SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : It is a choice.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Sree

I believe that is what Mary was doing as she was listening to the Lord seated at his feet. Letting his word go through her. Probably engaged with him. Maybe even asking him questions. Or just listening to him.

I have found it to ve a rich blessing to listen to an audio New Testament. Just sitting quietly. Letting tbe word if God gk through ne.

Thank you for your insights. Very rich.

Bearnaster.

2012/11/1 15:13

Re: It is a choice.

Martha represented the Old Testament of Works. (Acceptable)

Mary represented the New Testament of Rest. (Better)

2012/11/1 16:43
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Martha represented the Old Testament of Works. (Acceptable)

Mary represented the New Testament of Rest. (Better)

I don't agree with this. Martha was not working her Salvation by keeping Law here. She was serving Jesus here out of love not for earning her Salvation. The example of Martha and Mary is best applicable to Christians who want to Serve Jesus. It cannot be applied to Salvation. Martha represents those who do not wait on the Lord for a Ministry, in Today's Christiandom we see many Churches just randomly choosing people in large numbers for missionary work, but how may of them are first Disciple of Jesus? How many of them are confident that they are called for the ministry they are sent for?

Mary on the other hand choose to wait on Jesus to tell her what to do. If Jesus asks for Water I am sure Mary will be the first person to get it for him and not Martha, because Mary is close to Jesus and hearing every word.

Jesus said that the water that he gives to his disciples will Spring up into rivers of living water. This is how ministry should be. First I have life in me by following Jesus and then this life will flow from me to bless others. Apostle Paul was like that and that is why he was able to say to the Churches, 'Follow me as I follow Christ'. But today many Christian workers have such a shameful testimony . How can they be a blessing in their ministry to others?

2012/11/1 17:00Profile

Re:

Perhaps both are true. I do nit believe Martha was working for her salvation. But we see that perhaps she thought her works would be acceptable to God. So Approved has a good insight in that Martha does represent works in terms of serving God. Yet Mary does represent rest in that one needs simply to sit and listen to him. And Sree's insight is valid that when one listens to Jesus, service and ministry flow out of that.

So brothers I value from both of your insights.

Bearnaster.

2012/11/1 17:25

Re:

Quote:
Martha was not working her Salvation by keeping Law here.

***Sigh***

This is my cue for another Sabbath away from SI.

Peace

2012/11/1 22:04

Re: Aporovec

Brother will be sorry to see you leave but understand tbe need for a Sabbath rest. Particularly from the forum. It seems a few good people are leaving the forum for whatever reason. I am sorry to see them go. It seems there contributions will be missed.

Just know. I always appreciated your post.

Blaine aka Bearnaster.

2012/11/1 22:40

Re: Only One Thing Is Needed 11/2/12

Again to marvel the simplicity of what Jesus says is needed should stun us. We in our fleshly ways complicate the walk of Christ to a degree Jesus never intended. We are as Martha becoming distracted by how we think we should serve Jesus. We lose close proximity to him by focussing on tbe fruit rather remaining and resting in him. So hat his life may flow through us.

Jesus tells Martha, only one thing is needed. What was Mary doing? Sitting and listening to Jesus. Hello!!!! Only one thing is needed. Listening to what Jesys is saying. That is being in your New Testament. Reading and listening in the Spirit. Or listening to his words in an audio New Testament. Inky one thing us needed. Listening to what he is saying in humility. Sitting at his feet jn an attitude of humility in your heart. Only one thing is needed. To be in tbe heart of Jesus as expressed in the words of tbe New Testament.

Jesus echoes his heart desire in Mathew when he says to come to him all who are weary and burdened. He will give them rest. Take his yoke. His yoke and burden are easy and light. For they are rest. He says another thing. Learn from me. He buds ys as Mary to learn from him. Listen to him. Be in his words. Met tbe words if Jesus film our hearts and mind. Read them. Meditate on them. Reflect upon them.

He says. Only one thing us needed. That is to be as Mary, to sit at his feet listening to what he is saying to our hearts.

Lord Jesus. Please give ys the heart of a,Mary to listen to you.

Bearmaster.

2012/11/2 8:37
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings bear :)

I have been following through your thread just this past two days and God has been putting much on my heart. I agree there is so much benefit in being like Mary and sitting and listening to the Lord but just recently God is showing me there is a time for action too. A time to get up and get going! I have seen in my own walk that Jesus wants us to listen but HE also expects us to take up our cross and get moving! (know what I mean) I see now there is so much benefit in both being like Mary, but a willingness to be as Martha. Mary chose better because in that time while Jesus was with them she chose to spend with HIM. But now Jesus is with us always and HE has given us a commission, a task and that is where I am learning to... Wait upon the LORD and then obey HIS commends daily. When HE says move, I need to move, when HE says serve I need to be a servant, when HE says sit and listen, I need to be still! JESUS is LORD that means HE calls the shots and gets to make all the decisions in my life, not me and what a relief that is cause I know I will just blow it every time:)

Lovely thread brother. Thank you all for sharing

God bless
maryjane

2012/11/2 8:52Profile

Re: 11/3/12. Only One Thing Is Needed

So many voices of distraction are telling us how to walk with Christ. Yet in his marvelous simplicity. Jesus tells Martha. Only one thing is needed. And the example of Mary is put before us. What was Mary doing? Sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to what he was saying. This presupposes Mary was in direct contact with Jesus listening to his words.

Indeed Jesus tells us that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. The One who articulated these words also said. It is the Spirit who gives life. The flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken are spirit and they are life. Peter reaffirmed this when he told Jesus. Lord you have tbe words of eternal life. To whom shall we go? Indeed to whom shall we go. Yet we run to our systematic theologies, our expositions, commentaries, sermons, etc. What ever happened to picking up the New Testament or an audio New Testament and listening to tbe pure word if Gof itself.

Peter writes to his readers to crave the pure spiritual milk, the pure word of God not diluted by nan. Yet I fear we crave the writings of men over the words of Jesus.

Yet Mary had no commentary, all she had was Jesus. Just listening to his word. I find this equally true among the persecuted. They lack the commentaries and praise God are not contaminated by man's theology. If they are blessed by a Bible or New Testament. They devour it. Reading it constantly. For sure they will relish the word of God. Only one thing is needed. The words of Jesus. Just listening to them.

Again I read when people in restricted nations get a Bible. Tears will come to their eyes. They will hug and kiss that Bible. They will treasure it as pure gold. I wonder, rather humorously, would one do that to a commentary.

Again only one thing is needed. Simply Jesus and his word. One need not a reference library. Bunyon never had such a library, only his Bible Yet the word God flowed out of him. The Anabaptist never had libraries, only their Bible. Yet the word of God flowed out of them. The persecuted don't have a library. If they are blessed with a Bibke or New Testament. The word of God flows out if them.

Again, only one thing is needed. Simply Jesys and his word. Simply a New Testament. Dear God, may I be as Mary listening to Jesus.

Bearmaster.

2012/11/3 7:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy