Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Secret Sin in the Secret Place

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Thank you

Thanks for the encouragement Am_Lovin_Him. I believe that there is victory over sin through Jesus and it's a real victory. In other words, the power of the sin is broken. I believe that Jesus has broken it and it's something I've battled with God for 2 years over. I didn't want to admit it was a sin. That's the scary part.

But I believe He has broken it.

Brother Ron, I believe we're on the same page regarding the scripture I quoted in James. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

If I commit a public sin, then it has to be dealt with publicly. If it's a private sin, then it's to dealt with privately. That's the rule of thumb at our church. The Holy Spirit quickened me on several occasions to confess this sin and then repent. I failed to do it because of my pride, plain and simple. Then I had to repent over that attitude as well.

So one of the things the Holy Spirit was dealing with me on was pride, not just the smoking.

I pray that I haven't glamourized this, because it certainly is not very pretty. My intent was to humble myself and confess the sin, realizing that it wasn't up to me as to how this would be received. One of the things the Lord is requiring that I lay down is the right to defend myself.

As I stated Brother Ron, if I'm off-base I seek forgiveness and a better understanding of what I should do in this type of instance.

2004/11/9 20:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Brother Ron, I believe we're on the same page regarding the scripture I quoted in James. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

If I commit a public sin, then it has to be dealt with publicly. If it's a private sin, then it's to dealt with privately. That's the rule of thumb at our church. The Holy Spirit quickened me on several occasions to confess this sin and then repent. I failed to do it because of my pride, plain and simple. Then I had to repent over that attitude as well.

The old puritans used to ask the question 'can a servant of God who has sinned be restored to God's service'? They had a simple answer, "yes" they said "when his repentance has become as notorious as his sin". Sin only needs to be confessed to the people it has affected. This would bring in the need for restitution where possible.

Sin is to be confessed to God, and to a local gathering if the sin has affected them. The James link with prayer for healing and 1 Cor 11 show that personal sin can affect a local gathering. But you don't need to publish your sin on the web. Sins need to be confessed to those against whom you have sinned, which might well include your local fellowship.

You don't need to ask my forgiveness, neither your sin nor your confession has 'affected' me. God has a wonderful way of covering up what we expose to Him. The essence of repentance is found in Psalm 51 where David makes the statement 'against thee, thee only, have I sinned.'

2004/11/10 3:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy