SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Some questions to those who would leave the sheep without a shepherd

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

PastorFrin,

Thank you for speaking the truth in love. I had already discerned that you are a rare breed. I see a few other differneces but you definitely covered the ones that are pertinent to this thread.

I pray God's richest blessings upon you as you shepherd His flock.

Love in Christ,
Jeff

2006/3/24 21:11Profile
pastorfrin

Re:what some of us are against

Hi dorcas,
Could you please explain what exactly you mean by
the word against. Also, who are the some of us in
your statement? Does this mean you and the Lord?
You and commentators and translators? You and other brothers and sisters in the Lord? The word against,is a very strong statement on your part
and I was just wondering on what premise this is being made.
To avoid any misunderstanding its important to know exactly where you are coming from, otherwise any response would be pure spectulation.

Thanks Linn,

In His Love,

pastorfrin

2006/3/25 9:18Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
The religious system in America is not the Church of Jesus Christ, its corporate pastors serve the flesh and not the Spirit, and its time for true men and women of God to stand up and say WAKE UP AMERICA YOU ARE LIVING A LIE!

Thank you Pastorfrin! May the Lord abundantly bless you with all spiritual blessings as you walk in obedience and boldness.......we surely do need to wake up and SEE as the Lord sees.......In Him, Cindy

2006/3/25 9:59Profile

Re: Some questions to those who would leave the sheep without a shepherd

dorcas said

Quote:
I've realised your singular (lone) 'shepherd' in the title of the thread, is what some of us are [b]against[/b].

But, it is [b]rare to find [u]a body of elders[/u] who share oversight[/b], [u]such as philologos describes[/u] in the church where he is one of those in that 'body of elders'.

To pastorfrin,

Ah!

First of all, I was thinking that you yourself are not [i]for[/i] one man being expected to bring all the ministry a flock needs, to it, single-handedly. You are advocating [i]Body ministry[/i] Ephesians 4-style. I am in complete agreement with that scriptural concept.

I'm surprised you find the word 'against' any stronger than calling on America to stop living 'a lie' but I can see it could be taken to further extremes than I had in mind. For instance, I meant to put myself on the side of scripture.... not aligning myself with any other 'discipline' outside scripture, such as a school of theological thought, (commentators and translators).

In that, I would definitely include other brothers and sisters [i]and THE LORD[/i], who left [u]a group of men[/u] in charge of the fledgling Church.

There are only 10 posts in the following thread, which discussed the possible outworking of a 'plurality of elders'.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6762&forum=35]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6762&forum=35[/url]

I realise this is not quite the same as a plurality of 'shepherds', as has been discussed recently in a different thread, (Pastor, husband of one wife?) and was clearly alluded to in this one on pastors.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9289&forum=35]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9289&forum=35[/url]

The 'us' is something to do with a house church ... dare I say [i]mentality[/i]... and the thought that the Church itself is the people, (not the buildings with which they burden themselves), who are [u]the Body of Christ[/u].

Have I covered everything that was bothering you?

2006/3/25 10:35
pastorfrin

Re: have I covered everything

Hi Linn,
Yes you have, but I was'nt bothered, only concerned that my answer might be coming from a totally different direction, or different page
than the one you are on. Now I can address the issue from the same perspective. Thanks!
Regarding the word against and lie, I hope to cover that soon.

:-) In His Love,

pastorfrin

2006/3/25 11:25Profile
pastorfrin

Re: Thank you

Hi Cindy,Jeff and Annie,
Hope you don't mind Cindy, I'm trying to save space.
I want to thank all of you for your response and
I do covet your prayers. Lets all sigh and cry
together, and agree together for the Lord's will
to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen!

God Bless you all,

pastorfrin

p.s. Have a blessed weekend! :-D

2006/3/25 11:39Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
So all you buzzards who want to live in the desert and fly around and land on a piece of meat that has been rotting in the sun, go to it, all the power to you.

Quote:
And us Eagles who fly higher in God will light on living meat and swoop down and take it by force.

Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Pro 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

2006/3/25 13:16Profile
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

Dorcas said:

"In that, I would definitely include other brothers and sisters and THE LORD, who left a group of men in charge of the fledgling Church.

There are only 10 posts in the following thread, which discussed the possible outworking of a 'plurality of elders'.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6762&forum=35

I realise this is not quite the same as a plurality of 'shepherds', as has been discussed recently in a different thread, (Pastor, husband of one wife?) and was clearly alluded to in this one on pastors."

Hi Linn,

What makes plurality of elders different than a plurality of shepherds? Didn't Paul say,

Acts 20:17-18

17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called to him the elders of the church.

18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them,...

Acts 20:28-31

28 Take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit hath made you bishops, to feed the church of the Lord which he purchased with his own blood.

29 I know that after my departing grievous wolves shall enter in among you, not sparing the flock;

30 and from among your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.

31 Wherefore watch ye,
ASV

Is not Paul saying that the elders are to feed, inspect, and proctect the flock? to be shepherds?
Not every shepherd must preach in order to feed the flock. One Preacher is incapabable of personally inspecting and protecting 100+ sheep. So why should there not be a cooperative, unified effort by a plurality of elder/shepherds to work among the sheep?

I believe PastorFrin hit the nail on the head. Many in the pulpits are not there to care for the sheep but are there to govern the corporation and reap its benefits. If a man or woman is called of God to shepherd His sheep then that individual will be so consumed with the well being of the sheep that he will accept all the help that he can get without concern for who is 'chief' or who gets the credit. After all it is Christ's Church, and Christ's flock.

Love ya!
Jeff

2006/3/25 13:24Profile

Re: Some questions to those who would leave the sheep without a shepherd

Hi Jeff,

I think I may not have been crystal clear in that paragraph in which I mentioned pastors. I realise on re-reading it, that you might think the thread which I name - the recent thread 'Pastor, husband of one wife?' - is the thread which will appear if you follow the link - when in fact the link leads to 'What is a pastor, and what do they do?'

I apologise for any confusion, and would ask whether you looked up that link, as it brings a different slant to the meaning of 'pastor', than 'elder'. Also, there is no 'gift' of eldership in Eph 4. That is another part of the discussion - although of course, pastors and teachers may become elders. However, they are not synonymous. Having said that, functionally, there may be similarities, even if the 'elder' is not [i]gifted[/i] as a pastor/teacher.

To understand why I said 'I realise this is not quite the same as a plurality of 'shepherds', as has been discussed recently in a different thread,' you would have to see whether you disagree with philologos's exposition of scripture.

I don't have a reason to disagree with how he explains it but there is a world of difference between what scripture enables us to understand of the role of 'shepherd' as may be in God's heart, and what is practised in many churches today where a lone man tries to field the needs of an entire congregation.

2006/3/25 14:38
pastorfrin

Re:To crsschk

Thanks Mike,
Have been going to respond to those quotes for some time now. Decided to just pray for the person instead.
You handled it very well,I have Prov.16:18 hanging above my computer as a reminder. Only time seems to show us how true it is.

In Christ Love,

pastorfrin

2006/3/25 16:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy