SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Icy Wind of Poverty Blowing in the Air ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

Re:

Quote:
We thought to ourselves, there is nothing in us that can prepare us for what is coming.

Then we concluded that the most important thing we can do is to point the people to Christ. If Christ becomes the Rock, what storm can prevail?

Quote:
Finances mean nothing to the Elect who walk in the Protection of His Truth.

They need nothing more. His Will is their "meat".

Amen Jeff, Rahman, and Annie

We Christians have to navigate between a thousand prophets on our left and a thousand more on our right. Some prophets are pointing and laughing saying, "Look! Angels are pouring bowls of blessings on our heads!" and other prophets are pointing and crying, "Look! Bowls of wrath are being poured out!"

What we really need 'sight' of is Jesus.

MC

2006/3/20 15:56Profile
Compton

Re: America the Debtors

Thanks for your response Rahman.

I hope I didn't seem that I was 'sharply' disagreeing...I think I was trying to telecsope into your premise a little more. I can certainly see how revival and financial struggles are linked.

Thanks for the info you've sent along.

I have an antique "History of Christianity in America" book published in the late 1800's. I think you might find it interesting that when it came to the Revolutionary War, the book did not sing our modern familiar "God Bless America" chorus. Instead the text laments the historical fact that the war for independence distracted the American Church from spiritual affairs and set our Christian theology on a steady course of caring for temporal affairs of state.

That "history" of the Revolutionary War was written over a hundred years ago. Isn't it ironic? America the free has become a nation of debtors! Apparently we have forgotten that there is a Gospel higher then the Declaration of Independence. We will have no liberty untill we are bound to Christ!

Love you bro!

MC

2006/3/20 16:26Profile
Rahman

Re: America the Debtors

Bro. Mike you wrote;

"I hope I didn't seem that I was 'sharply' disagreeing...I think I was trying to telecsope into your premise a little more. I can certainly see how revival and financial struggles are linked."

Sharply disagreeing? ... Ha! ... ha! ... No my brother it doesn't seem that way at all ... Trust me, from someone who has been "sharply" disagreed with ...

I also wanted to point out that in the history of the first Great Depression i posted it states that no revival came out of it per-se, but it did get folks attention ... It's my own personal belief that revival will come out of this next one, and that because i believe Holy Spirit has told me that it's coming, tho He did not expressly say that it would come out of this economic decline - so for the record this is something i've formulated in my own reasoning in that so many of America's debtors are in fact believers ...

You continued;
"I have an antique "History of Christianity in America" book published in the late 1800's. I think you might find it interesting that when it came to the Revolutionary War, the book did not sing our modern familiar "God Bless America" chorus. Instead the text laments the historical fact that the war for independence distracted the American Church from spiritual affairs and set our Christian theology on a steady course of caring for temporal affairs of state."

You know Mike i don't know much about this, but i wonder if that was the start of "the social Gospel" that seemed to become a ever increasing part of the Church ... I know it was in full effect by the time of the Civil Rights Movement ...

You finished;
"Isn't it ironic? America the free has become a nation of debtors! Apparently we have forgotten that there is a Gospel higher then the Declaration of Independence. We will have no liberty untill we are bound to Christ!"

Amen ... May that final point be made clear to all we that are washed in His Blood ...

love you to bro! ... :-D

Rahman

2006/3/20 17:02Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
It's my own personal belief that revival will come out of this next one, and that because i believe Holy Spirit has told me that it's coming, tho He did not expressly say that it would come out of this economic decline...

This connects some things in your original post for me.

Quote:
...so for the record this is something i've formulated in my own reasoning in that so many of America's debtors are in fact believers ...

It's funny, but I think all of us can probably recall a time where some poor brother was praising God in church testimony for the blessing of a new car or house...never realizing God hadn't quite given it yet...at least not untill a 180 mortgage payments had been made! Still, those of us in the congregation would applaud just the same! (weeee! A big fat payment book!:-P )

For the vast majority of Americans today, credit is the only door to home ownership. That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't that homes are trending more expensive and more expansive. My goodness, I remember the kind of 'average' house being built when I was a kid...today everywhere I drive I see mile after mile of cavernous residential architecture with price tags starting in the basement of $200,000 and shooting up.

Thankfully I do know of many believers who have downsized, and many more young ones who are more cautious about grabbing all the credit they can get. I also have some relatives whose individual familes were separated or broken either through death or divorce...so they purchased a home and became a reformed household together. It's become a rare sight in the US, to see several generations of family all living under one small roof, sharing expenses and chores...from grandmother to schoolchildren.

Maybe they are a peek at many of our futures. Family men, better make sure your in-laws like you! :lol:

MC

2006/3/20 18:36Profile
Rahman

Re: The Icy Wind of Poverty Blowing in the Air ...

Bro Mike you wrote;
"It's funny, but I think all of us can probably recall a time where some poor brother was praising God in church testimony for the blessing of a new car or house...never realizing God hadn't quite given it yet...at least not untill a 180 mortgage payments had been made! Still, those of us in the congregation would applaud just the same! (weeee! A big fat payment book! )

For the vast majority of Americans today, credit is the only door to home ownership. "

You know when i was coming up my dad always quoted to us the scriptures "Be content with such things as you have" and "Godliness with contentment is great gain", these whenever my bro's and myself "wanted" some newest trend that other kids had, and my dad would'nt supply because as he explained it wasn't a "need" ... Needless to say i hated his admonition, and vowed that when i got grown i'd get whatever i wanted ... Well i grew up and that's exactly what i began to do, satisfy my material wants ... But a major problem arose, my wants were bigger than my income ... And after i got married and began to have children my wants continued to grow, because satan is always presenting us with something bigger and more expensive to want, and then i found that now my wife and my kids had their own set of wants, which clashed with mine, and the next thing i knew my debt level was totally out of control ... My dad (died @ 63) and mom (now 80) lived their entire lives almost debt free ... Why? ... Because they were only primarily motivated by our/their "need" and not "want" - and what's more they only looked to God in the supply of their need (which as my dad said is what He promised us) ... Not so with us youngers, particularly us "boomers"...

i certainly praise God for my job/income ... And i don't have any problem with praising God for supplying our needs via reasonable credit in ratio to our income, but our going way out on a credit limb to supply our own wants and then having the audacity to attach God's name to it as if it was a blessing from Him is what sets my teeth on edge ... i think all we working class folk know that more than likely we're gonna have debt in at least two areas, a house and a car, but serious supplication to God in guidance toward these purchase, and listening to His scriptural admonition will be the difference between our fulfilling a "need" instead of tying a millstone around our necks via a want ... An example for me was is in 2001 when i needed a good dependable car to get me back and forth (50 miles a day) to work ... What i wanted was a Benz, S-Class preferably, 430 if i had to, E Class as a last resort ... Well i found that i couldn't even afford the E Class comfortably ... Even tho i already knew better began to plot and plan, then i relented to seeking the Lord ... i simply said to Him, "Lord, what car do You want me to have? ... Make it plain to me, and i'll get it because i know if i get what You have for me it will be a blessing and not a curse" ... Our Lord opened up a way for me to get a brand new Maxima in 2001 with a car/insurance note i could afford ... i didn't even have to hassle with the salesman for a good price, He opened up the door for that via a guy i'd just recently hired ... i'm still driving that car, and bless God it hasn't given me one once of trouble since i had it ...

You continued;
"That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't that homes are trending more expensive and more expansive. My goodness, I remember the kind of 'average' house being built when I was a kid...today everywhere I drive I see mile after mile of cavernous residential architecture with price tags starting in the basement of $200,000 and shooting up."

Ha! ... ha! ... that's all the work of the master deciever to pull us out into deeper waters via our wants overiding common-sense, even God-sense in us believers ... i've already posted much on this Real Estate Fiasco and the Fed, Fannie and Freddie, etc. being in cahoots to artificially drive up home prices to sucker us into borrowing against the equity to keep the "want" machine churning ... Only thing now is there's not to much debt money capability left for the masses to fuel the machine, and soon the machine will begine to devour the masses via repo's and forclosures ... All because of greed, and not learning to be content with the supplying of our needs ...

Praise God that you know some folk who have downsized, i don't know any, but then most of the saints i know, and have attempted to sound alarm to, are greatly tainted by the "seed for greed" prosperity ministers ... And i totally agree with what you wrote concerning renewed generational communal living amongst blood families, as i also totally believe that the family of Christ is about to be re-introduced to the same type of early church communal sharing, soon and very soon ...

You know bro. Mike this thread has made me go back down memory lane as to when and how our Lord began to minister to me about the craziness of the American economy and where it was headed, and my own need for taking financial responsibility and developing His definition of wise stewardship, and His prompting of me to share it with others ... In retrospect i can't see where it did much good with those i attempted to tell, but i sure can see where it's been of extreme benefit to me presently - and if it be His will in future also.

2006/3/21 10:52Profile
Rahman

Re: ARE WE BOOMERS, AS A GENERATION, REAPING WHAT WE'VE SOWN?

In my most recent AARP magazine it had an extensive article on how corporations are "freezing" out traditional pensions and replacing them with 401K's ... It also talked about how this is hurting the retirement plans of older workers between 50 & 65, most of all baby-boomers (we born between 1946 - 1964), in that out traditional pensions have been interupted ... Traditional pensions from what i'm told actually acrue the most money in the last 10 to 15 years before retirement age, and older workers thrown into new 401K's don't really have the time necessary to really benefit greatly from a 401K ... This had happened to me personally ... The company i've worked for for the past 18 years was taken over by a new company, and all of a sudden they froze my old pension plan, and threw me into a 401K ... To make matters worse the old pension plan lost money in the stock market and until it makes it back can't pay out the 60K that's my portion ... Needless to say this has caused great concern amongst the older employees on my job, but not me because i trust in our Lord - which is my witness to them ... Anyhow this is the link for anyone interested;

AARP RADIO
The Great Risk Shift
http://www.aarp.org/fun/radio/pt_radio/great_risk_shift.html

But this thread and this article has made me wonder about something regarding my rebellious generation ... My generation who tore down all the ethical and moral barriers of our parents and grand-parents generations ... My drug stupored, sexually emancipated, free from God fearing hippies in the 60's, cocaine using disco-ducks in the 70's, money greedy yuppies in the 80's and mass practitioners of abortions, divorces and broken homes generation ... Is it by accident that we the generation that opened up so much demonic activity in our niave spiritual stupidity are the ones who stand to suffer the most in America's economic decline? ... Here we are now in our 50's/60's, at a time when many will be looking to aid from our pensions (because most in my "want" driven generation haven't saved much), social security, medicare and medicaid, and other government programs for the elderly, and our government for all intensive purposes is bankrupt, just at this precise time when our generation, the biggest to ever hit our government's hand out system is beginning to hit it ... If it wasn't for my faith in Christ Jesus, and the more humble repentant attitude it's made me have before God, all that our Lord has made me see would scare me to fear and trembling ... History proves to me that my generation known as "the activist generation" were in many way activist for satan, now at present and in future i pray that we will become just as activist for the cause of Christ ... For out of this coming chaos i see Revival and harvest and a blessed time of a shining city on the hill for the Church of Jesus Christ ... If i am wrong then i pray our Lord to correct me, but my dearest hope is that i am not ... Amen

2006/3/21 11:02Profile

Re: The Icy wind of poverty...

Hi Rahman,

Did you read a post by TS at the end of p9 in the Revival Idolatry thread...? (2 cents) Think you both might be singing from the same hymnsheet.

2006/3/21 11:18
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Rahman wrote:

Quote:
In my most recent AARP magazine

I turn 50 in April. Does that qualify me for the AARP?

Life is passing sooo fast.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/21 11:37Profile
Rahman

Hi Sis. Dorcas ...

i just went over and read the comments by TS on Revival Idolatry and 2 Cents ... And you're right we do sing from, as you say, the same hymn sheet ... That's one of the things i truly love about SI, in that had our Lord not directed me to it i would have never known that he had others, in different parts of the world, proclaiming the same things, just as i would have never known that there were so many other saints hungering for a fresh, spirit/soul/flesh cleansing out pouring of God's Spirit to wash away the stain of worldliness that so many of us bear ... The other thing that our Lord has honed in me via SI is the fine skill of "being as wise as a serpent, but as gentle as a dove" ... i've found that the whole "correction, repentance, revival message" is one that the proclaimer has to learn to proclaim in humility, selflessness and love (all of which ain't easy) ...

Also i've not listened to Wilkerson's "The Redeemer is Returning to Zion" yet, but i have it bookmarked to do so ...

Blessings in Christ Jesus!

Bro. R

2006/3/21 12:47Profile
Rahman

Brother Jeff wrote:

Quote:
"I turn 50 in April. Does that qualify me for the AARP?"

Yes it does bro, and may i suggest you sign up as soon as you turn 50 cause you get all kinds of discounts thru them ...

AARP Member Discounts and Services
http://www.aarp.org/aarp_benefits/

The AARP is a very powerful lobby for us "oldsters" and the mag will keep you abreast of the things that concern us at this age our Lord has been so gracious enough to keep us to ... Thru them i've supported at least one org. determined to keep SS the private fund it was always meant to be, and not allow the Congress to get it's money grubbin hands on it to play in the stock market ... Who knows if my/our attempts will prevail, or even matter in a depression, but then i'm of the ilk that it's better to try and fail than to just sit back and bemoan while everything goes to hell in a hand-basket ...

You also said;
Quote:
"Life is passing sooo fast."

You know i've said this before, but i must not have enjoyed, or be enjoying my life as much as some others because my life thus far hasn't/doesn't seem short to me ...

Blessings in Christ bro Jeff!

Bro R

2006/3/21 12:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy