SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Software Developers Needed for SI!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Software Developers Needed for SI!

I have much vision for the online ministry of SermonIndex.net one thought for the last year has been to develop software for SermonIndex.net

I definetly need help for this and I am sure there are some people out there that would be willing to help for free to develop this software for SermonIndex.

I would want to have an Windows binary and also an OS X (mac) binary for the software.

The software I would want to be essentially an PEER TO PEER software that just works with SermonIndex.net possibly running off the technology of "bit-torrent"! The idea would be that there could be a 2nd download link in the Downloads section on SI which would just download not off the download server of SermonIndex.net but off other clients who have the sermon downloaded into the software. In this way it would take much of the burden off the main download server, and at the same time allow many peoples computers act as servers and host the content to people who download of SI!!

I think its an revolutionary idea and many people would participate and feel a part of the ministry to download and host a certain amount of the files.

Please either post a reply or contact me at: [email protected] if you have any feedback towards this idea, of if you could help with the development of this software in Mac of WINDOWS.

Thanks ;-)

2005/3/24 13:22Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: Software Developers Needed for SI!

I think this is a great idea Greg. I remember on a previous thread someone recomending this to you.

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
I definetly need help for this and I am sure there are some people out there that would be willing to help for free to develop this software for SermonIndex.

Sorry I do not have the know how to help in this way.
Quote:
In this way it would take much of the burden off the main download server, and at the same time allow many peoples computers act as servers and host the content to people who download of SI!!

I would love to help in this way.

2005/3/24 13:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I would love to help in this way.

keep in prayer about this dear brother, I know it will be a way to help spread the word of God tremedously through the technology of the Internet. I might have to pay some coders to do work for it also, so pray about giving towards this being devoloped also. These are exciting days!

2005/3/24 13:51Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Software Developers Needed for SI!

I'm not familiar with BitTorrent but a couple of practical concerns come to mind with peer-to-peer file sharing:

1) Security at the peer server level.

2) Upload bandwidth limitations of most broadband connections would make for slow downloads for clients vs. the existing server sitting on a nice fat pipe.

3) Peer servers would need to be always on/always connected to be effective, especially with the international crowd that frequents SI. I don't know about you guys but I shut down my systems when I'm away or asleep.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/3/24 15:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
1) Security at the peer server level.

I agree with this idea.. security is important and I would want to make a whitelist of sermons that are allowed.. (the naming convention of ie SID3435.mp3 would have to be the same and also the file size. This would prevent people from chaning the sermon, editing or replacing it with another recording.

Quote:
2) Upload bandwidth limitations of most broadband connections would make for slow downloads for clients vs. the existing server sitting on a nice fat pipe.

The way that the bit-torrent works is that if 5 people have the same file on the network it would download off all of them at once piece by piece so it might end up being faster then on the main SI server. The one server that SI runs off for the download has a bottle neck definetly when 10-20 download at once which is happening quite abit. I wouldn't mind having a more secure larger hosting situation so that people could download as much as they wanted at a good speed. But if God enables this software to work out it could really get the sermons onto SO MANY other machine across the world and therefore it would really be backed up many times over.

Quote:
3) Peer servers would need to be always on/always connected to be effective, especially with the international crowd that frequents SI. I don't know about you guys but I shut down my systems when I'm away or asleep.

Yes this is very true that people would have to keep the software on and going to make this effective, I am sure there are many that would do this.. I know some people that are interested in getting almost all the sermons on an Large hard drive and keeping it on ALL the time.. acting as a server. I know that if enough SI users do this it would really be a blessing and it would make people feel a vital part of this ministry. I won't take down the main download server I am just thinking if this software can work out then it would be a great alternative to help this site to keep expanding and handling the increased demand and traffic.

Ron these are great ideas and comments.. please pray that this can work out and I would love to hear your further thoughts.

2005/3/24 18:22Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
The way that the bit-torrent works is that if 5 people have the same file on the network it would download off all of them at once piece by piece so it might end up being faster then on the main SI server.

That is very interesting, I didn't know there was technology avaliable to do that. That would be a very good use of combined bandwidth, would like to see it in action.

My programming experience is very limited, this would be beyond me but I will ask around at church.

Also, Rick Meyers, the author of E-sword, comes to mind. Perhaps he might be interested or might know someone who could help?

In Christ,

Ron

2005/3/24 21:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Also, Rick Meyers, the author of E-sword, comes to mind. Perhaps he might be interested or might know someone who could help?

If you could take some intiative and email around to people as you feel led. It would be awesome to see some people who are skilled in this area serve the body of Christ! I do think it would be an awesome free tool to spread the gospel :-)

2005/3/25 12:05Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
If you could take some intiative and email around to people as you feel led. It would be awesome to see some people who are skilled in this area serve the body of Christ! I do think it would be an awesome free tool to spread the gospel

I have contacted Rick Meyers via e-mail concerning this matter, maybe he will be interested or may know someone who is.

For any of you who are not aware of who Rick is, he wrote one of the finest computer applications for Bible study that is avaliable and offers it free of charge to all. I was so pleased with it that I sent him some cash out of gratitude. You can check it out at [url=http://www.e-sword.net/index.html]E-Sword Home[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/3/25 13:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have contacted Rick Meyers via e-mail concerning this matter, maybe he will be interested or may know someone who is.

Thanks brother! I am sure there are others on SI that visit daily, weekly, etc that have this expertise and could help in this regard. Please contact me at: [email protected] or post a reply in this forum. Also if you have any knoweldge of these type of technologies of peer to peer sharing and have ideas please contribute them in this forum. One thing everyone can do is pray that this would work out and God would open or close doors on this.

2005/3/27 16:07Profile
alanrepent

Re:

i'm kind of in a hurry right now so i haven't looked into this much but check this stuff out.. i think it's java based.. didn't read much.. might only work across LAN... [url=http://www.jxta.org/]http://www.jxta.org/[/url]

2005/3/27 19:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy