SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Derek Prince? Demonology

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"The Lord Himself is witness that we have the case of the woman who went to the theatre and came back possessed. Accordingly, in the exorcism, when the unlcean spirit was rebuked for having dared to attack a believer, he firmly replied, "And in truth I did it most lawfully, for I found her in my domain."

-Tertullian(Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs)

2006/5/23 15:58Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

I think that the term "possessed" once again must be clarified for all of us.

Possession implies absolute control over...

POSSES'SION, n. The having, holding or detention of property in one's power or command; actual seizin or occupancy, either rightful or wrongful. One man may have the possession of a thing, and another may have the right of possession or property.

A Christian cannot be possessed at all ever. That word does not even exist in the original greek of our manuscripts as I stated earlier...

Quote:
Evangelical Dictionary of Theology says:

The specilaized expression for Demon possession(daimonizomai) is not found in the scriptures. Scholars trace it to Josephus. The common synoptic construction is daimonion echein(to have a demon)

The word opression doesn't exist throughout in the New Testament ever.

Neither does the word possess according to the above the statement.

All we are left with is the verb that describes "to have" an unclean spirit. Or to be attacked vexed by spirit.

On top of that was the man with deaf and dumb spirit completely controlled by that spirit?

Mat 12:22 Then was brought to him a demoniac, blind and dumb, and he healed him, so that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. (YLT) Young's Literal Translation

No, only has vocal and optic areas were under control.

Nowhere in the scripture does in imply that even non-believers are fully controlled by demons, or possessed wholly. Many people that have demons have many reasoning faculties and other operative functions to carry out their normal life.

The extreme case wpuld be the Gadaresene. And that is the man we think about the most when thinking of demoniac's.
But even he went running to Jesus! Why would demons, a legion, cause a man to run to Jesus. They would rather run. I think the text implies the man had control of his body but not entirely, hence the struggle between him and the demons by going to Jesus.

2006/5/23 16:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy