Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

Re: Reply #2

In reply with the quarrel, I ask that all of you, those quarreling and not quarreling read the paragraph and little smidgeon of scripture that is in between the text box and the submit button when you hit the "Reply" button to reply to a post here on SI. I'm not sure if you ever notice it, but I sure do; when I'm on SI, I always see something like "There are currently, 45 guest(s) and 8 member(s) that are online." That doesn't mean on the WWW, that means here on SI. They can access the posts here even if they are not members. So I ask you, if you were looking for a Christ-like forum to be a member of to help your walk with God, and use the internet for His glory, would you want to see people quarreling over nothing at all in posts and slandering his/her brother/sister in Christ? That is all.

-In Christ, Lucash

2009/12/30 13:05Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Reply #2

You are correct Lucash. I appologize for overtaking your thread. Please forgive me.

2009/12/30 13:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I think what brother mike (chrsschk) say often is worth considering , play the ball and not the man" or woman. Personal remarks in a negative way, ironic or humorous can in some cases come of very wrong. And also we should remember the verses under the reply window as mentioned. Also another thing worthy of consideration, how do we speak to other according to scripture? [i]ALWAYS[/i] with grace and salt, is my post edifying? will it be building up the readers, the original poster? also the one or ones i am answering older then me? are they a man or a woman? how should we speak to those? how does a christian woman address a man? maybe an elder and godly man? do we just speak our mind? how does a young man address an older woman of God? just say the first thing that enters his mind? surely not.

So in a forum when perhaps when we have no idea of whom we are speaking with, the highest and most carefully selection of words would be adviceable to use, the most respectful way of saying something, even when we disagree.

And if the poster is older and speaking to a younger brother or sister it should be done with an example to them in how to communicate gracefully.

also one i use for myself, i see what i have written, i ask myself, would the Lord have spoken in this manner? (i have failed many many times)

if we try remember this every thread would be edifying and upbuilding for the saints. Every thread would offer something that could feed the souls of our sisters and brethren.

just a few thoughts for consideration.

2009/12/30 14:03Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re: Fasting

Tomorrow is the day I am going to fast. My wife is off work so she will be able to help me out throughout the day. I urge you all to pray for me if possible, I've never done anything like this before and I'm a little nervous. None the less, the glory will be given to God! I plan to use my time fasting wisely and spend it with the Lord. Thank you all for your insight! -Lucash

2010/1/5 15:57Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Fasting

Hi Lucash,

I'm glad to hear that you are going to fast. The Lord has lead me to fast in the past and it has been a time where I have been able to gain focus on Christ Jesus and also see where food and other items were taking a position higher than they ought. I realize that there are many recommendations and "How To's" for just about any practice in the spiritual life or just about any other aspect of life these days. These things can be beneficial but the most important thing in our walk is following the prompting of the Holy Spirit. When God tells us to do something it is for our own benefit, waiting and delaying out of fear will only hurt you. I know this from experience, things that the Spirit has prompted me that I "didn't feel like doing" due often to fear of implications or people or whatever have resulted in hardship for myself. When I have delayed it has resulted in my turning to other things that were either ungodly or doing things that appeared good but were worthless because I was not doing them out of love for Christ.

When I have delayed doing something the Holy Spirit is clearly prompting me to, I show that I do not trust God's goodness. However, when I obey I get to see a realization of what He has directed me in. Personally, there is peace and joy that results but it also shows that I trust Him more and He can then show me what is next.

There is one more area that the Holy Spirit has shown me regarding following His leading, that of timing. In the Gospels we see again and again that Jesus did not do something because it was not the right time. When we walk in the Spirit, we are given the direct opportunity to walk as Jesus walked - doing the Will of the Father as revealed by the Holy Spirit. As we follow, He will guide you to pray for, study or to see things from His viewpoint. God may also call you to fast or pray for something or someone you do not know about. I am in the process of gathering support to do development work with some Christian brothers overseas. A few weeks ago the Holy Spirit laid it on my heart to pray for the people who were going to support me. He kept prompting me on this throughout the week so I prayed as He lead. I thought this was for the unknown to me number of people that will compromise the prayer and financial support team. However, the following Sunday the burden lifted and before the main worship and message I was given an anonymous gift to cover my flight costs. Looking back it appears the Lord wanted me to help in whatever battle there was for those giving the gift - but in His direction to me, He only asked me to obey.

We must always remember that we are engaged in a heavenly battle. Our fasting, prayer, the word we speak to someone and giving a helping hand when lead by the Holy Spirit are all aspects of this battle. When you fast in obedience to what the Lord has lead you, you are engaging in the battle and demonstrating the Powers of the Air that you are more concerned about His will than your own. Be strong brother, the Lord is with you and He desires only your best.

EDIT: The Lord brought me to this piece by Zac Poonen about about fear, I think it will spell out some of the things I referred to more clearly.

Quote:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=2042]Freedom From Fear[/url] by Zac Poonen

One of the first things we read that happened to Adam as soon as he sinned, and when God came and spoke to him, was that he got afraid. It’s the first time that fear is mentioned in the Bible. When God came to him and He asked where he was hiding among the trees. And he said, “I was afraid,” and ever since that day sin and separation from God brought fear. And since that day, all of these six thousand years of man’s history, man has been living with fear so often afraid even to acknowledge Him (God), even believers.

I don’t know how many of you realize that Jesus was as much against fear as He was against sin. A lot of believers who are determined to root out sin from their life are not as equally determined to root out fear. That’s because they think of sin as bad, but fear as a weakness or something we have to live with. There are lots of other believers who think that sin is something they’ve got to live with, and so they live with sin. And if you think fear is something you have to live with, you live with fear. The same Jesus who told people, “Do not sin again,” also said so many times to people, “Fear not. Don’t be afraid.” The same God who said “don’t kill” said “don’t be afraid”. Is that a suggestion, or is that a command?

Read remainder here: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=2042]Freedom From Fear[/url]

2010/1/5 22:36Profile
live4jc

Re:

Dear brother Lucash,

Back to the topic of fasting, I am glad that you brought this topic up. The Lord said, 'when' you fast, so this suggests that this practice might figure into a Christian's life occasionally, at times when we sense the Lord leading us into it. I like how the discussion has broadened the idea of fasting to go beyond just fasting food to other things as well, such as the internet...or whatever. I suppose in a sense, while fasting is meant as a special time dedicated to putting God before food etc, it is also an outgrowth of our life as a whole, which should be marked by putting God first and other things second. May God grant that this will be the pattern of our lives.

Take care !

In Christ,
John

2010/1/6 2:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy