SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does everyone have a local chuch?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

HopePurifies said

Quote:
It is obvious that Corey didn't leave the church to hang on to his sin, but because the "churches" were in sin... that is biblical. I've went to my church with the purpose of evangelizing (because they are definitely not good) but so far I've only been brought down by it.

Thanks for understanding brother. I think a little affirmation was what I really needed to hear about now.

Unlike this quote by PaulWest
Quote:
You won't last. I guarantee it. You'll be a bitter, miserable Christian for the remainder of your life, immune from correction effective only in stirring strife and seeking to cause division.

Paul. This is cruel and unsupportive.

You don't know the churches I've been to and what I've witnessed - prosperity preaching in one; financial scandle in another; priest flirting with the ladies (and young girls) in the congrgation; Purpose Driven deceptions in another... that's four churches.

And that's just since February.

Being alone with my Bible in God is much, much safer, whatever you may think.

No one ever talks about Jesus over coffee and muffins afterwards anyway. At least we do on SI.

2007/7/27 23:18

Re:

Quote:

GrannieAnnie wrote:
I guess we'll need to post this same thing on every page.....

What if there are NO doctrinally sound Churches in your area or even within driving distance ?

I must say with much humility, that's an excuse. There has to be some church near by? I was in a church 6 years ago and a family used to drive an hour oneway! What do you mean that is not doctrinally sounded? Do they not believe in Jesus Christ has who HE is? The resurrection? The trinity? that He is GOD! We can compare to the great churches in the past and listen to our hero's, And wish our churches were like that now! Some probably are and most are not. But it doesn't mean that one day it won't happen. My personal opinion is that's why some don't go to church, they thrive off those great sermons of centuries ago, and we long for that zeal in our churches. you think the Lord Jesus desires for His church to return to the first love? More than you and I and everyone else on this website. He won't give up on the church and nor should you and I.

2007/7/27 23:22
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
You don't know the churches I've been to and what I've witnessed - prosperity preaching in one; financial scandle in another; priest flirting with the ladies (and young girls) in the congrgation; Purpose Driven deceptions in another...

Corey, be a man and get past all that. I am only telling you the truth. If you're going to survive as a child of God in this world you have to grow some thick skin. Don't be deceived into shifting blame; it really doesn't matter what you've seen or what you've experienced in a church in the past. Mature believers here are all telling you the same thing regarding this issue.

2007/7/27 23:27Profile

Re:

Hey Corey, I like my light and sweet with a bavarian chocolate covered donut please.

May I quote you again ?

Muahahahahahahaaaaa..... haahhahahaaaa... Booooooo.....

I give up man. When someone keeps coming at you but hasn't READ your posts, it's time to bail.

Can I have my coffee and puss donut to go ?

Thanks brother. I needed a pick-me-up.

2007/7/27 23:27

Re:

I belong to a baptist church. I feel as though God is moving me to another baptist church 15 miles further away. I waiting and praying for direction. SI members Please help me in those prayers. I think all the churches would be better off removing their sign and Pastor just seek God, study the scripture, open up their Bible and as the Holy Spirt leads and let it fly and preach the gospel, instead of trying to preach to fit the sign out front and appease the old geasers that say that's the way we always done it. Go back to the way Paul done it.

2007/7/27 23:30
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

The reaction to saintly advice:

Quote:
Muahahahahahahaaaaa..... haahhahahaaaa... Booooooo.....

I think I'm finished with this thread also. Thanks for the discussion.

Brother Paul

2007/7/27 23:35Profile

Re: Does everyone have a local chuch?

Quote:
reformer wrote:
Curious to know if people have a local body they attend? The reason why: I have been on this website and enjoy the discussions and sermons. Is it possible that we can get ourselves secluded from those in churches to don't have the passion and desire to know God the way this website promotes? The subject matter here is very encouraging and has been time test of spiritual truths; of course I didn't listen to every pastor and sermon so I truly don't know. Can we be in a danger to isolate ourselves? Because what I have been going through has been hard, wanting to see God more and Love Him more. To be sanctified for His Glory. I see that turning into cynicism for myself and need to reject that and pray for forgiveness. I can see how easily we can say 'they(in the churches) just don't get, they are got it so wrong.' I am not advocating heresy by any means. But I think it would be so easy to be self righteous and judgmental. If some or I feel that way I can see why some wouldn't want to go to church.

In His Love'
Reformer

(I read first question and then GrannieAnnie's last post and was truly amazed at what seemed to transpire in a matter of 12 hours and 7 pages later over this simple question.) I am reminded of Krispy's admonition that I read early this morning and thought, "How soon we forget." Or you guys must have not read it!!! Anyway, go grannie go!!!

So I'm only going to answer the original post! I have thought much about how sermonindex has played in my life in the last two years and even talked about it with a close friend. Approx a year or more before I left my church, I began listening to semons on sermonindex. The majority of these sermons remind me of the pastor I had growing up and who became "my" pastor when I gave my life to Jesus. I believe they played a minor part in my choosing to leave a church where to me there relationship with Christ was purely platonic. And I believe that was part of the Lord's plan. I was either going to have to become like them or leave. Thank God I left but I still pray for the leaders in that church for a love of the Truth to become part of their very being, so that they would rather please Christ than man.

Now, I have not regularly attended anywhere for the past year and two months. And one of the MAJOR reasons I left I read in Paul West's response:

Quote:
Paul West wrote:
The key to this "finding the right fellowship" dilemma is the same key to finding the right mate, ministry direction, etc.

Exactly, Brother Paul!! Except my key was submission. And when I bring this point up, most people's eyes glaze over because the Lord had been dealing with me on the subject of submission to authority for about two years before I left this church. The pastor himself "mislead" me in several areas of the church. I explained to him that I could no longer submit to his authority.

So I am taking my time praying and searching and seeking about who's authority on this earth (in the church area) God would have me submit to. And in the mean time, I am praying much and listening much to the wonderful sermons on here. Sometimes, I admit, I wonder if I'm dragging my feet a bit because i know how well I am being fed because I think these type of preachers are hard to find in Knoxville, TN. But I've not checked out every single pastor and church here either. But that is just my story, there are many others out there.

[edited out]

God bless SermonIndex and all the contributors on it!! Thank you.

2007/7/27 23:37

Re:

Didn't Paul spend 14 yr.s in the wilderness before he started working ? I can't remember my name right now.

I went to one Church up north that preached, "Poor brother Moses, had low self-esteem" .... oh my.

Poor brother Moses spent 40 years in the wilderness.

I haven't met one Christian who likes being in the wilderness AT ALL. Just emphasis, because I already explained, I moved 700 Miles away from all my friends and family to find a Church, if that's not enough miles for you all, then I'm reprobate. Ha. I'm sorry, this is getting me silly now. Slapped silly.

I got closer to the Lord during my times alone with Him and learning His Voice and all that wonderful stuff that He does inside a person than I ever did in any Church.

Ho, sometimes, people going to Church IS there righteousness, rather than wrestling with GOD until he touches them in that quiet place. Even if they have to limp away from that experience in the wilderness, while all that time LOOKING for a Church to go to. Hoy.

Bless ya all. I can't make it to Church every Sunday because of my health, but I'll tell you, read brother Lawrence's book someday or some like it and get in the very Presence of Him who we're supposed to represent, and see if it compares with most of your Services.

And I love my local Church more than life but I wouldn't trade one day that God met me in my non-voluntary solitude before I found that Church.

Gotta go eat my donut now.

2007/7/27 23:40

Re:

GrannieAnnie wrote:

Quote:
I was Assembly of God, so, can you see I wasn't looking for Doctrinal agreements as much as a genuine Pastor. As in a Good Shepherd.

sorry but I had to re-edit. i accidently deleted the quote your mentioned Annie, I don't know what happen, except that I am a knuckle hea. You mentioned about not understanding what you and corey are going thru or have gone thru. Thats what I wanted to respond too. SOrry for the mess up!!

No I can relate more than you think. It has taken me ups and down to find a church that I love. I came to know the Lord in 95, went to a charismatic church, then another and another. then I worked for a "christian" company for a few years that later to find out was a cult!! They did not believe in the trinity or the deity of Jesus Christ, works is what saves you. It wasn't like that in the beginning, but slowly the light began to reveal what it truly was, so during that time I was under a lot of spiritual warfare. wondering what was right and who to trust. it was a dark time for me, I stoppped going to church. I was confused and felt so decieved. But God used it show me His word and discern everything against scripture. During that time of not having a church home to lean on made it so much more difficult. I realized that my walk was inconsistent and I did not agree with the charismatic style. I needed something that was sound doctrinally. I ended up in a baptist church community. I love it, I don't claim to be a baptist and never will. But I agree with their doctrine and felt I can trust it. Even then finding a church was hard, I couldn't fit, I felt like everyone had an agenda and they were only be Christian like because they had too! I just didn't trust anyone. But over time God softened my heart and began to let people in and if they hurt me, I can only give them my other cheek! I do not have the strength to worry if people like me or not, if I can trust them or not. I only know is to trust in Him alone and love him and love my neighbor. God has blessed me with a good church, as I stated before, its not perfect, but I know I am far from perfection.

2007/7/27 23:41

Re:

Quote:
Corey, be a man and get past all that. I am only telling you the truth. If you're going to survive as a child of God in this world you have to grow some thick skin.

You're right! Maybe I'll turn a new leaf. Which church should I go to? The one teaching Rick Warren's poison? Or maybe the on with the preacher caught in the financial scam...? No, wait! How about the church where the big fat man went up and prophecied new houses, cars, and better paying jobs for the congregation? Or perhaps the church where my mom witnessed the priest doing the thrice-over on a twelve-year-old girl?

I tried to make it funny. But it isn't. It's so dreadfully sad.

"Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins."

2007/7/27 23:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy