SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Attn all scrutinizing bible experts!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
coops

Attn all scrutinizing bible experts!

Hey all,

With this "Free bible college" link on the left, I think it would help so many on SI heaps.

The question is: Is it biblically sound? Well, I don't have a thorough knowledge of the bible (yet) - well not enough to pick out subtle problems.

So, if anyone feels like have a look at what this bible college teaches, try their first course: [url=http://www.amesbible.org/courses/otsurvey.pdf]OT Survery (pdf)[/url]. Also, they have a [url=http://amesbible.org/faith.html]statement of docrine[/url] too.

Some feedback for & from other SI members would be great, this could be something that heaps of us benifit from - provided what it teaches biblically sound.

:-)

2006/3/14 6:25Profile

Re: Attn all scrutinizing bible experts!

Sound doctrine ? Isn't that a divisive word ?

Aren't people who desire or seek sound doctrine arrogant or something ?

Doesn't sound doctrine bring division in the Body ?

Aren't we not to be so nit-picky and eat from every pasture out there ?

And Lord knows, if you've studied to try to stay sound, what will the others say about you coops ?

Don't you know that earnestly seeking sound doctrine is going against the flow or revivals and phenomena and the such ?

Why can't we all just get along and throw that term sound doctrine out ? O.K. ?

But if none of this above appeals to you, congratulations brother and I'd PM RobertW and ask him to look at it for you.

The end of my 2 cents about things.

Love you coop.

2006/3/14 7:59

I think they seem pretty straight. The only thing I would draw attention to is this:

Quote:
We believe in the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, as contained in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, as the sole revelation of the mind and will of God, [b]and we accept them in their original form as the divine Word of God.[/b]

In other words, they dont believe we have the divine Word of God today... which is code for "use whatever version you like". I have some real issues with the Modern Versions.

Krispy

2006/3/14 8:47
Logic

Re:

Quote:

MeAgain wrote:
Sound doctrine ? Isn't that a divisive word ?

Aren't people who desire or seek sound doctrine arrogant or something ?

Doesn't sound doctrine bring division in the Body ?

And Lord knows, if you've studied to try to stay sound, what will the others say about you coops ?

Don't you know that earnestly seeking sound doctrine is going against the flow or revivals and phenomena and the such ?

Why can't we all just get along and throw that term sound doctrine out ? O.K. ?

But if none of this above appeals to you, congratulations brother and I'd PM RobertW and ask him to look at it for you.

The end of my 2 cents about things.

Love you coop.

Anny, what you said worries me. do you not know that Doctrin is this sword that Jesus is talking about here: Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the world. No, I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Why do you think Jesus said Rev 2:15 So has thou also them that hold the [b]doctrine[/b] of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Please rethink your stance on this, or you will open yourself up to very bad things.

The sword or doctrin is what divides.
So doctrin is a divisive word but those who desire or seek sound doctrine are not arrogant but wise. Sound doctrine brings division in the Body by weeding out the hericies.
Quote:

I will be nit-picky, but you can eat from Benny Hinns' or Kenneth Copplands' pasture if you want and I will shun that doctrine.
Quote:

Are you saying that the "laughing revival" and those that came from it like the Toronto Airport Vineyard revival or Brownsville or the Pensicola are valled? They weren't earnestly seeking sound doctrine.

The way we get along is by the unity of the Holy Spirit.
Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

1Ti 1:10 for the immoral, for sexual perverts, for kidnappers, for those who lie and give false testimony or who do anything else contrary to sound doctrine.

2Ti 4:3 The time will come when people will not listen to sound doctrine, but will follow their own desires and will collect for themselves more and more teachers who will tell them what they are itching to hear.

Tit 2:1 But you must teach what agrees with sound doctrine.

2006/3/14 10:23Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro logic
i think sis annie was being sarcastic...

2006/3/14 10:37Profile
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re: sarcasm

I love you Annie! I caught your sarcasm and meaning. But sarcasm can be very dangerous. As servants of God we need to be cautious that we say what we mean and mean what we say. I pray that others did not get the wrong idea from your words.

Jeff

2006/3/14 10:47Profile
Logic

Re:

Oh, sorry, I feel stupid. I was wondring then why she added that last sentance then,because that was the sarcastic sounding part. It would relieve me if she was. it realy bothered me that a true christian would think that way.
It also reminded me of the sinners favorite bible quote "don't judge". Sound doctrine makes us judge useing His Word for the basis of the judgment that we use, and that comes from sound doctrine.

2006/3/14 10:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

I scanned through the outline of it's OT Survey, and personally found it to be a little weak.

For example, it talks about "the day of the Lord" as used by the OT prophets, and automatically links is with the 7 year tribulation period, when in fact the OT prophets used the phrase "the day of the Lord" mostly to describe impending destruction coming upon whatever city they were prophesying against.

Also, the author of this document seemed to view the Song of Songs in a much more allegorical fashion (e.g. As a symbol of the relationship between Christ and His Church). Frankly, though this is a valid interpretation of the Song of Solomon, it is hardly the main purpose of the writing. Song of Songs is frankly about a hot romantic relationship between a husband and wife. One ought not push the allegorical interpretation too far.

I'd say in general, this "school" looks like it is "ok" at best. You'd probably be better off getting an OT Survey book of some sort. This OT survey outline doesn't even touch on some very important issues. It seems like it's simply a "look up these verses" type survey, which really isn't much of a survey. The more I look at the survey, it looks oversimplistic.

A better OT survey book would at least give you some basic background information and such. This survey seems like something you might find in a sunday school, not a bible school.

I say this with having a B.A. in Christian Ministry and a concentration in Biblical Studies, as well as currently going through 6 classes at seminary.

2006/3/14 11:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Also, their doctrinal stance is typical conservative and evangelical. They call themselves "spirit-filled" which can be interpreted in different ways depending on if you are S. Baptist or Pentecostal. I would guess they lean towards a more Charismatic/Pentecostal mindset, though I don't see anything that says such for sure.

2006/3/14 11:11Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

In other words, they dont believe we have the divine Word of God today... which is code for "use whatever version you like". I have some real issues with the Modern Versions.

Or in otherwords, they are not "King James Only."

2006/3/14 11:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy