Discussion Forum : General Topics : Spanking

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

DeepThinker,

I loved your testimony. This is precious. It teaches that sin does not have to be perpetuated from one generation to the next. You illustrated well the damaging effects of anger running unchecked in a family. With sin abounding in our world and being glorified through the media it is getting worse.

DT you mentioned the sin of anger (I am going on a bunny trail here)...I am getting to the point where I am beginning to think this may be the greatest besetting sin that is confronting godly folks, or at least those who take holiness seriously.

Scripture teaches us that we should be angry but don't sin. Well, most of us will justify anger because we are angry at sin. We are distressed because of what sin is doing and we are helpless to stop its onslaught. So we get frustrated and angry, sometimes excessively so.

Now, how can one balance justifiable anger with love and patience? Maybe that is one reason why God allows parents to have children who are missing the mark to teach us this lesson?

(BTW, child #3 sent me a mother's day card this year - a first ever for him. This meant a lot to me.)

Thanks for your testimony, DeepThinker.
ginnyrose

2009/10/7 20:06Profile
BeingMolded

USA

Re:

My mom and Dad did not spare the rod and their children were not spoiled, thank the Lord.When my husband and I got married before haveing children we discussed the Biblical way of discipline we would use. The ground rules were when the child knowingly disobeyed he would be spanked. A small switch that is enough to sting but not cause damage was to be used. The child was told why he was being spanked and was assured it was because we loved him and did not want him to grow up to be a person that people would not want to be around because he could not obey. We also agreed that if we questioned the others discipline we would never discuss this in front of the children, and if one of us said no don't go to the other parent and ask because it was going to still be no.
We had family devotions with them from the time they were very young to instill in them the love of God and to let them know we loved them also.
It worked well and they have told us repeatedly how much they appreciated strict disipline. Two of them are ministers and the other one is a Sunday School teacher. Thanks be to God for His help and guidance in how to raise children. His way is best in everything.

2009/10/7 23:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy