SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Quotes from the past: Clement of Rome (30-102)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Quotes from the past: Clement of Rome (30-102)

[b]Quotes from the past: Clement of Rome (30-102)[/b]

[b]1.[/b] Let us lay aside all vain and empty cares, and let us rise up to the glorious and venrable rule of our calling. Let us look steadfastly to the blood of Christ, and see how precious His blood is in the sight of God.

[b]2.[/b] Let us hold fast to those who follow peace, and not to such as only pretend to desire it.

[b]3.[/b] Consider the trees. Take the vine for an example. First it sheds its leaves; then it buds; after that it spreads its leaves; then it flowersl then come the sour grapes; and after them follows the ripe fruit. Of a truth, yet a little while, and His will shall suddenly be accomplishedl the Holy Scripture itself bearing witness that He shall quickly come, and not tarry; and that the Lord shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Holy One whom ye look for.

[b]4.[/b] We also, being called by the same will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, neither by our own wisdom, nor knowledge, nor peity, nor the works which we have done; but by the faith by which God Almighty has justified men from the beginning; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

[b]5.[/b] March on, men and brethren, with all earnestness in His holy laws.

[b]6.[/b] Wherefore are there strifes, and anger, and divisions, and wars amongst us. Have we not all one God and one Christ? Has not one Spirit been poured out upon us? Have we not one calling in Christ?

[b]7.[/b] Let us every hour expect the kingdom of God, in love and righteousness, because we know not the day of Christ's appearing.

[i]taken from 'Words Old and New' by Horatious Bonar[/i]

2003/12/22 23:29Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Quotes from the past: Clement of Rome (30-102)

Clement of Rome was an amazing bishop. He is believed to be the one mentioned in Paul's epistles. Although he was a bishop to Rome, he had a heart for the Corinthians. The Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians was considered holy scripture for a time and was collected with other books of the Bible. This along with the Shepherd of Hermas and the Epistle of Barnabas.

2004/2/10 17:58Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hulsey wrote Clement of Rome was an amazing bishop. He is believed to be the one mentioned in Paul's epistles. Although he was a bishop to Rome, he had a heart for the Corinthians. The Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians was considered holy scripture for a time and was collected with other books of the Bible. This along with the Shepherd of Hermas and the Epistle of Barnabas.

Please forgive my pedantry. Most scholars do not think Clement of Rome is the Clement of Paul's letters, and he was not a 'bishop' in the later sense of that word. The letter is a letter from "the Church of God that sojourns in Rome to the Church of God that sojounrs in Corinth". (I LOVE that phrase) Clement may have been part of the eldership in Rome at that time, he may have been the 'corresponding secretary' of the church in Rome. but there is no evidence that he had any priority over other elders, nor that such a system existed in Rome at that time.

Personally I find I & II Clement fascinating but disappointing scraps of history. There is such a difference in the spirit of these writings to that which pervades the scriptures, notwithstanding some peculiar historical oddities e.g. Clement's proof of resurrection from the legendary Phoenix.

Just my opinion, but the important thing I wanted to protest was the possible notion of monarchical bishops at this early date. Having said all that I think Bonar culled the best part of it, though edited.

2004/2/10 23:39Profile
Jason

Re:

Are you talking about the same Clement I'm thinking of (and holding the letter of in my hand)?

You are talking about a man who helped (with his letter) to move the Church from the organism of the Apostles to the dead formalism we so often see today.

If you read his letter, it reads an awful lot like something that might have come out of the good ole' Shepherding Movement of the 70's and 80's.

I am not a Clement fan.

2004/2/22 13:34Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I am referring to the letter from the church of God that sojourns at Rome to the church of God that sojourns at Corinth. I find Clement disappointing, as I said, however if you really want to see the trend you identify making strides read Ignatius' letters on his way to martyrdom in Rome. "Do nothing without the bishop"!!

2004/2/26 9:14Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Philo,

True, there are scholars who are sure this is not the Clement referred to in scripture, but there are scholars who are sure, but neither one are completely sure. There is enough evidence to say this is probably not the same guy, but there is enough to say maybe. There is no empirical evidence to decesively go in either direction. While I referred to him as a bishop I didn't call him "the" bishop. I guess I should have used the word elder. I didn't mean to say he was the one in charge at Rome. At this point in Church history leadership was certainly shared. There are many writings attributed to Clement that are considered not to be his.

Jason,

There is more than one Clement. The others I'm not a big fan of either. There are also many writings with Clement's name, but probably have a different author.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/2/26 11:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy