SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Elohiym: Creator

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: new covenant

Greetings,

There was some mention earlier about the New Covenant. Someone said that it was quote: [i]"This is the implementing of the New Covenant with Israel, Not the Body of Christ.[/i]

The 'body of Christ' is made up of Israel and the gentiles. The first church was entirely Jewish for the first 10 years. There is only one NEW COVENANT mentioned in scripture....

The New Covenant was made with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. Not with the gentiles. Gentiles who repent and believe can be brought into the commonwealth of Israel. They can then share in the rights and responsibilities of the New Covenant. They are welcome. They were always welcome to attach themselves to the people of Israel as Ruth did: [b]"Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God".[/b]

Gentiles, who in Paul's words, were "separated from Messiah, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and [b]strangers to the covenants of promise,[/b] having no hope and without God in the world", are now invited to be [b]grafted in[/b], to share in the richness of the cultivated olive tree.

Yeshua is the mediator of this New Covenant, with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. The gentiles never had an "Old Covenant", but are invited to enter into this New Covenant, also having the laws of YHVH put into them and written on their hearts. The Old Covenant, given at Mt Sinai, to Israel, written on tablets of stone, is now promised to be written on the hearts of [b]all[/b] who turn to YHVH, through the Good News proclaimed by Yeshua. The New Covenant will see ultimate fulfillment when the Kingdom of God is realised, and Messiah Yeshua is ruling and reigning from Jerusalem.

[u][b]THE NEW COVENANT[/b][/u]

[u]Luke 22:19-20[/u] "And likewise the cup after supper, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

[u]Matthew 26:28[/u] "For this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

[u]Mark 14:24[/u] "And he said to them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many"

[u]1 Corinthians 11:25[/u] "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." ."

[u]Hebrews 12:24[/u] "and to Yeshua, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel.".

[u][b]Text of the New Covenant: Hebrews 8: 8-12 (from Jeremiah 31: 31-35):[/b][/u]

"The days will come, says YHVH,
when I will establish a [b]new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah;[/b]
not like the covenant that I made with their fathers
on the day when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
for they did not continue in my covenant,
and so I paid no heed to them, says YHVH.
[b]This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
after those days, says YHVH:
I will put my laws into their minds,
and write them on their hearts,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.[/b]
And they shall not teach every one his fellow
or every one his brother, saying, "Know YHVH"
for all shall know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will be merciful toward their iniquities,
and I will remember their sins no more."

and...

[u]Hebrews 9:15[/u] says: " Therefore he is the mediator of a '[b]new covenant[/b], so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred which redeems them from the [b]transgressions[/b] under the first covenant.

Under the New Covenant, because of my High Priest, Yeshua,
Stephen

2008/4/26 18:45
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Bondage

[i]Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.[/i] Gal 4:21-31

2008/4/26 19:04Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Bondage

[i]O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.[/i] Gal 3:1-29

2008/4/26 19:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Bondage

[i]I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.[/i] Gal 1:6-9

2008/4/26 19:24Profile
jayyou

Re:

dear brother revbenjamin,

thank you for your reply.

I went back in all the messages and did not find the answers for my questions.

I hope I am not abusing your patience, but could you please answer them again, I would appreciate if you can.

If you can't answer or don't want to, I will understand.

here are the questions again.

I have a few question for you, I would love to know what you think about this....

++++++++

=====If the law are done away, why was the ark that contains the law of God shown to John?

====what is still inside the ark?

====tell me about the fourth commandment of the law that was put inside the ark down here on earth, taking into account that whatever was done in the earthly tabernacle was a copy of the heavenly one?

====Whatever is inside the ark that was seen by John, Are there ten Commandments there or nine?

=====One last thing, Please explain to me Romans chapter two, where Paul is describing circumcision of the flesh and the inwardly Jew?

Would love to hear your comments about this....

God bless us all.....

2008/4/26 20:10Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Stephen you need to study the word more.

Acts 11:20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.

The Jews were agreeable to the Messiah, but not Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah.

Paul tried many times to give them the Gospel of Christ Jesus, but they would not.

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Ac 11:20
Verse 20. Were men of Cyprus and Cyrene. Were natives of Cyprus and Cyrene. Cyrene was a province and city of Libya in Africa. It is at present called Cairoan, and is situated in the kingdom of Barca. In Cyprus, the Greek language was spoken; and from the vicinity of Cyrene to Alexandria, it is probable that the Greek language was spoken there also. From this circumstance it might have happened that they were led more particularly to address the Grecians who were in Antioch. It is possible, however, that they might have heard of the vision which Peter saw, and felt themselves called on to preach the gospel to the Gentiles.
Spake unto the Grecian. proV touV ellhnistaV To the Hellenists. This word usually denotes, in the New Testament, those Jews residing in foreign lands who spoke the Greek language. Cmt. on Ac 6:1. But to them the gospel had been already preached; and yet in this place it is evidently the intention of Luke to affirm, that the men of Cyprus and Cyrene preached to those who were not Jews, and that thus their conduct was distinguished from those Ac 11:19 who preached to the Jews only. It is thus manifest that we are here required to understand the Gentiles, as those who were addressed by the men of Cyprus and Cyrene. In many Mss. the word used here is ellhnaV, Greeks, instead of Hellenists. This reading has been adopted by Griesbach, and is found in the Syriac, the Arabic, the Vulgate, and in many of the Fathers. The AEthiopic version reads, "to the Gentiles." There is no doubt that this is the true reading; and that the sacred writer means to say that the gospel was here preached to those who were not Jews, for all were called Greeks by them who were not Jews, Ro 1:16. The connexion would lead us to suppose that they had heard of what had been done by Peter, and that, imitating his example, they preached the gospel now to the Gentiles.

{*} "Grecians" "Hellenists"
{a} "preaching" Ac 6:1; 9:29

Then Paul stopped preaching the Christ of the Gospel to the Jews.

Acts 28:27-28 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

Even the first name of Christian was unto the Greeks, Gentiles that is; Acts 11:25-26 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

And so Paul was an Apostle to the Gentiles, even though he tried to give the Gospel to the Jewish Nation. They would not accept it and the Gospel went to the Gentile, this does not stop those that were Jews that believed on the Name of The Lord Jesus Christ and were saved, by Paul's preaching becoming Christians. Individuals saved into the kingdom of God, not Gentile or Jew, but Christ Ones, thus Christians.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/4/26 21:04Profile

Re:

[i]You see brother how many [b]myriads[/b] there are among the Jews of those who have believed and they are [b]all zealous for the Law[/b]. And they have been told about you that you are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. "What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come, so do this that we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow, take them, purify yourself according to the Law along with them, pay their expenses at the end of their purification in order that they may shave their heads and [b]all may know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly keeping the Law.[/b]"[/i] Acts 21:19-26

The tens of thousands of Jewish believers in Jerusalem, including the apostles, were all zealous for the Law of Moses. They had heard rumors about Paul that he taught Jews to reject the Law of Moses, to stop circumcising their children, and to forsake the Jewish customs. The leaders knew that these rumors were false. It was necessary for Paul to clearly and unequivocally show to everyone that the rumors were false.

Stephen.

2008/4/26 21:51
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Nonsense

On the contrary;

[b]And they are all zealous of the law[/b] - They still observe the Law of Moses. The reference here is to the law respecting circumcision, sacrifices, distinctions of meats and days, festivals, etc. It may seem remarkable that they should still continue to observe those rites, since it was the manifest design of Christianity to abolish them. But we are to remember:

(1) That those rites had been appointed by God, and that they were trained to their observance.

(2) that the apostles conformed to them while they remained at Jerusalem, and did not deem it best to set themselves violently against them, Act_3:1; Luk_24:53.

(3) that the question about their observance had never been agitated at Jerusalem. It was only among the Gentile converts that the question had risen, and there it must arise, for if they were to be observed, they must have been imposed upon them by authority.

(4) the decision of the council Acts 15 related only to the Gentile converts. It did not touch the question whether those rites were to be observed by the Jewish converts.

(5) it was to be presumed that as the Christian religion became better understood - that as its large, free, and catholic nature became more and more developed, the special institutions of Moses would be laid aside of course, without agitation and without tumult. Had the question been agitated at Jerusalem, it would have excited tenfold opposition to Christianity, and would have rent the Christian church into factions, and greatly retarded the advance of the Christian doctrine. We are to remember also:

(6) That, in the arrangement of Divine Providence, the time was drawing near which was to destroy the temple, the city, and the nation, which was to put an end to sacrifices, and effectually to close forever the observance of the Mosaic rites. As this destruction was so near, and as it would be so effectual an argument against the observance of the Mosaic rites, the Great Head of the church did not suffer the question of their obligation to be needlessly agitated among the disciples at Jerusalem.

Act 21:21 -
[b]And they are informed of thee[/b] - Reports respecting the conduct of Paul would be likely to be in circulation among all at Jerusalem. His remarkable conversion, his distinguished zeal, his success among the Gentiles, would make his conduct a subject of special interest. Evil-minded men among the Jews, who came up to Jerusalem from different places where he had been, would be likely to represent him as the decided enemy of the laws of Moses, and these reports would be likely to reach the ears of the Jewish converts. The reports, as they gained ground, would be greatly magnified, until suspicion might be excited among the Christians at Jerusalem that he was, as he was reputed to be, the settled foe of the Jewish rites and customs.

[b]That thou teachest all the Jews[/b] ... - From all the evidence which we have of his conduct, this report was incorrect and slanderous. The truth appears to have been, that he did not enjoin the observance of those laws on the Gentile converts; that the effect of his ministry on them was to lead them to suppose that their observance was not necessary - contrary to the doctrines of the Judaizing teachers (see Acts 15); and that he argued with the Jews themselves, where it could be done, against the obligation of those laws and customs since the Messiah had come. The Jews depended on their observance for justification and salvation. This Paul strenuously opposed; and this view he defended at length in the Epistles which he wrote. See the Epistles to the Romans, the Galatians, and the Hebrews. Yet these facts might be easily misunderstood and perverted, so as to give rise to the slanderous report that he was the enemy of Moses and the Law.

[b]Which are among the Gentiles[/b] - Who live in pagan countries. The Jews were extensively scattered and settled in all the large towns and cities of the Roman empire.

[b]To forsake Moses[/b] - The Law and the authority of Moses. That is, to regard his laws as no longer binding.

[b]To walk after the customs[/b] - To observe the institutions of the Mosaic ritual. See the notes on Act_6:14. The word “customs” denotes “the rites of the Mosaic economy the offering of sacrifices, incense, the oblations, anointings, festivals, etc., which the Law of Moses prescribed.”

Act 21:23 -
[b]We have four men[/b] - There are with us four men. It is evident that James and the elders meant to say that these men were connected with them in the Christian church; and the fact shows that the Christians at Jerusalem did not disregard the institutions of Moses, and had not been so far enlightened in the doctrines of Christianity as to forsake yet the ceremonial rites of the Jews.

[b]Which have a vow on them[/b] - Which have made a vow. See the notes on Act_18:18. From the mention of shaving the head (in Act_21:24), it is evident that the vow which they had taken was that of the Nazarite; and that as the time of their vow was about expiring, they were about to be shaven, in accordance with the custom usual on such occasions. See the notes on Act_18:18. These persons Paul could join, and thus show decisively that he did not intend to undervalue or disparage the laws of Moses when those laws were understood as mere ceremonial observances.

[i]Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, [b]are nothing[/b]; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.[/i] Act 21:24

Act 21:24 -
[b]Them take[/b] - Take with you. Join yourself with them.

[b]And purify thyself with them[/b] - Join them in observing the forms of purification prescribed by the Law of Moses in the observance of the vow of the Nazarite. The purifying here refers to the vows of sanctity which the Nazarites were to observe. They were to abstain from wine and strong drink; they were to eat no grapes, moist or dried; they were to come near no dead body, nor to make themselves “unclean” for their father, mother, brother, or sister, when they died Num_6:3-7; and they were to present an offering when the days of the vow were completed, Num_6:8.

[b]And be at charges with them[/b] - Share with them the expense of the offerings required when the vow is completed. Those offerings were a ram of a year old for a burnt-offering, a sheep of the same age for a sin-offering, a ram for a thank-offering, a basket of unleavened cakes, and a libation of wine. See Num_6:13-20.

[b]That they may shave their heads[/b] - The shaving of the head, or the cutting off the hair which had been suffered to grow during the continuance of the vow Num_6:5, was an observance indicating that the vow had been performed. Paul was requested to join with them in the expense of the offerings, that thus, the whole of the ceremonies having been observed, their heads might be shaved as an indication that every part of the vow had been complied with.

[b]And all may know[/b] - By the fact of your observance of one of the rites of the Mosaic religion, all may have evidence that it is not your purpose or practice to speak contemptuously of those rites, or to undervalue the authority of Moses.

[b]Are nothing[/b] - Are untrue, or without any foundation.

[b]Walkest orderly[/b] - That you live in accordance with the real requirements of the Law of Moses. To walk, in the Scriptures, often denotes “to live, to act, to conduct in a certain manner.” All, probably, that they wished Paul to show by this was, that he was not an enemy of Moses. They who gave this counsel were Christians, and they could not wish him to do anything which would imply that he was not a Christian.

Barnes

2008/4/26 23:37Profile

Re:

Crsschk: quote: [i]"Re: Nonsense
On the contrary;
And they are all zealous of the law - They still observe the Law of Moses. The reference here is to the law respecting circumcision, sacrifices, distinctions of meats and days, festivals, etc. It may seem remarkable that they should still continue to observe those rites, since it was the manifest design of Christianity to abolish them."[/i]

[i][b]"since it was the manifest design of Christianity to abolish them"[/b][/i]------------Indeed it was and still is amongst most, contrary to the words of YHVH, when he said that His Servant would [b]"magnify his law and make it glorious"[/b].

Opposition to the Eternal Torah of YHVH runs deep. Against the teachings of the one they claim to follow. It was not the 'manifest design' of Messiah to abolish the Law, as he said: [u][b]"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them[/u]. For truly, I say to you, [u]till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.[/u] Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."[/b]

Revelation 12:17 "Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on [u]those who keep the commandments of God and bear testimony to Yeshua[/u].

There is NO prophesy in the "Old Testament" that foretells the abolishment of the Torah of YHVH by a new institution. The New Covenant, made with Israel, clearly writes the Torah on the hearts and minds of those who come into it, causing them to walk in His ways. The Bereans checked everything in the "Old Testament", the Hebrew Scriptures, to 'see if they be so' -- No foretelling of abolishment of the eternal law of God.

...."[i]distinctions of meats[/i].....these are not "rites", and are never called "rites" in the Scripture, but part of the eternal Law of God. Certain meats were declared an [b]abomination[/b] to God, and are still shown to be such in Isaiah 66:17: "Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating swine's flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together, says YHVH".

Romans 2:13: "For it is not the hearers of the Law who are righteous before God, but the [b]doers of the Law[/b] who will be justified".

Stephen.

2008/4/27 1:06
sscr01

Re:

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: YEA, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31.

"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

"The obedience of faith." Rom 15:26.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW." 1 John 3:4.

The fourth commandment, is just that - a commandment.

2008/4/27 9:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy