SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God's Command to Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

•••Right, what I said. He sacrificed Himself for our sins. That's human sacrifice.

Kind of silly to split hairs over terminology.•••

Brwthren this is not the splitting of hairs over terminology. But this is the root of the gospel I ask anybody in this forum what human has ever hung on the cross for your sins.

2 Cor. 5:21 says,

•••He made him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him•••

I ask anybody in this forum what human has ever been sinless other than the Lord Jesus Christ. He is considered the spotless Lamb of God who laid down His life for the sins of this world. To describe His sacrifice as a human sacrifice is I believe to distort the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The death of Jesus Christ on the cross was none other than the death of God Himself. That is God the Son to be the ultimate perfect sacrifice who would redeem us and pay for our sins. No human could ever do this. It was only the Son of God Himself, the spotless Lamb who paid for our sins. The person and work of Jesus Christ is not the work of a human. But it is the work of God himself.

My thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/1 16:47
docs

Re:

Which is probably exactly what drifter meant.

Christ was as fully human as He was God.

Heb 7:27 - "when He offered Himself."

Offer was what a priest did on behalf of the people. Therefore, Christ offered Himself and a man hung on the cross.

2017/7/1 17:09Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Of course I believe only Jesus could have sufficed as the perfect sacrifice for our sins. Of course I believe He is fully God. Of course I believe He is fully human.

Come on Blaine. I'm not a heretic. Put away the thumbscrews brother.

2017/7/1 17:34Profile
brothagary

Re:

Christ was definitely a human sacrifice, as a high priest offering him self, he had to suffer as a man and taste death as a man for every one ....

No not see that is to not see the gosple , to not understand the suffering involved nor hypostasise, , that Christ was also fully man , and things he accomplished wile on the earth , was his humanity , filled with out measure with the spirt as the seconed Adam ...........

2017/7/1 19:27Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: God's Command to Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac

TMK: My suggestion is that you begin searching out all scriptures dealing with God's covenant with Abraham, both New and Old Testament. Three from Hebrews have already been posted, and the poster is right about them. The point is not human sacrifice. There is so much more going on here.

God has always dealt with man through covenant. He made covenant with Abraham and promised Abraham that in his seed would all nations of the earth be blessed. Paul makes a very big distinction in Galatians that God said seed singular and not seeds plural, meaning a particular descendant of his son Isaac (in Isaac shall thy seed by called) was to bless all nations.

The writer of Hebrews shows us that Abraham accounted that God would raise his son from the dead, from which he had already received him in a figure.

If God is in covenant with Abraham, and if Abraham offers his only begotten son (Look that on up if you will. Abraham had two sons, but God calls Isaac his only begotten. Very interesting, but born out in Romans 7 by Paul.) If Abraham offers his only begotten, then God is allowed to (perhaps obligated to) offer His only begotten Son as well. It is part of covenant. This is why we, being born again believers, are no longer under the covenant of law, but are now under the same covenant as Abraham. A covenant of faith.

So I believe that Abraham was actually shown by God the end game of His sacrifice. He, in my opinion , showed Abraham the sacrifice of Christ. This is born out by Jesus words in John 8:56. Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and saw it, and was glad.

So Abraham goes boldly to offer his son, knowing that just like Jesus was going to be raised from the dead, his own son Isaac would have to be. Why, because God had already showed Abraham Jesus day in a figure. Amazing stuff, and sheds some really powerful light on the plan of salvation. Praise God that Abraham believed God and was obedient in offering his son.

My take. Blessings as you study this out.

2017/7/1 19:29Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

By the way, if we are born again, we have actually become, by an act of our death to self and new life in Him, human sacrifices. I beseech ye therefore brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present yourself a living sacrifice...

2017/7/1 19:31Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Sorry. It was Galatians 4, not Romans 7 that I rmeant to reference in the previous post.

2017/7/1 19:50Profile

Re:

Psalm 49:7

No man can by any means redeem his brother Or give to God a ransom for him--

Matthew 20:28

just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

•••••••

The psalmist declares above that no man can give his life as a ransom for another. No man can die for another man's sins. To suggest that the sacrifice of Jesus is merely a human sacrifice is to detract from the redemptive work of God himself. Only Jesus being the Son of God and without sin can be our true redeemer.

Peter writes in the first chapter of his letter,

••• knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.••• 1 Peter 1:18-19

Again no man can redeem us from our sins. Man is sonful and cortupt. But only the sinless Son of God can be our perfect substitute to stand in place for our sins. To relegate the sacrifice of Christ to a mere human sacrifice is to detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Without His perfect sacrifice we would still be in our sins.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/1 21:01
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Bro. Blaine: May I suggest that apart from incarnation there is no redemption. It is the very fact that the Son of God humbled Himself and became a man that qualifies Him to be the propitiation for our sins. Although He never gave up His identity as God, He became a man for the suffering of death. Since man gave it all away, only the sacrifice of man could restore it.

1 Cor. 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unot his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

Isaac served as the pattern for this sacrifice. Christ was the fulfillment of the pattern.

However, I think this is the point you are trying to make, and I agree if that is the case. As the incarnate Son of God, He was the only man who could ever be that sacrifice. No other man who ever did or who ever will live could have been that sacrifice. That is, I think, a point that we will all agree upon.

2017/7/1 21:21Profile

Re: God's Command to Abraham

There are different ways we can look at this.
We need to look at the wider picture, what God asked of Abraham and also the faith of Abraham.
Abraham knew that Isaac was the son that God promised him.
Therefore he also knew and trusted God that if Isaac would die on the altar it would only be temporarily and he would at some stage receive him again.
Heb 11:19 concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead

In other words, God promised this son, now if God would take Isaac again and Abraham would not receive him again at some stage then God would break His promise.
Abraham trusted God and knew that He would keep the promise that He made.

It is also interesting to note what Abraham said in Genesis 22v5 “Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you.” (NIV) He said WE (both of us ) will come back to you.

Hope it makes sense what I was trying to say

We all know the old Hymn: "Trust and obey..."

2017/7/1 21:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy