SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Gate Beautiful... Salvation opportunity missed?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Gate Beautiful... Salvation opportunity missed?

Background reading.

The last verse of Acts 2 reads:

47 praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. 2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; 3 who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. 4 [b]And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us[/b]. 5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. 6 [b]Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk[/b]. 7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.

14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 15 and killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

19 Repent ...

Acts 4:1 And as they spoke unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, 2 being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. 3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. 4 Howbeit [b]many of them which heard the word believed[/b]; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

What I'd like to discuss is, whether you think/believe there is any scriptural evidence in the account of the healing at the Beautiful Gate, to enable us to conclude that the man was born again or filled with the Holy Spirit, when he was healed?

If he wasn't, then what reasons might we give for Peter having offered him [i]healing[/i] rather than [u]the salvation message[/u]?

Do you think Peter got it wrong?

If Peter was 'right', then should his strategy affect ours?

2006/3/20 9:08
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re: Gate Beautiful... Salvation opportunity missed?

The beggar stood up headed into the temple and was praising God. He sounds more fired up than most of the believers today. Is it possible he received salvation right after he was healed?

Murray

2006/3/20 9:37Profile

Re: Gate Beautiful ... Salvation opportunity missed?

Quote:
The beggar stood up headed into the temple and was praising God. He sounds more fired up than most of the believers today.

Ah murdog! .... "There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God..."

Does one have to be born again to praise God?

2006/3/21 11:21
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Dorcas,

You don't have to be born again to praise God which I know is what you were getting at. All I am saying is that after receiving his healing he got up went to church with Peter and John. I don't think the two of them would have let the beggar go away without hearing that Jesus died for his sins(the beggar's) and that he has to be born again. I don't know for sure, but those would be two guys I would have liked to gone to church with.

Murray

2006/3/21 11:37Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Dorcas,

I long to be able to use Peter's strategy (i.e. miraculous healing) but as is stands all I have are the words to say (gospel message).

Murray

2006/3/21 12:06Profile

Quote:
I long to be able to use Peter's strategy (i.e. miraculous healing)

Mark 16:17, 18
"And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, [u]and they [b]will[/b] recover[/u]."

You know, when David Wilkerson's newly converted drug addicts went on to the streets of New York with the gospel, no-one had told them the people they prayed for might not get healed.... so they believed .... and people were healed!

This is exactly what Duncan Campbell said about his training for the ministry... academic professors put it into the minds of students like him that the Bible might not be true in places, and the doubts it cast robbed his ministry of fruit for YEARS, until he returned to an original faith.

2006/3/21 12:52
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Increase My Faith!

2006/3/21 14:31Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Dorcas,

The last sentence in Acts 2 is "And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Then they heal the beggar in Acts 3:6 and then in verse 26 they say "When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways." The beggar was with Peter and John to hear all this and in verse 19 they said "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord"

In Chapter 4:4 it says "But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand."

I believe that beggar was one who believed, therefore a salvation opportunity was not missed.

Murray

2006/3/22 14:46Profile
Combat_Chuck

Re:

Oh boy, when I read about the rich young ruler-- it sure seems like Jesus missed a salvation opportunity! *wink wink*

2006/3/23 2:27Profile

Re: Gate Beautiful

The rich young ruler didn't want the answer he got, did he? He knew where his heart was - with his riches. [i]Jesus[/i] told him what he had to do, and he just wasn't prepared to.

The man at the Gate Beautiful was much more open-hearted, don't you think, in that when Peter said 'Silver and gold have I none', the cripple was not immediately uninterested in them? He still looked back at Peter [i]and received[/i] what Peter offered - his health,in the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

I'd like to discuss further, whether there is any biblical reason for Christians to hold back healing from a person who is not a believer....

It is that big question mark hanging over whether the cripple had some other experience than 'just healing', which makes this account so important, I believe. Luke could easily have dropped in a little word about how at that moment (of receiving his healing) he had been baptised in the Holy Spirit, or been born again.

But, the disciples were used to receiving a step by step revelation of how to draw near to God, and that's what they ministered to the people.

I wonder why we think we should do it differently?

2006/3/23 9:43

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy