SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Motives behind Conditional/Eternal Security

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi again Abe_Juliot,

You said before,

"Jesus never told his disciples to fear death or fear hell..."

I asked you then [b]why Jesus told His followers to fear God[/b].

Not George Whitefield or Charles Spurgeon, or anyone else.

2009/1/2 0:04Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

I believe I answered your question and you overlooked what I wrote. I don't want to discuss this with you if you are going to be ignorant of my responses. Good night and may the Lord bless you. -Abraham

2009/1/2 0:55Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Abe_Juliot, thank you for your patience with me.

I don't want to [b]discuss[/b] this with you at all. I asked you why the Lord Jesus Christ, in that passage, said to fear God.

I wanted to be clear what the Lord Jesus had said.

2009/1/2 7:51Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi Abe_Juliot, thank you for your patience with me.

I don't want to [b]discuss[/b] this with you at all. I asked you why the Lord Jesus Christ, in that passage, said to fear God.

I wanted to be clear what the Lord Jesus had said.

Those who are justified are told both to 'fear' and to 'fear not'. They are to 'fear' to bring about their sanctification, they are told to 'fear not' because they ARE justified.

Those who are not justified are ONLY to 'fear'.

Pro 16:6 ...by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

Luke 12:5-7 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?

7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Old Joe

2009/1/2 9:54
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Old_Joe, you said,

Quote:
They are to 'fear' to bring about their sanctification, they are told to 'fear not' because they ARE justified.

Those are more of your words.

I did not ask you for them. I did ask Abe_Juliot what the Lord Jesus said.

2009/1/2 10:21Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

For clarification here,

Abe_Juliot said,

Quote:
Jesus never told his disciples to fear death or fear hell. He said "Fear Him" who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

I asked why the Lord Jesus told His disciples to fear God there, that is, what reason He gave.

2009/1/2 10:40Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Chris,

We must examine the rest of Scriptures to understand what fearing God means.

Hebrews 2:15 - "and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death."

The writer states that believers are free from the fear of death. I believe if you search the Scriptures, you will that when a person is described as a "God-fearer", it means that they have respect, reverence, and awe for Him and His commandments, which I believe is why Jesus is commanding his disciples to fear God.

You are assuming what Jesus means by "fear God" and what you mean by "fear God" are the same thing, which I would humbly suggest is not true.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/1/2 11:28Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Taylor,

About this,

Quote:
You are assuming what Jesus means by "fear God" and what you mean by "fear God" are the same thing, which I would humbly suggest is not true.

I don't believe that I'm assuming anything. I'm comparing what was claimed by someone else in this thread with what the Lord Jesus said, and asking what reason He gave his disciples to fear God.

Quote:
..it means that they have respect, reverence, and awe for Him and His commandments,...

But not His warnings?

2009/1/2 13:48Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
But not His warnings?

Sure, his warnings as well.

However, when we take heed to those warnings, including examining our self, and do we find that the fruit of the Spirit is present in our life; that God is working in us both to will and do of His good pleasure; that we love the brethren; and that we have a love of the truth? Of course, all of these must be examined in a Biblical fashion.

If we do find these things to be true, then we rejoice in the promises of God that he will preserve his people. If we do not find them to be true, then we should flee to Christ for salvation.

However, there is no Biblical precedent that the believer [b]who is bringing forth fruit consistent with his profession[/b] should fear death and hell. Actually, we are called to look forward to our internal inheritance and to not fear death.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/1/2 13:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi again Taylor,

Quote:
However, when we take heed to those warnings...

...If we do not find them to be true, then we should flee to Christ for salvation.

Paul writes to those in Romans 11:20-22 that he says [i]stood by faith[/i] and he writes to Timothy telling him to [i]take heed[/i](1 Ti 4:16). And James writes to the [i]brethren[/i] in James 1:13-16.

I think that we need to leave the warnings in the scripture in the words they were written.

2009/1/2 14:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy