SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Franklin Graham Calls on Pastors to Speak Out on Abortion, Homosexuality; Says 'God Hates Cowards'

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: The Graham legacy

Despite his international fame and the millions who heard his impassioned preaching, Billy Graham went to bed each night for many years carrying the grief of his son's rebellion. With just a few words in his crusade sermons, thousands would leave their seats and make the trek down to the altar to receive salvation from Jesus Christ.. while one embittered soul would not.

Franklin Graham.

How blessed and grateful the ancient evangelist is today, knowing that the one thing he sought so passionately is now a formidable force for the kingdom, and the gospel he loves.

But truth be told, Billy Graham's ministerial service never brought the nation to widespread Christian holiness. Of those millions who went forward, only a tiny percentage continued on in passion for Christ and His kingdom. Could it be because Billy's gospel message was much more "Come as you are" than "You are a criminal in the sight of God and totally unworthy of His favor?"

Not to discount the souls he did reach, and the great influence he had and has. But this word from Franklin cuts deeper, exposes the deadly curse, and will rile the forces of hell. I believe that millions of those who heard and responded to Billy's gospel were effectively shut down and made of no effect because they entered into a salvation word without ever responding to a repentance word. They are indistinguishable from the people of the world.

I just read in the "quotes" thread a note- Jesus was not crucified for preaching holiness, but for exposing the lies and hypocrisy of the leaders.

Homosexuality and Abortion are the Twins from Hell, the abomination that causes desolation. It is no wonder that those who dare to call them out- or challenge others to call them out will be subject to fierce criticism.

Let us carefully seek God before we criticize our brethren who boldly grasp the horns of this raging bull!

2014/5/24 13:31Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen Sidewalk. Spot on observations I believe.

2014/5/24 16:13Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Well I was encoraged by Franklin's call for courage to call sin, Sin.
Thank you to all those who posted in his defense.

Be careful when you judge a brother for speaking against sin in a nation. It is a biblical thing to do. There are plenty of examples.

A few years ago it was common for Christians to stand against immorality. Couples living together outside of marriage were reffered to as 'living in sin'. Nobody tried to accuse you of hate crime for this. But now the two big sins of homosexuality and abortion have become untouchable and no one is allowed to even suggest it is abnormal or sinful, let alone that it is an abomination against a Holy and righteous God who will judge all these things.

2014/5/24 17:24Profile

Re:

I wonder what the specific sins of the ancient nations of Rome and Israel and Greece and Turkey were? I know that the sin of idol worship, especially Diana, was one of the most prevalent of sins in many of the regions where the Gospel was being spread by Paul and others. Do we have evidence that Paul spoke out fearlessly against this specific worship which most were taken up with? ...........bro Frank

2014/5/24 17:59
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Heydave....Well I was encoraged by Franklin's call for courage to call sin, Sin.
Thank you to all those who posted in his defense.

You can bet if it were any other sin, this board would be exploding with ridicule. I really think the subject of Homosexuality will be part of what the word says will separate the wheat from the tares. Tares, especially in the early stages of growth, resemble wheat. Likewise, a false believer may resemble a true believer. In Matthew 7:22, Jesus warned that many profess faith but do not know Him. Thus, each person should examine his own relationship with Christ (2 Corinthians 13:5). First John is an excellent test of salvation.

A homosexual who truly repented will not go back to the gay lifestyle. He is a new creature in Christ, old things have passed away and all things become new, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

To be a Christian and gay at the same time is unbiblical.

2014/5/24 18:16Profile
brothagary

Re:

I stand with greg on this we need to define what sin is is in most of our witnessing ,,,,,,,,

you cant faithfull preach the gospel that includes repentence with out defining and naming sin in many cases ,,,thanks to liberal theology and a liberal world view growing ,,,and that is thanks to people watering down the gospel in the beginning so our society's conscious becomes desensitised

2014/5/24 18:37Profile

Re:

And are we sure that by speaking out against national sins we are not fighting the cultural war.

Brethren we are called to one war and one war alone. It is a spiritual war against the evil one that can only be won by the cross of Christ. This spiritual war can only be won by getting sinners to be transferred out of the Kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of light.

No where in the apostolic record do we find Paul speaking out against the national depravity of Rome. And Rome had plenty of depravity. He did call sinners to repent and turn from their sins and turn to God. He called sinners to have faith in Jesus Christ.

This is the crux of the argument. Are we as believers called to speak out against the national sins of the culture we live in? Or are we called to tell people to flee from their sins by repentance and turn to faith in Christ? I believe it is the latter.

One can go to an abortion clinic and hold up a sign that decries the evil of abortion. But if that mother who might be convinced to give her baby up for adoption and not be told of the danger of her immortal soul going to hell and how she can be saved through relationship with Jesus what has been gained?

An abortion doctor may be persuaded on some philosophical moral argument that he should not perform abortions. But if no one speaks to him about his need for Christ what have you gained.

The danger in crying out against national sins us you lose sight of the cross. Evangelicals who become so consumed with crying out against abortion and homosexuality are willing to link arms with the RCC and Mormons because they stand against these issues. Even Moslems stand against these issues.

Even in the last Presidential election there were those believers who were willing to vote for a cultist because he supposedly was against abortion and homosexuality.

Brethren we are not called to speak out against national sins of the culture we live in. Our call is to preach a redemptive message of the cross of Jesus Christ that can save men from their sins. This is our message and should be our only message. Our message is the cross of Jesus Christ.

Blaine Scogin

2014/5/24 19:39
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
I wonder what the specific sins of the ancient nations of Rome and Israel and Greece and Turkey were? I know that the sin of idol worship, especially Diana, was one of the most prevalent of sins in many of the regions where the Gospel was being spread by Paul and others. Do we have evidence that Paul spoke out fearlessly against this specific worship which most were taken up with? ...........bro Frank

Great question. I believe there is definitely clear biblical evidence for that. In Israel the most prevalent sin the prophets preached against was idolatry and all the perversions that came with that sin. Just a cursory look at the OT and the preaching of the prophets will show this clearly. In the NT we see a similar thing with the apostles preaching against the false idols of the Gentiles as they preached the gospel. Here are some NT scriptures that show that: Acts 14:15; 17:29-31; 19:25; Rom. 1:18-32; 1Thess. 1:9.

I watched this video recently where a believer was giving testimony of what happened when about 40 Christians stood outside an abortion clinic with signs that said, “Babies Are Murdered Here”. The testimony is that the abortion clinic closed two hours early due too so many pregnant women turning away from their scheduled abortions. They only performed about 6 abortions on a day when they would have normally performed anywhere from 60 to 100. Here’s the video. The testimony starts at about the 8:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-fmMpImFO0

I believe abortion has many similarities to the idol worship in ancient times when they would burn and sacrifice their babies to Molech. Today women sacrifice their babies to the god/s of fornication.

2014/5/24 19:42Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
No where in the apostolic record do we find Paul speaking out against the national depravity of Rome. And Rome had plenty of depravity. He did call sinners to repent and turn from their sins and turn to God. He called sinners to have faith in Jesus Christ.

Brother, I will post Romans 1:18-32 because I believe it was part of the gospel message Paul preached. It starts with the bad news of man's depravity. We will notice that Paul gets very specific concerning sins that were prevalent back then as they are today, including homosexuality:

"18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. 24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them."

2014/5/24 19:46Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I could imagine Paul preaching what he wrote in Romans 1:18-32 in the open air with his voice lifted as a trumpet.

"Cry aloud, spare not; Lift up your voice like a trumpet; Tell My people their transgression, And the house of Jacob their sins."-Isaiah 58:1

2014/5/24 20:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy