SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Church Leaders are to be Holy And Separate

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Church Leaders are to be Holy And Separate

In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. - 2 Timothy 2:20

We all have different vessels in our homes some for cooking, some for cleaning, some for storing precious materials. We all realize that some basins have less value and we even are willing to throw them out as they are spoiled for a lesser use. Paul is writing Timothy to consider how his calling as a Church leader is holy and important and requires him to seek to be a vessel for a higher purpose. We can settle in life to choose ways of sin, compromise and mediocrity in our Christian life. Timothy as a young Apostle was being encouraged to cleanse himself "godless chatter" (2 Timothy 2:16) but rather to seek to follow the Lord way in righteousness, faith, love and peace (2 Timothy 2:22). He was encouraged that if he is going to be used of the Lord as a leader in the Church he would need to separate from those who are divisive, arguing about words, and producing quarrels amongst believers. True servants in the body of Christ do not seek to argue and debate to control but rather to show love and patiently teach in kindness and love. Simply put if God has a call on your life to be a pastor or spiritual leader in his Church you cannot live as others around you. It is said that one who desires to be an Overseer desires a "noble task" (1 Timothy 3:1). The greek word used for noble here has the word picture of something very beautiful and crafted in a way that is reverenced and admired. Church leaders are to be godly men whose godliness we can follow (1 Corinthians 11:1).

Church leaders lead by example and do not force others to live godly as they do. One church leader gave these maxims as some practical guidelines to be a vessel set apart for a noble use. Thomas Hopko says, "Be always with Christ. Do acts of mercy in secret. Be polite with everyone. Spend some time in silence every day. Be faithful in little things. Be grateful in all things. Be simple, hidden, quiet and small. Say the Lord’s Prayer several times a day. Don’t complain, mumble, murmur or whine. Don’t defend or justify yourself. Be merciful with yourself and with others." To be called as a Christian leader is to be called to a godly life following the Lord. It is a life of separation from the common, mundane and defiling. The way of godliness is practical and Paul exhorts Timothy to "avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly" (2 Timothy 2:16). When we indulge our minds and tongues in criticism, fault finding, judging, complaining, slander, gossip we end up defiling our vessel becoming less useable for the Lord. Is God calling you to be a shepherd in his body? Start now to discipline yourself in areas of your life, in your tongue, mind, body, as a living sacrifice to God (Romans 12:1-2). True spiritual leaders are those who inwardly are judging themselves and constantly seeking communion with the Lord. Practically how are you separating yourself to the Lord for his work and use? Allow the Holy Spirit to burden your heart in an area that you need to discipline yourself (Romans 8:13) so a godly life can be manifest to others.

from: https://gregjgordon.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/church-leaders-are-to-be-holy-and-separate/

2015/6/4 2:26Profile

Re: Church Leaders are to be Holy And Separate

Good article, like always but this one is a little different.

I find it a little hypocritical that you wrote words of correction to others who posted links referencing their blogs, yet you've done that here.

Wouldn't that holier calling be to live out your own rules?

Namely, with that link, you broke 'guiding principles' #3 & #6.

2015/6/4 23:09
brothagary

Re:

You need to check your heart love meek hope ,,this is yet another thing you say that does not come from the spirit ,,most of the time we are do best not to post at all to be slow to speak and slow to wrath .

Brother you seem to major in pointing the finger ,,

Brother there is no need to costanltly make known our perception of others failings, we do better to look for our own flaws

2015/6/5 6:08Profile

Re:

If you think I'm being quick to speak, you don't understand where I'm coming from. There are many other occasions I could've but I chose this one.

In addition, Greg's blog posts ARE a blessing to me and others at SI. But just like other brothers/sisters blog posts could be a blessing.

All I am, and have been, pointing out is integrity. If you feel I'm 'finding fault' you misunderstand.

There is a fine line here. I feel that it's being crossed and has been routinely since others have been quick to be reproved. Since there is no recourse for those posters, I'll call it out here.

P.S. It's funny how others try to say I'm in the wrong when I confront others. The Holy Spirit brings light to a matter, not darkness. Sweeping things under the rug, no matter how small, isn't Christ's way. Greg can either choose restoration with the Body or he can assert his way/his site idea, which causes separation. It's simple as that. Neither of us like disunity, this is an area of that.

2015/6/5 10:27
brothagary

Re:

I feel I understand that you are calling out or rebuking Greg for a sin that you think he has comited.

That is the main reason why I felt I should defend Greg ,,

You seem too miss the reason why Greg doesn't allow others to post links to there blogs ,that being that the amount of work involved to constantly check other people's blogs that they are not propounding material that contradicts sermon index intent in its ministery,is much to hard to police sermon index does not want to indorse teachings wich it
deems false as does many other biblical ministerys , due to that issue the wisest thing to do is not allow links to others blogs, gregs blog is an extension of the ministry of sermon index so there is no double standard except in your own mind which seems to be offended at how Greg runs his ministry..

Iv seen it my self were a certaint Christian how was a very vocal member here for years had blog links on his posts regularly Who started to propound very unothadox and condemning views like a reasent poster ,

Greg knows that he will be held accountable for and false teachings or links to other sits and blogs that have false teachings available. And he must take the required steps and best efforts according to his abilitys to not promote or Incourage avenues in that direction, regardless that some of what is on those blogs ect are a blessing as you mentioned

I don't think God has set you up as the reproverof such ministerys as Greg has many other elder brother and other moderators to rebuke and reprove him . You prove that by those thread and other unesasary confrontations you have in a public show this forum .

Please think about ,and don't feel that you need to again defend your position.

I'm sure if I'm misrepresenting Greg that he will be kind enough to clarify.

God bless us all

2015/6/5 23:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

We are posting some devotions that I am writing and I have been taking some steps to get them out via a blog and other means on social media. The end goal is compiling some short ebooks on different subjects, some especially towards helpful topics for SermonIndex, etc.

LoveMeekHope, if you are not happy submitting to authority on a Christian website and respecting in anyway those who start the website, run it, help moderate it, then it is probably good that you would move on from the website. I have featured my writings at times on the website, and done so in a way that I felt was never abusing the platform but trying to be a shepherd for God's work here as much as I can with other brethren who help serve.

We have not officially released the blog and have been enjoying some of the feedback and comments that help me understand if the devotions are encouraging brethren and if it is palatable in its format, content topics etc.

2015/6/6 0:33Profile

Re:

You have no authority over me. Get over yourself.

You can ignore your fellow brethern or you can heed it, that's your choice. Others might tout your horn but...scripture says 'faithful are the wounds of a friend'.

You're article speaks of a holier calling. Wouldn't that entail living with the integrity of what you enforce? That's all I'm saying, is that the answer is YES.

I'm not fluffy nor is anyone truly above reproach. I was gently pointing out something to be err. If you think I was aggressive, I'd suggest you read some positive books because the issue is with your perception.

My tone is stern but full of hope that God can pull off proud scales from his eyes.

2015/6/6 1:13
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Because of the large membership of SI and the multiplicity of theologies existing on the internet it was necessary to introduce a rule forbidding the promotion of blogs by members of the SI community.

If blogs, sermon sites, etc were found to be edifying, naturally they will be promoted, and have been promoted on SI. This will continue to be so.

Greg has asked me in the past to refrain from promoting sites until he could verify their ministry. I was not offended and understood why he was doing it.

This restriction has proved to work out very well over the years. It has kept the forums on SI from becoming the Wild West so-to-speak when other forums had to be shut down and there are no plans to change this rule. Membership in the SI forums requires that you be in agreement with this rule.

SI is a ministry that God has given to Greg and it expands beyond sermonindex.net. If he makes a blog it's a part of the ministry of SI.

If you do not wish to abide by this, then perhaps you need to consider leaving.

2015/6/6 1:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
hulsey said, If blogs, sermon sites, etc were found to be edifying, naturally they will be promoted, and have been promoted on SI. This will continue to be so.

As my original post said, I'm basing my view on the guidelines. If what you said is true hulsey, I've rarely seen it. I've seen more of 'it's in the guidelines', no promotion, etc. And it's rarely due to bad doctrine.

If saints, have an opportunity to be naturally promoted, then I'd encourage some kind of guidelines for that because in practice and in truth there hasn't been a straight line on things. And to me, much of it looks very hypocritical. A lot of these things lose clarity since many users have deleted their accounts.

Thanks for adding some clarity hulsey.

2015/6/6 1:54

Re: Church Leaders are to be Holy And Separate

Greg, these are true words. Thank you for writing them so tersely.

I would change only one preposition in Thomas Hopko's advice "It is a life of separation from the common, mundane and defiling."
Our lives as believers must be a separation IN the common, mundane and defiling" because as Jesus says, we must be in the world but not of it. This is truly the overcoming of the world by Jesus. I for one, haven't got this down yet :-)

Appreciate your exhortations and keeping the site going in spite of probably weariness and futility. May God keep these precious sermons intact until everyone who needs to hear will hear.
In Christ,
Sister Leslie

2015/6/6 16:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy