or running the sound system.

Benevolence: Similar to what took place in Acts 6:1–6 with the daily distribution to the widows, the deacons may be involved in administrating funds or other assistance to the needy.

Finances: While the elders should probably oversee the financial business of the church (Acts 11:30), it may be best left to the deacons to handle the day-to-day matters. This would include collecting and counting the offering, keeping records, and so on.

Ushers: The deacons could be responsible for distributing bulletins, seating the congregation, or preparing the elements for communion.

Logistics: Deacons should be available to help in variety of ways so that the elders are able to concentrate on teaching and shepherding the church.

CONCLUSION

Whereas the Bible charges elders with the tasks of teaching and leading the church, deacons’ role is more service-oriented. That is, they are to care for the physical or temporal concerns of the church. By handling such matters, deacons free up the elders to focus on shepherding the spiritual needs of the congregation.

Yet even though deacons are not the congregation’s spiritual leaders, their character is of utmost importance, which is why deacons should be examined and held to the biblical qualifications laid down in 1 Timothy 3."

2017/9/11 13:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

St. Clement of Rome (about A.D. 95) clearly describes the institution of deacons along with that of bishops as being the work of the Apostles themselves (Ep. Clem., xlii).

it should be noted that ancient tradition limited the number of deacons at Rome to seven (Eusebius, Church History VI.43)

---

The witness of the Fathers of the Church certainly acknowledges the importance of the diaconal ministry in the early Church. Saint Ignatius of Antioch says that it would be impossible to have the Church without bishops, priests and deacons. He speaks of the deacon sharing in the ministry of Christ. The deacon is a minister of the Church of God. In the Patristic Age the deacon continued to assist the bishop in the administration of the community, performing the sacred rites, and providing charity.

from: https://www.athenaeum.edu/Diaconate/DiaconateHistory.aspx

---

It is clear from all traditions of the Church that the role of Deacon was a function that was given to those who had a godly life. They were important believers in early Church communities who served the Lord in this calling to "suffer" to serve others in the body.

Yes, deacons did serve in physical needs but they were qualified and served as those entrusted with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Ignatius of Antioch Epistle to the Philadelphians ch 7 [50-117 AD]
"I cried out while I was in your midst, I spoke with a loud voice, the voice of God: 'Give heed to the bishop and the presbytery and the deacons.' Some suspect me of saying this because I had previous knowledge of the division certain persons had caused; but he for whom I am in chains is my witness that I had no knowledge of this from any man. It was the Spirit who kept preaching these words, 'Do nothing without the bishop, keep your body as the temple of God, love unity, flee from divisions, be imitators of Jesus Christ, as he was imitator of the Father'" (Letter to the Philadelphians

Clement of Alexandria The Stromata Book VI ch 13 [150-215 AD]
"Even here in the Church the gradations of bishops, presbyters, and deacons happen to be imitations, in my opinion, of the angelic glory and of that arrangement which, the scriptures say, awaits those who have followed in the footsteps of the apostles and who have lived in complete righteousness according to the gospel"

2017/9/11 13:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In the baptist church I attend, what I would call an elder they call deacons.

And in other churches I have attended there were elders but no deacons.

But I agree that in scripture the elders seem to be involved in the more spiritual aspects of the body and deacons the practical aspects.

Yet both must be spirit filled and we see deacons preaching- Stephen and Philip.

2017/9/11 15:28Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Greg, were there 3 divisions in the early church? I had been taught that bishops and presbyters were the same office.

2017/9/11 17:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Greg, were there 3 divisions in the early church? I had been taught that bishops and presbyters were the same office.

Brother,

I used to carry the same thought but with all my readings of early Church history, it is clear that Bishops where the continuation of the Apostles (main 12), and they carried on this office in the Church. The presbyter being the local leader(s) in a Church and decons serving even more broadly the local area of the Church.

2017/9/11 18:14Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

How interesting! Definitely gonna read more about it! Btw, my pastor gave the go ahead the start constructing the curriculum for church history. Any suggestions on resources?

2017/9/11 18:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I would recommend possibly some of these volumes:

Eusebius: The Church History
https://www.christianbook.com/eusebius-the-church-history/eusebius/9780825433078/pd/433078?event=ESRCG

The Researchers Library of Ancient Texts - Volume II: The Apostolic Fathers Includes Clement of Rome, Mathetes, Polycarp, Ignatius, Barnabas, Papias, Justin Martyr, and Irenaeus
https://www.christianbook.com/researchers-volume-ii-apostolic-barnabas-irenaeus/thomas-horn/9780985604530/pd/604536?event=ESRCG

Those are 2 volumes that come to mind for thoughts on the first 300 years of the Church from the times of the Apostles.

2017/9/11 19:01Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

congregations vary as to the responsibilities of a Deacon. Some are little more than glorified ushers, others are full elders and decision makers voted into their office by the congregation.
What must be known and understood in Deaconship? A godly life, a boldness to declare the gospel, a humility that does not intrude upon higher callings, a willingness to serve in menial tasks according to man's judgment. A Deacon is called and ordained by God to serve the congregation with the preaching of the gospel, with the serving hand of the gospel and with the humility and joy that adorns the gospel.
Deacons that cannot declare the gospel are not deacons, deacons vying for power and position are not functioning as deacons; and deacons functioning like business executives are fundamentally erring in their example.

2017/9/12 2:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy