SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Prayer Really The Answer?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is Prayer Really The Answer?

Is prayer really the answer??

2007/6/1 6:30

Re: Is Prayer Really The Answer?

The answer to what?

2007/6/1 7:06
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What is prayer?

ginnyrose

2007/6/1 8:27Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Prayer is part of the answer.

2007/6/1 8:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

2Ki 4:33 He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD.

Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Luk 9:29 And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.

2Ch 33:13 And prayed unto him: and he was intreated of him, and heard his supplication, and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD he was God.

Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Job 42:10 And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.

Jon 4:2 And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

Dan 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.

Mar 14:34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.

Luk 22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

[i]And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words. And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him. And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.[/i] Mar 14:35-41

Luk 5:16 And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exo 23:16 And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field.

Joh 4:38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

[i]Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.[/i] Mat 9:37,38

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luk 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

[i]Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? [/i] Luk 18:2-8

1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one is a firmer believer in the power of prayer than the devil; not that he practices it, but he suffers from it. ~Guy H. King

Prayer is the language of a man burdened with a sense of need. ~E.M. Bounds

Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which cannot be refused. ~ Spurgeon

It is possible to move men, through God, by prayer alone. ~ Hudson Taylor

[i]To your knees man![/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brother, I cannot speak for anyone but myself yet everything is only amountable to ruin without true, concentrated prayer. Every single instance of failure, drift, unkindness, compulsion\reaction detached from the Spirit, every waste, every ... anxiety, dis-belief, doubt, uprising of the flesh, ... I could go on and on and on ... When I am "off" spiritually speaking and that is always the root of being "off" in everything that follows, I know the cause. Half-hearted, distracted, ... undisciplined prayer avails [i]little[/i] I have found. It will ruin the best of whatever might be brought forth out of what I tend to think of as 'the reserves', those things that are hidden perhaps in the marrow but the repeating of them, clear as they may be even with a ultimate earnest undergirding them ... even to hear that some may have something of them is purely, accidental or maybe over ridden somehow ... what I am striving to say is it all can be done with a rather sinking feeling that they were borne forth of the flesh, the spirit is\was disengaged largely ... it all comes back to a lack of prayer.

Am speaking out of real time experience, there has been somewhat of a drift and that peculiar 'slow to hear' stupidity that almost could be compared to siting out side ones self and watching him make blunder after blunder all he time knowing exactly what he ought to be doing.

[i]Praying[/i]

The great and only honest answer to not doing so is, [i]because I don't feel like it[/i]. That is not to say there isn't some constant source of underling prayer going on, just that it is somewhat detached ... We ("I") can be so dull as to have to have some major crisis before there is a return to earnest, sustained and concentrated prayer. This unruly beast of the flesh is so dull not to recognize that every form of crisis prevention is inherent in just [i]praying[/i] period. I by [b]no[/b]* means mean that all things will go well in present circumstances, they may, they may not, it is irrelevant. What it does mean is that without prayer and the Holy Spirit up-taking there is nothing left than to be cast back upon ourselves, basically being left alone to fight our own battles. Such rubbish and nonsense! It comes full circle back to [i]"taking my thoughts by the scruff of the neck" (Joni Erikson Tada)[/i] and making them submit, forcing the medicine down the throat ... Do it anyway!

The devil is crafty as can be in drawing off in every subtle way, lessening the import of praying, anything to keep the saint from it. [i]Do not be deceived[/i] has more ramifications than we know.

The last few days have been those where I have had to get just ruthless with all this nonsense and the smiting of my stupidity and conviction largely coming from the seemingly simplicity of;

[i]couldest not thou watch one hour?[/i]

Oh, I am hardly even getting started here ...

;-)

*Edit, replaced the word "do" with "no", something of an important error and omission there.

2007/6/1 9:56Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Yes Yes Yes.

In His love
charlene

2007/6/1 13:41Profile
Compton

Re:

Yes prayer is the answer.

We may too quickly skip over prayer to remind one another of our duties, our calls to action, our sacrifices, and our willingness to obey no matter what the cost. Some feel most called to evangelism, others to foriegn missions, others to teach, others to serve, others to give and so on.

All of these callings are various and different fractions that make up Christian living.

Prayer is the Common Denominator for those fractions. If you don't feel led to pray...you're probably not being led at all.

Blessings,

MC

2007/6/1 14:08Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

I believe we are closest to God when we pray.
In reading about outstanding characters in christian history I've read many testimonies of the appearance of their faces actually changing while they prayed.
In the book Recluse in Demand Gerhard Tersteegen is said to have turned "as white as the wall" when he prayed.
In the memoir of Edward Payson he is said to have had a "seraphic appearance when he prayed."
E.P. also was known for having worn grooves in the wooden floor by his bed. :-)
Donald McPhail prayed and revival came to Barvas.
Yes, prayer is the answer.

2007/6/1 14:44Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Yes prayer is the answer.

We may too quickly skip over prayer to remind one another of our duties, our calls to action, our sacrifices, and our willingness to obey no matter what the cost. Some feel most called to evangelism, others to foriegn missions, others to teach, others to serve, others to give and so on.

All of these callings are various and different fractions that make up Christian living.

Prayer is the Common Denominator for those fractions. If you don't feel led to pray...you're probably not being led at all.

Amen
Brother.

This what I think wholeheartlty.
Prayer is what makes what we do, have power.
Showing it isn't us, but God.

In his love
charlene

2007/6/1 15:27Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: a house of prayer

Hi everyone.

I haven't read through much here though I did notice that brother Mike shared many passages about prayer. I appreciate your heart to pray brother Mike!

This morning in my devotional time this passage stood out to me, from the prophet Isaiah

"Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

[i]...for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people[/i]

Might consider this also....

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3869&commentView=itemComments]Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire[/url]

Chris

2007/6/1 15:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy