Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Scripture Memorization List

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Scripture Memorization List

I've never been one who has been prone to memorize the Scripture, however, I believe the Lord has placed it upon my heart to memorize more Scripture than I have. With that said, I have thought it would be nice to do such somewhat systematically. Does anybody know of a free list that contains a significant number of verses to memorize, so that I could simply print such a list off, and make it a point every day to memorize one verse on the list? I think it would be nice to have a list with at least 100 verses, so that in one years time I could go through the same list 3 times and reinforce what I have already memroized.

2009/12/3 6:55Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Scripture Memorization List

No list used here. I recently started myself and picked the 23rd Psalm. I am aiming for memorizing verses that will be particularly versatile in time of need.

I have to say, I learned more about the 23rd Psalm during the period of memorization than I had ever known. I guess since it is so commonly used and referenced it is easy to overlook the depth of the message. If necessary, this psalm could sustain my life and soul should I not have the complete Bible. Plus, it is a treasure to share with others.

I would reconsider such a 'business like' approach to choosing which verses to memorize and pray for the Lord to direct you.

I will be interested in your selections.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/12/3 8:21Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I would reconsider such a 'business like' approach to choosing which verses to memorize and pray for the Lord to direct you.

Well, I always study the Scriptures in a methodical manner. And so far as I understand it, memorization is a discipline. Being that I don't know what verses I will need in the future for various circumstances in life, I figure it is best to have a balanced memorization list that give's one a little of everything, and not simpy what seems nice and devotional at the present moment.

Quote:

I recently started myself and picked the 23rd Psalm.

Excellent. I love the 23rd Psalm. Not too long ago I had the opportunity to preach and write on Psalm 23. Perhaps the following "commentary" will be beneficial to what you are doing:

http://www.iamadisciple.com/articles/psalm23.php

Many blessings,

Jimmy

2009/12/3 8:38Profile
davym

Re:

Hi Jimmy

I found this on Google. Looks like a piece of software you can download. Not sure if it's what you are after, but it may help

[url=http://www.memoryverses.org/smsw.shtml]Scripture Memorization Tool[/url]

God bless

David

2009/12/3 9:04Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Being that I don't know what verses I will need in the future for various circumstances in life, I figure it is best to have a balanced memorization list . . .

Would not the Holy Spirit be the only One qualified to do this?

:-)

BTW, He also has me doing the same thing. The first one on the list is Romans 11:36. One down, 999 to go.

2009/12/3 9:59Profile
Leo_Grace

In addition to Psalm 23, I would recommend the entire Chapter of Isaiah 40. It encompasses a lot of essential teachings regarding evangelism, faith, humility, and God's love.

2009/12/3 11:43Profile
swsojourner

Hello,

John Piper has "Fighter Verses" that are free to access. There is also the InterVarsity system, but I don't think they are free.

Some sets of the Fighter Verses are available at [url=http://www.boundtochrist.com/resources/fighter-verses/]http://www.boundtochrist.com/resources/fighter-verses/[/url]

Hope that helps.

Everybody learns different and depending on how you memorize but I have found an invaluable resource in Scripture memorization to be a digital recorder, especially when you have a lot of review. An Olympus digital recorder is probably the best, having burned through some of the cheaper ones and is an investment you can use for other purposes as well :)

God bless,
Karsten

2009/12/3 16:30Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

My suggestion may be a little bit different, but I think more effective than a predetermined list. If you are daily walking with the Lord and daily in His word, He is going to speak to you through that word. When that happens, live in that passage for a little while and commit it to memory. Nothing sticks in the mind more than something that God uses to minister to the heart and spirit. I think it is much more effective than some list that someone made for you.

2009/12/3 16:51Profile
swsojourner

Re:

Quote:
My suggestion may be a little bit different, but I think more effective than a predetermined list. If you are daily walking with the Lord and daily in His word, He is going to speak to you through that word. When that happens, live in that passage for a little while and commit it to memory. Nothing sticks in the mind more than something that God uses to minister to the heart and spirit. I think it is much more effective than some list that someone made for you.

Yes but at the same time if you don't have some kind of system you probably won't memorize many scriptures. Personally, I like to memorize whole books of the Bible and I do 3 verses a day and have committed significant portions of the New Testament and the Psalms to heart in this manner. Sometimes it's a drudgery and sometimes it's a blessing beyond belief, but if I waited until I was depressed to memorize the Psalms, I might never learn the Psalter. :)

Hope that makes some sense, it is amazing what the Holy Spirit quickens to you throughout the day in varying circumstances. Methods don't really matter to me, just the fact that you get the Word into your heart. It is so powerful and I think everybody who does it can attest to that, including our Great High Priest quoting Deuteronomy to the devil. :)

of course, your mileage may vary

in Christ,
Karsten

2009/12/3 17:41Profile

Re:

Glad to hear your endeavor! Scripture memorization is vital.

Also heres leo's recommendation

Isaiah 40
1 ¶ Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.
3 ¶ The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
6 The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.
9 ¶ O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
12 ¶ Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counsellor hath taught him?
14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?
15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.
16 And Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor the beasts thereof sufficient for a burnt offering.
17 All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.
18 ¶ To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?
19 The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains.
20 He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved.
21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
23 That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
24 Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.
25 To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.
26 Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
27 ¶ Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God?
28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
(KJV)

2009/12/3 18:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy