SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What is Revival to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

What is Revival to you?

What is revival to you?
How will it be minifest?
How will you determine if revival has come?
What will you do to bring it about? Or can you do anything?
I would really like to hear your perspectives on the above questions, any or all.

Thank you for your time,
Lori

2007/12/18 15:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: What is Revival to you?

Great questions. I am sure many will give you some good responses. I do recommend this audio and video resource from the revival conference answering this question also:

[b]Revival Conference Q & A Panel[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16183&commentView=itemComments

[b]Revival Conference Q & A Panel (video)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16005&commentView=itemComments

2007/12/18 15:13Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Thank you. I appreciate the opportunity to hear the viewpoint of these "leaders". I am also very much looking forward to the viewpoint of the members of Sermon Index.com as well.

Lori

2007/12/18 15:37Profile
davyman

Quote:

Lor_E wrote:
What is revival to you?
How will it be minifest?
How will you determine if revival has come?
What will you do to bring it about? Or can you do anything?
I would really like to hear your perspectives on the above questions, any or all.

Thank you for your time,
Lori

Lori,

Revival is a remarkable work of God whereby many are saved by His sovereign hand. He seems to pour out an extra portion of grace at various times in history.

I think it is mainly manifested by the saints becoming more desirous of God and His mercy than anything else. There is greater fervency in prayer and in preaching. Methodology gives way to the Word of God. Holiness is yearned for by the Church. The trappings of Vanity Fair lose their luster. And the damned see the Word preached and hear the Word preached in our everyday lives.

We become more in tune with eternity, and become far more concerned about the lost. We sense the reality of their hell-bound plight and can even smell the sulfur on their clothing.

We are a far cry from revival, but I believe we can rent our clothing and put the ashes of repentance on our heads and pray for revival. O God, how I long for a deeper passion for You, that I may see the plight of my fellow and bring him the Good News of Your Kingdom. Forgive my pride and uncomfortable-ness in reaching out to a hell-bound sinner, for apart from Your grace such am I. In Jesus Name, Amen.

2007/12/21 20:04Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Thank you Davyman for your response.

I suppose I was hoping to spark some interest in discussions regarding the need and response of revival. It does, however, concern me that so few people have responded at all! No matter, I wonder though:

Quote:

davyman wrote:
Quote:

Revival is a remarkable work of God whereby many are saved by His sovereign hand. He seems to pour out an extra portion of grace at various times in history.

I so appreciate that statement : that it is a "remarkable work of God"; oftentimes it seems we humans try to bring about revival by our own human means, which often leads to strange doctrines and stranger still practices.

In the 24 years that I have been a Christian, I have seen many different movements, many claiming revival, many churches experiencing a "revival" in their midst, but it does not extend out from there. I have seen groups of people that have fire that burns in their hearts for the lost and for their brother and their sister, yet the whole thing came crashing down because of gossip and base sin. I have seen thousands gather in Times Square Church and felt the urgency of the hour walking around the streets of NY city, and some things did change, some things did move people to a "more desirous" relationship with God.

However, the word which speaks, "My brethren you have need of endurance.." seems to fall by the way, and while some may "grow roots downward and bear fruit upward" others are, as the parable speaks, wilting, stunted by rocks and hardend ground, overtaken by thistles and weeds, even whisked away by a clever enemy which steals the seed before it becomes rooted.

"We are a far cry from revival"

I wonder, when I consider the prayers of the saints over the years, the prayers of Leonard Ravenhill, Kieth Green, Corrie Ten Boom, my great grandmother, your prayers, the prayers of many within this site, and the prayers of many- too numerous to mention and even know of who have prayed for America and for the church within this very hour for years! Many, many tears; many, many fastings; many, many "spaces of grace" extended to generations to repent. No doubt:
"If My people which are called by My name will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven
and will forgive their sin,
and will heal thier land."

Forgive the long post please!

"Brethren we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God, will you pray with all your power while we try to preach the Word. All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down. Brethren pray that Holy Manna will be showered all around.
Brethren see poor sinners 'round you, slumbering on the brink of woe; death is coming hell is moving can you bear to let them go? See our fathers and our mothers and our children sinking down; brethren pray, and holy manna will be showered all around." George Atkins 19th century

Let the sower do his work! Let the seed be sown in love! let the rain water the ground, and let the FRUIT be borne 100 fold!

I will sow in tears, and wait for the reaping, I pray, patiently, for the harvest which comes from the Lord's hand!

2008/1/4 10:46Profile
psalm1

Lori,It is essential that the leadership of the church allow the Holy Spirit free reign in the midst of the congregation.
When the Holy Spirit sweeps into the assembly He does business with people.
Everything changes and people weep or fall in awe or worship.
Another interesting thing happens ....demons cry out and manifest through people.
I have seen this.
Those with theories think "the Holy Spirit doesn't make people roar or bark " and they are right. But demons will manifest under the weighty presence of the Holy Spirit.
So one great hindrance of revival is leaders erroneously ascribing demonic manifestations to the Holy Spirit. "we dont want any barking or roaring around here"
They misjudge whats happening.
we say we want revival but restrict the freedom of God and make rules as to what God can and cant do in the midst of the assembly.
I visited three modern revivals and it was so awesome I will never forget it.
Amazing and weird things happen in the weighty presence of the Holy Spirit.
The cost of revival pales in the light of the fruit of revival.
But ........the cost is very high.

David

2008/1/4 13:57Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Interesting.
Sometimes I forget that the modern sense of revival is so different from what I'm used to.
You know in my life I have seen many things, I've seen a drunk run to the altar and throw himself down on the ground in front of everyone and cry out for God's mercy, because of the annointed testimony of a believer.
I've seen a simple prayer for a girl with an affliction turn into wonder on her face as the affliction was gone.
I've seen entire congregations go to the altar and weep, and pray, and repent, and worship. I've seen people get all kinds of excited, get all kinds of loud, get all kinds of emotional, dance and cry and make all kinds of noise.. and I've seen those same people get swept away by some of the smallest things.
Yes, I agree that the cost of any revival is very great, I just hope and pray for that fruit that lasts: throughout every trial, every heartache, every temptation, every dissapointment and every idea that becomes as rubbish when God confronts our ideas against His.

Thanks for the post.
Lori

2008/1/4 16:03Profile
davyman

Re:

I "hit and run" post on another "Christian" BB. The reason I don't linger there is that the discussions run along the lines of "is it OK for a Christian to watch R rated movies?" Yech!

These unfortunates say that they watch this filth and ignore the nudity or don't take the satanic themes to heart or can "get over the non-Christian stuff" and enjoy the entertainment qualities of the film.

I am afraid this is the prevalent attitude of the visible church. Entertainment the god of America (my overseas brethren will verify this for their own countries as well, I suspect). We are addicted to fun. TV is fun, shopping is fun, work is fun and CHURCH SHOULD BE FUN, TOO. I am sickened by this. R rated movies aren't that bad; women parading in their underwear on prime time TV isn't that bad; hip-hop videos, God-slandering comedy, homosexual sit-coms etc. just aren't that bad.

This is why I say we are far from revival. When Christians trash their TVs and turn to their Bibles and knees, then we'll see revival (if the Lord wills). Those of us who have done these things still have much to repent of. Blatant consumerism comes to mind.

I am praying for revival. I am praying that God revives my heart to His majesty and glory. I'm praying that I would realize heartily that "at His right hand are pleasures forevermore."

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/5 12:42Profile
psalm1

Re:

Lori, both the pre-times square and the pre-brownsville revivals are documented.
Both accounts are very moving.
Pre-revival is the only way to revival.[I hope i can say that] maybe not.
But it does seem key" to say the least.
Ive never been so awestruck in my entire life as in the Brownsville revival.
The Holy Spirit in his weighty presence can change more in 5 minutes than 10 nuclear explosions.

David

2008/1/5 13:51Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Quote:

Pre-revival is the only way to revival.[I hope i can say that] maybe not.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Pre-revival"?

2008/1/5 15:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy