SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Victory over Abortion, What about the Poverty?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Victory over Abortion, What about the Poverty?

A few nights I watched a news report about the success of the conservative Christians in closing abortion clinics – in (I think) Missouri and other states.
The reporters, of course, presented it through THEIR eyes. Yet they showed the Christians in a very respectable way, no militant, unreasonable behavor. They showed many groups praying around clinics. They showed a top-notch Christian youth choir singing in the court. They showed a five year old boy with a big bible in his hand preaching “Repent for the kingdom of heaven is near, Repent… ” It was all very touching.

But then, the reporters seemed to make the whole thing look like the work of man - the heavily concentrated conservative right who won by sheer power and influence.

Next the report showed the black-populated poverty-stricken areas and interviewed young black teenaged mothers. One spoke of her 13 yo pregnant sister, and was worried that she couldn’t handle it. A lot of concern was expressed about what would happen to all the births now that abortion was outlawed. They showed a “house” where unwanted babies were taken. In my area that house would receive a demolition order, never mind being approved as a child-care facility. They showed a group of black young women telling that “often” mothers will dispose of their babies.

The way the report was presented it made it seem like the white conservatives are doing nothing for to alleviate the rising social problem created by babies who would grow up and contribute to poverty and crime.

I think that the news media should have at least covered some of the good things the Christians are doing – like taking in pregnant teens, adopting their babies, building a shelter in their area – in other words prepare for the rising social problems created by the ban of abortion.

I’m sure that is being done, but of course, that was not presented. I’m peaking over the fence, from Canada, here. But, I did see the newscast, and I see through the eyes of the global village. From that perspective I think I do have a right to demand accountability for the churches’ actions. And I think that the black community requires it too. How are the churches defending the cause of the disadvantaged in their neighborhood?
Can anyone share some examples?
Think of the testimony that is to the world?

Can anyone clarify any faulty perceptions I may have?
Diane

2006/3/17 19:35Profile

Re: Victory over Abortion, What about the Poverty?

No faulty perceptions there Diane, but the liberals are those who permit the forms of media that these poor young people are exposed to that makes them think that sex is for them all, regardless of age and through movies and mostly music are killing our kids.

And the adoption laws make it hard for good folks to adopt. So many would love to but can't meet the financial requirements, etc..

So the blame is still on the liberal agenda and lack of morality.

This is a heavy burden and we can only pray and do our part on the local level by assisting crisis pregnancy minitstries and street witnessing to youth etc..

Lord bless your burden.

2006/3/17 21:41
roadsign

Re: not about whose fault

Quote:
So the blame is still on the liberal agenda and lack of morality

Annie, I really wasn't asking whose fault it was, just what the conservative church is doing to help - like, some organizations, trends, ...

I believe that media, music, and the neglect of the liberals are only superficial issues. The troubles go far deeper, back generations, and even lessons on morality just won't cut it. It could get a lot worse. May God have mercy on them and reveal himself to them.
Diane

2006/3/17 22:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Victory over Abortion, What about the Poverty?

I wouldn't want to marginalize the tragedies that some of the poverty stricken go through but I think there may be a faulty perception here.

If we stand against the killing of innocent human beings must we then also assume responsibility for all of societies ills? It seems puzzling to think that all social problems must be treated with the same moral intensity as the killing of an unborn fetus.

In the end I think this is really just a distraction from the real issue. The abortion debate is not about poverty or adoption or child support. It's about one thing, is the unborn a human being? Answer that question and all other arguments are moot.

Maybe the church could do more in the poverty stricken communities, in fact I'm sure we could but, what does that have to do with killing an innocent one?

By the way, The National Committee for Adoption estimates that 2 million American families want to adopt, but can't because of bureaucratic red tape.

Also, here's one example in my neighborhood of the church helping the disadvantaged with health care that includes gynecology and infant services. There are many others. [url=http://www.tncclinic.org/index.htm]Neighborhood Christian Clinic[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/17 22:37Profile

Re:

Diane, reading your post, you started it with the NEWS coming from both conservative and liberal statements, I answered that side ... and then went on to what the Church is to do.

Preach Christ and be there with services.

We see it here in this big Bible Belt, with thousands of Churches yet where's the help for the homeless, etc. etc. etc. ?

I worked street ministries and with teens for many years, and was one myself at one time ... we know from the Word where our actions should be ... but the "church" is too comfy with just talk and trusting Gov. to do it all.

I'm not big on arm chair critics; having gone into prisons to visit these woman and other places that nice christian ladies won't go to clean up puke and worse.

My heart is slightly grieved right now at what I see first hand in person, and not on the news.

You said, "it could get a lot worse" ,,, the Word says, "As it was in Noah's and Sodom's days" ... so if we're not already out there doing something, it's getting rather late.

2006/3/18 2:28
roadsign

Re: defend the fatherless

Quote:
Maybe the church could do more in the poverty stricken communities, in fact I'm sure we could but, what does that have to do with killing an innocent one?

A lot, I believe. When we defend the cause of the unborn and preserve their lives till birth, then we can't drop them at that point. That would be like condemning them to a life of misery. I suspect that the world sees it that way.

Think of all the verses in scripture that speak of defending those who can't stand up for their own rights. Israel was judged for their failure to to do so.

Isaiah 1:17 "Seek justice, encourage the oppressed Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."
... :23 they do not defend the case of the fatherless... therefore.... I will turn my hand against you."

I am partaking in a fundraising project for AIDS victims in Africa. I'm glad for those who are trying (though they are not believers) Yet, it feels like so little in in the huge sea of neediness.
Diane

2006/3/18 8:30Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
A lot, I believe. When we defend the cause of the unborn and preserve their lives till birth, then we can't drop them at that point. That would be like condemning them to a life of misery. I suspect that the world sees it that way.

If the world sees it that way, let's ask the world a few questions. What is it that makes an unwanted childs life miserable? Other people do. Unhappy children are unhappy because of the way they are treated.

If the world sees preserving the life of an innocent child as condemning that child to a life of misery then that is a rather startling admission. It amounts to saying something like this, "If we let this child live, I'm going to treat him so badly, I'll make life so miserable for him, he'll wish he was dead." It's an admission he would rather kill a child than do what is necessary to give him a meaningful life. Is this a good argument for abortion? Do you see what kind of people we're becoming?

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/18 9:09Profile
roadsign

Re: exploitation

Quote:
It's an admission he would rather kill a child than do what is necessary to give him a meaningful life.

Of course. It is the route of convenience. "I don't want to deal with this" - the spirit of anti-Christ, selfish, self-pursuits,

Goes way back... exploitation, social prejudice, .. all very muddy. It's been that way forever.

I find it interesting that the Old Testament Laws were set up to avoid exploitation and protect the disadvantaged. ex: no hording of wealth, give back land to original owner, liberate the slave, Year of Jubilee. etc....

But, Israel never got as far as the Year of Jubilee - merely one generation!
In no time the rich were getting richer, the poor poorer.
And it's never been any different.

I trust that the Christians are defending the cause of the needy in the courts - holding society accountable, setting the example... Is that not one of their primary callings?
Diane

2006/3/18 9:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy