SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Freedom from Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
AsliEren

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I grew up as a Christian wandering between the impossible and the unacceptable

I did too. I am believing and have been believing as of late that we must believe completely in the impossible scriptures as possible and nothing less then that. That is the only way I've managed to see a genuine change in my life. It makes me get to the heart of the issue (my sin) and put my faith in Him completely. Scripture in the past year has moved completely out of the realm of my knowledge and have been seen as things to believe in completely. It's a completely different experience as my Spirit actually is getting fed now.

2005/5/26 13:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
It would be nice to hear your complete thinking on this matter...from a to z.

Well I started this once but got sidetracked. At present I had done about a-f I should think but there will be enough here to show my direction...try to 'assemble this'... [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=1664&forum=42&post_id=&refresh=Go]Christian Perfection[/url]... or 'dis-assemble' as the case may be...

2005/5/26 13:49Profile

Re: This is really moving.....

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit".

Wow, such great input and sharing. How blessed it is to see that we have all been struggling and God is slowly but surely putting pieces together for us so that we can see just a bit more as we travel down this narrow way together. Praise the Lord for each of you.

Perhaps we should look at what the word "sanctify" means. It means "to render". Now all we need do is clarify what "to render" means, and we've got it, right? 8-)

God renders or declares us set apart, holy, pure, and righteous through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. From the moment we are born again, I believe this to be so. Otherwise, how could we come boldly to the throne of grace, even as a new christian? We have not our own holiness, righteousness, purity and sanctity. We have what is imputed to us by the finished work of Jesus Christ. God renders or declares, and therefore we are.
Every thing we do in our physically awakened state is tainted by flesh. It is very difficult to walk free of selfishness in whatever form. As someone has already said, it is only by the power of the Holy Spirit working in us that we are able to walk in obedience at all. God will let us flounder in our own recipe or formula for holiness and sanctification. To be successful, God has to place in us both the will and the desire to do His good pleasure. We know from what Paul wrote to the Phillipians that this is exactly what God does. Anyone who has had any success in this area, knows that this is so. Our struggles leave us worn out. our faith leaves us rested. Rested from what? The works of our religious flesh to try and bring about holiness and sanctification, thus finding favor with God. It just does not work. We either get it by faith, or we don't get it.

Grace, as unmerited as it is must have the cooperation of the one it is bestowed upon. We cooperate with and are obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit, the fountain of grace, obeying His voice and not the letter of the law. For the letter brings forth death, following after the flesh, while the Spirit brings for life, following after the Spirit. Does that make sense? Maybe someone can say it better than I can. Sigh.
The bible says without faith, it is impossible to please God. Anything that is not of faith, is sin. So here again, we must lean on God with our whole hearts and not trust in our own understanding. God said I am sanctified, therefore I am.
Then.................we began to look at the process of maturing and we began to allow God to move through us to bring forth death to the deeds of the flesh and conformity to the will of the Spirit. Not everyone who says Lord Lord will enter in, but he/she that doeth the will of the Father. Do we ever achieve perfection? I do not believe this to be so, other wise God's grace is not any longer sufficient. If we could have our flesh perfected, we would not need grace. Thank God grace is sufficient. License to sin? Nope. But it does cover all the warts, by faith. If any part is not covered, nothing is covered. It's all covered and all finished.
But as we go through this maturity process of subduing and putting our flesh to death by faith in the cross, we become more and more Christlike. If we think we can walk double minded, spiritual one day and carnal the next, we need not think we will receive anything from God.
I'm currently reading a book by Andrew Murray on the Blood of Jesus. It is totally awesome and really addresses all of this.
I've got to be going, but I am really looking forward to reading more about what you all have to say. God bless you and keep you.

2005/5/26 21:02
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps we should look at what the word "sanctify" means. It means "to render".

I have never heard this before and can't quite square it with the origins or definitions of the word. Where did you get it from?

2005/5/27 2:23Profile
Compton

Re: thanks...

Quote:
At present I had done about a-f I should think but there will be enough here to show my direction...

Thanks Ron...I was wondering if you already had something in the works on this subject.

MC

2005/5/27 4:48Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
There are no formula's only the Spirit...You cannot seperate the whats, whens, or hows. That is an endeavor of men. Look for the new song that God promises to those who are His.

Nicely put and I certainly think worth noting. I like the music analogy...we cannot understand music by trying to formally percieve it through it's parts and interrelations of parts. Yet that is precisely how most music teachers teach music...not to replace or subsitute the experience but to establish a common language that will allow those with experience to guide the novice.

I apologize because I probably pushed my "assemble" metaphor too far. Bonhoffer once said that "Each man makes a fool of himself the best way he knows how." The best way I know how is to come up with smart sounding metaphors that only confuse the matter.

I only want to say that I am not looking so much for a formula of sanctification (insert tab a into slot b ect.) as much as a description of it. (I apologize if I gave the impression otherwise.)

To expect a right description of so important a matter as sanctification is only reasonable. It is true that men seek to analyse truth in their heads without knowing truth in their hearts... Yet right understanding can also be an endeavor of the Spirit... "Thou hast the words of eternal life." Head knowledge can't subsitute for actually listening to the music, but a little music theory may help me with music recognition and appreciation:-) (Afterall, there are many songs titled "sanctification"... are they all copyrighted by the Spirit?)

As for listening...I hear that I need more instruction... ;-)

I believe the Spirit can breathe on me through the words of His teachers.

Thanks Jeff,

MC

2005/5/27 5:22Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I hear you Brothers Mike and Lahry,

I hear that what you speak of is the finished work of Christ. And I say Yes to all that you say in terms of the fact that Christ's blood is sufficient. Paul tells the Corinthians that they have been given everything in Christ. All knowledge all wisdom, all gifts come from Christ and were received by the Corinthians. This is the fact that I see Brother Lahry expressing in his thoughts that he has shared. Brother Ron also expresses this same precept. And it is the truth according to Scripture.

Yet, having been given all things pretaining to Christ, Paul declares that they do not know the things of the Spirit. This is where I am focusing on. I am trying to progress from the definition of what salvation means to those who have been given the free gift of Christ just like the Corinthians have been given. The Scriptures declare that all things are available to those who have entered into a relationship with Christ through the Holy Spirit.

My question, the believers have the Holy Spirit, and yet do not understand the things of the Spirit. They continue to follow the carnal mind. This is their problem. Paul points this out to them. This is the point where Paul begins to explain the Corinthians failures. This is also the point of our discussion concerning sanctification.

Sanctification by the Spirit, the Corinthians didn't know.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/27 11:16Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
My question, the believers have the Holy Spirit, and yet do not understand the things of the Spirit. They continue to follow the carnal mind. This is their problem. Paul points this out to them. This is the point where Paul begins to explain the Corinthians failures. This is also the point of our discussion concerning sanctification.

Brother Jeff,

You said that in a way that I can understand your meaning. Thanks much.

Within your admonition to not test these things with the carnal mind, I hear the confidence you have in the Spirit's ministry and witness to us. It is very encouraging!

I also believe that we can test things with a spiritual mind. I hope that doesn't sound like double talk...I don't think that knowing a definition of a thing is the same as knowing the thing...yet there are teachers, like yourself, who have the ability to provide healthy benchmarks to test what is in our hearts. Submit one to another...examine yourselves...

Thanks again for the warning. I believe it is wisdom and I appreciate your sensitivity in this area.

MC

2005/5/27 15:29Profile

Re:

Thayers Lexicon

Sanctify - (hagiazo) I don't write greek, but this is the definition for the word used in the NT as "sanctify" Stongs #37

Render or declare sacred or holy, consecrate.

Other biblical uses:

1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow

2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God

a) consecrate things to God

b) dedicate people to God

3) to purify

a) to cleanse externally

b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin

c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

2005/5/27 20:38
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Mike,

I am sorry for maybe the sense of how I have communicated my thoughts with too much passion and not enough clarity. I will endeavor to ask this question in a different sense.

Again as I have stated before, Paul decerned first, that the Corinthians were not a spiritual people. Secondly, Paul identified that because the Corinthians remain following their carnal minds they are suffering from the state in which they choose to remain. Sin is still manifesting itself in them. Do you see this correlation?

This illustration given to us by Paul about the problems of the Corinthians demonstrates what Paul teaches in Romans 8:

5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

So Paul identifies the two paths a believer may follow. Paul also discerns that the Galatians stumble in the same way.

Gal. 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Paul is trying to teach these believers about the nature of our relationship with the Lord. I believe that there are many today who live under the same situation that Paul identifies in the Corinthians and the Galatians.

Sister Diane (roadsign) speaks of living as a believer who lived according to the flesh. Only through the work of God did she come to understand the things of the Spirit.

There are many thoughts to consider here. As this thread points to the promises that God would make sufficient provisions for His people to overcome sin. This promise cannot be diluted with the doctrines of today. What do we not see that Scripture points to? Do we really want to go deeper into this discussion or do we remain, regurgitating the thoughts of theologians.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/28 9:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy