SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Effective Praying

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

There may not be as much sin conciousness in our time on the earth... but I believe one of our problems is that there isn't much fire in our time. If there was fire, there would be more conciousness.

Another thing is that we are "fishers of men" fishing for a certain type of fish... the rich that can fund the building projects and those that we want, not the ones that really want it. Strange to say, but it's true. We'd rather have a rich and handsome person come to our services than a ugly and poor person.

I believe, aside from this, that everyone has that "God shaped vaccume" in their life that they are longing to fill. I believe everyone has a basic knowledge of what sin is and that they are committing sin, they just don't want to face it.

***Experiment*** I acted like a 100% liberal and acted like it was "O.K." for others to be homosexual. I had a few conversations with them and made it clear that I thought there was nothing wrong with it (of course I do, but this was long ago). They still insisted that it was not a choice, but it was hereditary (which I don't believe). Even they had a conciousness that it was wrong, and they try to escape that with the "it's not my fault, it's the way I am" routine. Regardless of whether or not you believe this, I don't want to get in a discussion about it, but even when the social "taboo's" of homosexuality are taken away, they still feel convicted enough of it, to the point where they feel they must not take blame for it, but place the blame on God.

I do believe that we are placed in this time period for a reason, we are handed the tools, and we are supposed to be following the instructions of our maker to be doing his work. I believe we have what we need. *WE* are the Finney's, the Ravenhill's, the Wesley's. The world is ripe, the overripe wheat is beginning to fall to the ground, it is so ripe. "White and ready to harvest", Jesus said it himself. The world has a sin conciousness, some sort of one. They just need to be presented the truths of the bible...

Lets Go!

2003/8/25 1:52Profile
PJ

Re:

Quote:

Zapthycat wrote:

I do believe that we are placed in this time period for a reason, we are handed the tools, and we are supposed to be following the instructions of our maker to be doing his work. I believe we have what we need. *WE* are the Finney's, the Ravenhill's, the Wesley's. The world is ripe, the overripe wheat is beginning to fall to the ground, it is so ripe. "White and ready to harvest", Jesus said it himself. The world has a sin conciousness, some sort of one. They just need to be presented the truths of the bible...

Lets Go!

I hear ya!
At times I have ached to live in a time long ago, but most recently I realize that God placed me at this time in history for a reason. What an awesome responsibility! He did not place me here to live my life in vain. We must step up and become the people that God intended for us to be. We must give up our rights to ourselves and take seriously the thing of God. 2nd Timothy 2:4 No one who wareth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life...
Not only are we the Ravenhills, Finneys, etc - but much greater still, we are called to be like Christ. His is the standard that I am reaching for. In this day and time nothing else will do. It is exciting to see that others are being stirred. Is it coincidence that so many are fealing the same thing?
How did I ever live with out this burning in my heart?!! What did I ever find exciting in the world?!! How can others not see what I see? How can anyone take lightly the things of God?! Oh, God, please open their eyes!

PJ

2003/8/25 9:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
We'd rather have a rich and handsome person come to our services than a ugly and poor person.

If he is full of the spirit you could put a stray dog up there for all I care! (remember Baalam's donkey!)
I have a vauge recollection of a story about an eloquent speaker/preacher that gave an outstanding message finishing with a certain passage and the crowd stood and applauded.
An old man (maybe an elder) got up and read the same exact passage, straight forward....and the people wept.

2003/8/25 10:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

PJ

Quote:
Is it coincidence that so many are fealing the same thing?
How did I ever live with out this burning in my heart?!! What did I ever find exciting in the world?!! How can others not see what I see? How can anyone take lightly the things of God?! Oh, God, please open their eyes!

"coincidence"
Just started a new post in the lounge on this interesting 'phenomenon', would love to hear your feedback...boy, this is getting very interesting.

P.S. since I had to look up the spelling of 'phenomenon'...here is a definition:
"an outword sign of the working of a law of nature" And what is our new nature?
;-)

2003/8/25 10:45Profile
PJ

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
P.S. since I had to look up the spelling of 'phenomenon'...

My dictionary now gets alot more use. With out the benefit of 'spell check' I find myself often looking up words, trying to avoid the embarrasment of posting too many misspelled words.

Smith Wigglesworth (Who did not recieve the a formal education, and who only learned to read in his twenties) wrote a letter one time and apparently spelled 'Holy Spirit' several different ways. When the recipiant of the letter brought this to Wigglesworth attention he ask, "Did you understand what it meant?" When the recipiant said that he did, Wigglesworth replied, "then that's all that really matters".

Hmmm, that just might become my new motto.

PJ

2003/8/25 12:06Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"Smith Wigglesworth (Who did not recieve the a formal education, and who only learned to read in his twenties) wrote a letter one time and apparently spelled 'Holy Spirit' several different ways. When the recipiant of the letter brought this to Wigglesworth attention he ask, "Did you understand what it meant?" When the recipiant said that he did, Wigglesworth replied, "then that's all that really matters".

Hmmm, that just might become my new motto."

I like that.
That's good stuff.
Do you remember where you read or heard about that?

2003/8/25 12:16Profile
PJ

Re:

I read it in one of his biographys. Probably in "Smith Wigglesworth, The Secret of His Power". I'll try to look it up tonight and let you know.

PJ

2003/8/25 12:46Profile
PJ

Re:

It was the book I thought...
Smith Wigglesworth, The Secret of His Power
By; Albert Hibbert
pg. 29

Exact wording:
Smith gave all he had, even in relation to grammar, to his Lord. He once wrote a letter to a university graduate. The next time this person saw Smith, he said, "You know, you spelled the title of the Holy Spirit seven different ways in your letter."

Wigglesworth replied, "Did you understand it?"

"Oh, yes."

Then Wigglesworth said, "Thank God, that's all that matters."

PJ

2003/8/25 17:09Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

That's kinda funny, because that's what I say when I misspell something to someone. Especially when chatting.

It's the end result that matters, the traditions of men avail little if anything.

2003/8/25 19:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Reminds me of what Jim Cymbala said:
"I despaired at the thought that my life might slip by without seeing God show himself mightly on our behalf. Carol and I didn't want merely to mark time. I longed and cried out for God to change everything- me, the church, our passion for people, our praying. ....[b]always preaching about the power of the Word and the Spirit, but never seeing it.[/b]" From "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire"

Man what a cut to the heart, its so true that we can read and listen to men of God preach about great spiritual truths and revivals but is it our daily experience?

Quote:
Ravenhill expresses this dissatisfaction in repeated calls for men of stature, who dare to give themselves to the Altar: “We need to get humble enough, low enough, desperate enough, hungry enough, concerned enough , passionate enough broken enough, passionate enough, clean, enough and prayerful enough, then God will send us a revival….” – Sodom had no Bible.

I feel we need this holy dissatisfaction with the state of our spiritual lifes if we are not living in the 'book of acts' Christianity with all its power and connection to God! We need a revival brothers in our hearts and in the body of Christ!

Quote:
Shall we give up, after those who travailed in prayer before us, making us "the generation that grew weary"?

I really feel that there are alot of people on this site that are serious about seeking God. I believe we need to pray to him and seek Him until he revives our hearts and our families, communities, churches, cities, and countries! :-D

2003/8/26 0:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy