SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Letter to a Seminary Professor - Believe Genesis

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Renoncer

Re:

TMK,

The question you are asking is misleading.

If I answer that no evidence would convince me, you will accuse me of being a blind ignorant.
If I answer that some evidence might convince me, I am undermining the foundation on which I stand.

A fair question would be: "Do you think it is possible for evidence to prove that the earth is not as young as the Bible makes it out to be? (when taken at face value, of course)" Then, the answer would be: NO!

Do you realize the danger of not taking the Bible at face value? It is a slippery slope into unbelief.

1) You start questioning more and more passages
2) You start adopting preposterous views such as a LOCAL FLOOD that somehow surpassed the heights of Mount Ararat (16,854 feet high!)
3) You adopt a skeptical approach to God's Word, instead of adopting a submissive approach to God's Word
4) You start suppressing the plain truths of Scripture based on your own feelings

I have noticed a dangerous pattern: Those who refuse to take Genesis at face value tend to eventually reject a whole host of other critical doctrines, such as the eternal destination of human beings (namely, eternal life or eternal torment), the historical accuracy of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the supernatural works of God in history, the exclusivist truth claims of the Gospel, and so much more.

I'm not saying that everyone goes down that path, but it is a common thing, and a pattern that I have observed. It usually comes as a package deal, you can't reject one thing only...

Please reconsider your heart's attitude towards God's Word, especially passages that challenge your beliefs. Please reconsider your presuppositions.

In Christ,
Renoncer

2013/7/31 15:06Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

There is no evidence that can convince me of something other than the following point (which you totally missed):

It doesn't matter. Scientific evidence or no, I take the Bible at face value unless the Bible tells me not to.

But more than that, we follow Christ. That's ALL that matters. TMK, stop and think about that. NOTHING else matters apart from Jesus Christ. ALL doctrine and ALL truth and ALL things that are worth knowing are wrapped up in Him! So spend your time studying Him. Spend your time knowing Him. Spend your life wrapped up in Jesus Christ and throw everything else to the wind. It's all dross. It's all vanity. It's all worthless and rubbish apart from knowing Christ.

This is my goal: to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering, being conformed to His death. Period. That's it. Everything else is garbage.

If you really understand what I am saying, it is going to radically change your life and the way you think.

2013/7/31 15:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Renoncer wrote:

"A fair question would be: "Do you think it is possible for evidence to prove that the earth is not as young as the Bible makes it out to be?" Then, the answer would be: NO!"

Fair enough. I was not trying to trick you with my question.

Hi Havok- I agree with everything you are saying and that is my (and should be everyone's) goal- i.e. to follow Christ wholeheartedly and without reservation.

But this is a discussion forum and I find this topic interesting to discuss- to a point.

If you think I spend my time "studying" the age of the earth theories, I certainly do not. It is a passing interest. And again, I have already said that I am not a proponent of a billions of years old universe; what I said is that I am open to the idea. But I don't spend my spare time studying it or debating it. I don't care about it that much, and as you stated there are far more important and vital things to be doing.

2013/7/31 15:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy